lazerq3

Where are all the EXPERTS!!!??

I notice all the time when someone has a question most of the responces start out "well I'm no expert" or "I only have ### jumps so I'm not an expert but "......so where are the experts. I mean when do people consider themselevs to give expert advice? Are ther any true experts in this sport? I mean if you know your shit, and back it 100% then bring it on. I figure someone with thousands of jumps should be able to consider themselves experts in something of this sport. I mean you dont hear micheal jordan saying "well I'm no expert in basketball but I think..." ....hell no....He knows his shit and will tell you!!! You dont have to be cocky or egotistical to know your shit....So alls I'm saying is if you know your shit ..tell us.....theres nothing wrong with being an "EXPERT". I consider a lot of people on this site to be experts and give "expert" advice!!!!
DISCLAIMER: I on the other hand am not an expert ;)
jason

Its way easier to avoid the flames that are sure to follow ant hot post if its got a disclaimer on it. Why do you think I avoid canopy discussions anymore? I got tired of being flamed about some of the shit that tons of people could prove with me, but some poeple just don't get...
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

I think most people are just leaving themselves an out just in case there is some minor point that is slightly incorrect. If a person claims to be an expert, then he'll be held to a much higher standard and unfortunatley a lot of ridicule in a public forum such as this.
Then again, when it comes to human behaviour, I'm no expert.
quade
http://futurecam.com

Well, in my non expert opinion......LOL..........I only have 433 jumps.........ha ha ha.........I have heard many experts at my DZ, from riggers with thousands of jumps, to jumpers with 30 years in the sport, to AFF instructors, etc, etc, etc and they all talk about the "100 jump" jumpers and how they are the most dangerous people on the dropzone because after 100 jumps, confidence levels go up and early "skygod" mentalities begin to be formed. "100 jump wonders" as I've heard the term, are known known for offering their expert opinions to the newbie 20 jump jumpers and often times giving bad info. I've seen it, we've all probably seen it. Anyways, where I come from giving your jump numbers or saying "I'm not an expert" is a way of saying "this is only my opinion from what I have experienced, evaluate the validity of my advice using your own good judgement." So, I see all of our "I'm not an expert" statements as just that, a validation of the information as opinion rather than fact. I mean there are definitely jumpers out there with 100 jumps that have more knowledge than higher jump number jumpers, it's all about currency in my mind. Anyways, that's my .03 (sorry for the novel post, I'm not a DZ.COm expert yet.......LOL)
"I live to EFS"
ToM

Well, and I could be wrong about this, and I hope someone with more experience/knowledge/etc will correct me if I am, but imho.... I have all the answers. I don't guarantee the correctness of those answers of course... ;)
pull and flare,
lisa
---
Mondays suck

I don't know shit!!!! lol
All I can tell you is what I have done :) That makes me an expert on what? Nothing? Be humble and learn not from what they say but from what they do :)
Rhino
Blue Skies and Smooth Rides!!
http://www.aahit.com

[sarcasm]Mineral water doesn't have the fluorine you need for healthy teeth. It would be way too dangerous to have non-florinated water. Of course, tap water must be filtered too because your local municipality might have hazardous concentrations of other stuff. And you better check to make sure you don't have lead pipes. [/sarcasm]
Can you believe people actually worry about this crap? :)Justin

Funny. I have seen people with under 100 jumps who acted like experts and people with over 2000 who don't. Tough one to judge. I have about 350. There are things I know about, though not at the level of expert, and things I know nothing about. What I try to do when talking to newer skydivers is let them know what I know and why.
Drewfus McDoofus

About a year ago, I'm at the DZ, working for the DZO. I'm hot fueling the otter. Front tank. I'm squished up against the fueselage, about two feet from the spinning prop. Kinda fun, kinda cool, kinda freakin scarry. I sorta got used to it over time, but it was always freakin scarry.
Later that afternoon, a self appointed expert shanters up to me. In my mind this has to be said in a John Wayne voice: Don't ya think you were kinda close to the prop?
Duh. Hell yes. Yes I was kinda close to the fricken prop. That was my job. So what?
If there's one thing in this sport that I don't ever want to be - that's an expert. There's already too many experts. Everytime I look up, or my ears perk up, I hear some smart assed opinion out of a self appointed expert. If I ever become one, please shoot me.
I don't print a disclaimer in every post, but any person who's stupid enought to listen to my opinions simply because I state them deserves to burn in. In this sport more then anywhere else, people need to think about what they know, what they hear, and what they think. This is the wrong sport to take what you hear as "Rote".
For gods sake be critical. Blow off those you don't buy. Look for people that make sense, not those who're "experts".
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

in my mind noboady knows every thing about skydiving or freeflying ect if we did then you would reach a level and thats it. we learn from the people who have experience,i have experience but i dont clame to be an expert i will always be a student in this sport there will always be somthing new!
every one has there own opnions take it for what its worth
make your decisions from that. look at the people with knoledge and wisdom in the sport they will help you out
learn from yours and others mistakes....
but be safe and have fun!!!!
It's not the fall that kills you, it'ssudden deceleration syndrome.

Funny story an old guy told me one day at SD Atlanta. He's at Raeford and jumping the Cessna. He doesn't normally jump there so he doesn't know the people. He has about 1500 jumps so some might consider him ...."An Expert" The first two get out of the Cessna and then this lady is waiting...and waiting....He thinks she looks a little confused. He peeks over her shoulder to see where they are and mentions that they are down wind and should probably just go around. She looks back at him with sort of a smirk and says .."No this is right where I want to be." He finds out later that he was trying to give Cheryl Stearns spotting advice.....:)
"I only have a C license, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

I learned pretty fast that it takes a heck of a lot to be considered an expert in this sport. At 130 jumps, I consider myself a novice, and will until I pass 200 jumps, when I'll consider myself low-level intermediate... I'm an expert at what I do for a living, as I've been involved in tv production since I was a teenager. That gives me over about 23 years of experience. But in skydiving I'm a mere baby. I, too, have seen people who are not qualifed offering guidance to newbies, and I don't really think this is right. I also have seen a national Jr. champion tell people he's no expert, so I guess it all depends on your own perspective. But I am real glad to have the ears of the experts on these forums when I have a technical question. Thanks, gals and guys!