Nick

Gear Checks

Was on a lift in Perris last week (team training), while on the climb to altitude I did my normal check over my gear (chest and leg straps, handles and both 3 rings), had a glace at my team mates kit as normal and all was in order. Also had a quick look at the others around me and noticed the the chest strap of the guy sitting opposite me was miss-routed (noted threaded correctly and only held in by the elastic). I pointed it out to him and he just looked at me blankly, so I routed it correctly for him and reported him to the STO (or whatever it's called in the US) and manifest on landing. The guy concerned was called to Square 1 for a gear check lesson.

It appeared that the guy didn't have much of a clue about doing gear checks and the guy he was jumping wish looked totally unaware of the concept.

My message here is, if you don't know how to check your gear find out how and do it (it only takes a few seconds).

Nick

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

Not sure if it is in the US, in the UK being able to perform gear checks are part of the JM1 which is required for a "B" license (but can be obtained before).

This guy looked like he didn't have much of a clue and had even looked at his chest strap without noting that it was miss-routed.

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

Thank you for paying attention to the people around you and their gear and taking the time to make sure he gets the extra help he needed to not make that mistake again. It makes me feel better to get on a plane knowing there are people like you that care enough to pay attention to everyone else as well.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I've had someone point out to me a "misrouted" chest strap - correctly routed. My reaction was to look at the fella like he had a penis growing out of his forehead, then show him that it was correct. :)
It's nice that skydivers look out for one another though.

Why don't you just play 'chicken' on the railroad tracks? It would be a cheaper way to toy with death, I'm sure.

CWR #2 - "You SAID collision!"

Skynija's only the Hotest Hottie on the DZ;) She gets lots of gear checks, chest strap,leg straps, even that little bungie butt strap gets checked:P:o
BTW, students in the US are suposed to do a gear check befor recieving their "A" license.

----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

Thats what we do where I instruct. We normally use experianced jumper gear so they become use to seeing different configurations of equiptment, and, the oppertunity to discuss differences in equipment.
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

Our DZ gear shop often has a "gear check contest". They have a mannequin with rig on, they introduce some mistakes and you write them down with your name, winner gets a prize. New contest with new mistakes every few weeks.

A good idea in my book B| (esp the prize :D)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

At the dz I am an instructor, as a student you learn how to do the safety check. The we give you a test. We put a set of student gear on someone who is standing around and mess up 4-6 things, write it down as you do them, then they must catch them all.

Better way to do it. AFF students have to do their gear checks, but until they get something wrong, they may not have a real opportunity to validate the check.

My wings has the chest strap buckle on the opposite side from all the rental rigs I used before, and early on I did it wrong. My check is the pull test, and I was puzzled that it was so loose. Took me a minute or two to figure out that I had misrouted it.

My wings has the chest strap buckle on the opposite side from all the rental rigs I used before, and early on I did it wrong. My check is the pull test

The "PULL" test will not always reveal a misrouted cheststrap...

A better check is to run your thumb and index finger along the buckle while visually looking at the routing (using multiple senses).

When preforming a gear check:
Touch every piece being checked as you visually inspect the part you are touching.
Don't look for anything to be wrong, look for everything to be right and if it is misrouted, it will then stick out like a sore thumb... Form a routine you stick with always (top/bottom front/back).

When challenging students with a gear check, have a routine you stick with so you do not forget to correct the problems you are creating for them.

Lower level students will give me a gear check before boarding and before exit under the direct supervision of an experienced skydiver (preferably an AFFI).

Upper level students will check me pre-boarding and pre-exit UNSUPERVISED .

If I am doing my job, I should have not problem getting UNSUPERVISED gear checks from the students I am training.
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

If you ever jump at Gold Coast, please don't get your panties in a ruffle when you have about 10 people from the time you put your gear on, until exit, checking you out. We don't allow complicacy at the DZ. on more occasions than memory can recollect, we have caught new jumpers to "veterans" with gear issues.

people change their gear all the time. A simple one, is someone turns off their AAD because they think they are done for the day. Then they get on a load later, and never turn it back on.

It's a religious practice for several jumpers to lay yes, and hands on everyone chest strap before the door opens on jump run.

Safety first...skydives forever!
Brad

I've got a friend who just got his A license and when we jump together I always ask him for a gear check before boarding. I always give him a gear check, usually he'll ask for one. But it sets a good example to admit that I can screw up too and that nobody's too experienced for a gear check. Gives him practice checking somebody else too, especially as we wear different type rigs (my Javelin, his Talon).

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

We always have others doing gear checks and observing those around us. We are a fairly small DZ though.....had one of my classmates checking my gear the last time I jumped....which I told her I appreciated.;)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I've had someone point out to me a "misrouted" chest strap - correctly routed. My reaction was to look at the fella like he had a penis growing out of his forehead, then show him that it was correct. :)
It's nice that skydivers look out for one another though.

someone tried to help you and you gave him a "you are a circus freak" look

that should encourage him to try and help people in the future - :S

I smile and do the "hey, thanks for looking out for me. But, here's how my gear works" thing. Always better than just making a good guy feel like an idiot.

Of course, I'm assuming how you look at head-penis' is a negative or curious expression. If you'd look at that type of anatomical mutation in a more positive way (perhaps in a lustful or hungry"hey, here's an opportunity" way), then my apologies for misinterpreting your written words.

Edit: General note, I make a habit out of observing everyone's gear around me in the plane (purely selfish reasons, I don't want another's gear malfunction to kill me ;)). But I never touch a rig unless the other jump knows about it and approves of it. Always ask.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

We always have others doing gear checks and observing those around us. We are a fairly small DZ though.....had one of my classmates checking my gear the last time I jumped....which I told her I appreciated.;)

I'm all for the "observing those around us" piece. I haven't been around the sport all that long, but so far I've caught a twisted leg strap on a ROL throw out system, a throw out handle stuffed all the way into the elastic pouch, an un-cocked PC, and an improperly assembled 3-ring on jumpers who didn't ask for gear checks. These problems occured at various DZs. I also know at least one jumper who could have been saved a reserve ride if he had gotten a pin check at any point prior to his skydive. I'm a big believer in taking care of each other.

If you are going to correct somebody, make sure you're right first is all I'm saying.

Side Note: I do like to imagine people I've just met with penises growing from their heads - kind of the equivalent of imagining that the crowd you're speaking in front of is naked... but funnier... :ph34r:

Why don't you just play 'chicken' on the railroad tracks? It would be a cheaper way to toy with death, I'm sure.

CWR #2 - "You SAID collision!"

If you are going to correct somebody, make sure you're right first is all I'm saying.

You may be right. I think it would be best for someone who thinks they have spotted a potentially fatal mistake on someone elses gear, but isn't sure, to say nothing. That way they won't risk being made to feel stupid. :|>:(

And if it was a mistake and someone dies, at least they'll have the satisfaction of knowing that they did notice something which had passed a far more experienced jumper by... :S[:/]B|

Or maybe they could say something and get a pleasant response even if it was nothing...? :)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.