WonderBoy

Would you fire your packer if......

As for the cameras: Indians who are not FAA riggers (at least in the USA) are required to be directly supervised by a real FAA rigger. It is my guess that neither A nor B are riggers and the camera is there so that if "the man" comes to visit and there is not a real rigger in there, the DZ can say that an FAA rigger was watching on closed circuit TV. Just a guess, but it sure sounds good to me. Oh, and for the clueless, when I say Indian I mean "packa-ho's". That is the local vernacular.
As for this particular incident, it's a no brainer. Fire the girl, period, and run her off the DZ. Does this chick skydive?
Chuck
My webpage HERE

I, for one, would not feel safe leaving my gear around the dz unattended if she was there that day. I dont think I am alone in this. wouldnt the DZO want the jumpers to fell comfortable? I would bring it up with the group of regulars there. if there are some the back up here story(whatever it is) then tlka about it in an ADULT manner with the dzo. have both groups give thier reasons. but form this post I dont think there is a second group...so whats the problem. if the dzo thinks this is a done deal then he/she will see no reason to fire her! stand up for what you believe in. Bring it up!
Life's a bitch, and I'm her Pimp!
JT

http://community.webshots.com/user/jtval100

Being a packer is a job with huge responsibility. Students, tandem masters, and other experienced jumpers place their lives in that packer's hands every time they jump a rig that that packer packed. That being said, I would say that someone who acts in such a childish and irresponsible manner has no business packing. In any other job, that type of behavior would be or could be grounds for dismissal. It's up to the dzo to decide whether to fire her or not after a careful investigation of the facts. At a minimum she should be placed on some kind of probation and I don't think I would allow her to pack my rig anymore.
Hackey

Being a full-time skydiver is a difficult job.
On the one hand, you are expected to make the DZ a happy place - like Disneyland - with sweetness and love and good vibes all over the place.
On the other hand, DZs are populated by fiercely competitive A-types - some of whom do not know their arses from a hole in the ground - but they all want to be in command. This can lead to vicious politics over trivial items, such as territory. When business is low, it can also lead to fierce competition for crumbs - like university professors. The point of the argument may be trivial, but tension has usually been building for weeks. Tension built because people were biting their tongues - to maintain that Disneyland vibe - over a dozen other little issues. Oh, and skydivers tend to not be the most mature of people. DZ politics will burn you out long before the work does.
Smarter DZOs give staff members days off - in the middle of the busy season - days when staff are expected to be off the DZ, surfing, biking, doing laundry or anything that does not resemble skydiving.
All that being said, I would still put the temperamental bitch on stern probation - because she crossed the line. The line means never tampering with other people's parachutes.

MY only point is this I guess. I learned something in my 10 years in the Air Force. Often, I would rather have someone working for me that made their mistakes and learned from them. Everyone fucks up. Period. She fucked up. Period. If she is the type that CAN learn from it I say give her the chance.
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

my guess is it is the "offended" party testing the waters to see if he is justified in his feeleings... but I could be wrong...
still, you don't mess with someone's rig, it does not matter how mad you are at them. Its immature and irresponsible. I would feel completely justified in firing any packer who did that. But that is someone elses dicision in this case.
Peace.
Josh
http://www.aerialfusion.com

wow, that is bad and it could get much worse if it is not defused-and soon. i am not sure what i would do but it would not be good for anyone. i had someone leave a big foot print on my rig a few months ago when a packer left it in the middle of the packing area for about an hour or so. i had no idea it was there. i was pissed but i never found out who did it. rigs and cars should be off limits..............
"remember when we were in africa"

All that being said, I would still put the temperamental bitch on stern probation - because she crossed the line. The line means never tampering with other people's parachutes--[/blue
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for a second I thought you were going to the other side of the fence

Ummhhh...anybody "wonder" why WonderBoy did not include his name and email in his profile

maybe wonerboy is the packer in question:S haha
clay, I agree with you to some extent. but didn thte Air FOrce also teach you to take care of things at the lowest level! And with some degree of professionalism? I'm guessing you were confused on alot if it took you 10 year to finish a 4 year tour:)seriously though, she still hasnt apologized in fact it sound like Neither party has made any efforts to smooth things over. now I am not saying she should stop everything EVERY time some bothers here and hold a "meeting."(silly tradition but when in Rome...)
but before she gets to the boiling point she should defuse that tension. most of the time the "bothersome" party doesn't know what they are doing is bothering you!!

Have fun, Live free, SKYDIVE!!T
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtval100

I don't know about anyone else, but I get enough "As The Prop Turns" at my own dz. This sounds like a "spat" between 2 packers from one DZ that is being aired in a public forum. Can't you guys (from the dz where this happened) just discuss it on the packing mats and at the bonfire?
Just a thought. Like I said, it is hard enough to keep up with the drama at my own dz.
blue ones.....

I don't know about anyone else, but I get enough "As The Prop Turns" at my own dz. This sounds like a "spat" between 2 packers from one DZ that is being aired in a public forum. Can't you guys (from the dz where this happened) just discuss it on the packing mats and at the bonfire?

Amen. I try to mind my own bizness. And pack my own shit.

Clay - you like sheep remember?????

Merely a ploy to keep women off guard.....:D Seems to be working with you. Wanna go out for a beer Friday night? You'll be perfectly safe with me.....remember, I only like sheep....:P
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"