Icarus021

Reserve Ride Frequency

1.5 years jumping/120 jumps/0 reserves=0%

Knock on wood;). But, I've had 4 line twists and one hard pilot chute pull, a gazillion hard openings and one PLF into a tree:P. About that last one...on my 14th jump, the cloud cover was so bad, you couldn't see ANYTHING ANYWHERE below...everyone got out and trusted the pilot and like an idiot, so did I. No-one on that load landed on the DZ but all managed to make it to a field or road. I tried my damnedest to make it to this field and I ended up landing 5 feet away from it RIGHT IN A TREE. I was fine, but really muddy, checked my gear, packed it up, and jumped again 30 minutes later...ha ha ha ha (by then the clouds had cleared.)

I haven't had a reserve ride yet, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually. I did hear two jumpers talking about it recently. Both had about 3500 jumps. One had nine rides, the other none. One guy at my dropzone has had 2 in 30.

~145/1 (reserve ride) = ~145.

Total cutaways: 0.

Reserve ride was due to an RW jumper twisting my right arm out of socket when he went vertical and was still clinging on to me. Arm quickly went numb and had to steer a Raven down and flare with one working hand.

I've come very close to chopping once since then from a spinning mal caused by the slider slamming down hard past the slinks and 1/2 the slider was stuck below the toggles and wouldn't budge in either direction.

I had a really nice time trying to get the grommets on either side to become level and clear of the toggles. Managed to clear it by 1,000ft. after doing some hard riser yanks.

~ = How many actual jumps I've done. I've only logged 110 of them. :)

at 1 time I had about 200 jump with 4 rides and three years in a row it was memorial day weekend (I think I'm gonna stay away from memorial day -- bad things happen in my life on that weekend come to think of it). I've got a much better percentage now... I do know of 1 guy who had three rides in three days (he was trying to learn to pack a velocity -- obviously without much success)

1200 jumps/ 0 reserve rides (knock wood or whatever)
I have seen a definite split on the reserve ride ratio based on one thing. Canopy type. I known people with 9 or 10,000 jumps before their first-ever reserve ride. I have also seen a guy with a highly-loaded stiletto chop it twice in one day. 2nd and 4th jumps. (He went home).
If you are flying a fairly docile square and you open into line twists, you can generally kick it out. If you are under a highly-loaded elliptical and you have line twists, the last toggle input may be "turn fast and dive like hell". That's what happens. No time to kick it out. You are heading for the ground in a hurry and spinning. No alternatives.
This is just an observation. People with ellipticals seem to chop a lot more.

If you are flying a fairly docile square and you open into line twists, you can generally kick it out.

This I can support. I once kicked out 7 line twists, but my canopy was completely square above my head, even w/ the lines twisted that much. When I looked up, it looked as if the lines were twisted all the way up but the canopy was still square! Ha ha ha. That was my old Sabre 170. I now have a 135 and (knock on wood) haven't had line twists yet (it's still about a 1:1 ratio, though, so I don't think it would be bad on this canopy either...I have a 130 exit weight (120lbs plus 10 lb rig, I'm guesstimating.)

Arm quickly went numb and had to steer a Raven down and flare with one working hand

That's really inpressive!

It sure didn't feel impressive doing it [:/]:SB|. I was really freaked out about it for quite a while after I landed.

That didn't hurt as much as the hospital bill, though. HMO and still owed ~$4,000 dollars for 3 stupid sets of xrays (and a seperate bill for the radiologist), ketamine, and a stupid LVN who fucked things up worse by trying the "twist" method of resetting it!!! :(

My shoulder has popped out several times more since then but now I know how to reset it myself (it's an anterior dislocation). I've been very careful since then to not let it "slip out" and I'm working out now to focus on getting that joint healed up. Chances are I will need surgery in the future, tho. [:/]

and the packers in Eloy take care of me

Me too...the packers in Deland. I always tip well, as long as no malfunctions. There's only one packer I haven't tipped and that's b/c on all 4 of his packs, I had line twists. Other than that, my two regular girls take good care of me!