dbattman

What kind of car should I buy?

Well, the raggedy-top ragtop is acting strange. Tranny keeps shifting to second (limp mode on a Chrysler) and giving me problems. Dropped a new shift computer in it tonight, but I've about reached my limit on trying to prolong the life of a dying animal. So, it's time to start scanning the classified and the internet for a replacement. I have a history of hammering cars into the ground before I buy another one, but I can't wait much longer since I travel a lot for my job.

So, who's a road warrior out there that has a couple of recommendations. My preference is for sedans over SUVs (less maintenance). Something along the lines of a LeSabre, Taurus, Grand Am. Maintenance and longevity experiences are appreciated as well.

A couple friends have had lots of transmission problems with Taurus' - one had to have the tranny replaced twice. But, those were 90's models; the newer ones may be better.

I know several people who are extremely happy with their Toyota Camry's.

If I was buyin' right now, I'd get a PT Cruiser. Those things look freakin' sweet.

Late model Taurus from Hertz. I've owned two. Good deal, still under factory warranty, cheap to work on (mostly) when they come out of warranty. You can still buy the extended factory warranty cause the mileage is low enough.

When the current one gets retired I want a V8 Jag. I figure in the next 3.5 years a huge bag of cash will land on my lap or something.:S:S:S

Interesting dbattman...that's what I'm going thru with my car now! Shifting problems :/ It's cost me $100 so far, then may be anywhere from $160 more or $700 + more. *sigh* The thing that pisses me off is that it's a programming problem in a computer that Mazda won't fix, even though it's been a problem since day one and had I know when I had a warranty 20,000 miles back, they woulda covered it. Legally they only have to tell the first owner of such service bulletins, and I'm the second. Bastardos!

Buy a Honda! They last forever!

Toyota's seem to last forever. Same with Honda's. I think both are efficient and somewhat affordable. Not easy to work on though. Actually the newer the car the harder to work on. You might have to take the whole engine out to change one hose or something. European cars rock but if you have to work on one kiss your $ goodbye:P

Volkswagen Jetta's and Passat's seem nice. Does it have to be American?

I would get the cheapest car I could find that would last a long time.

That way I would have more money for jump tickets
not have to worry about some 5 year old kid running a shopping cart into it
not have to make payments
have a car I dont' have to waste jump time washing

My what skydiving has done to me...:)

--
Hook high, flare on time

honda accord. they last forever. fine quality. zero to low maintenance. definately better than domestic unfortunately

bro has one almost at 300k miles now and still going ok

EDIT: i have a toyota camry right now and they are good too with nice resell value, but in my opinion honda is a little better from experience with an accord before the camry. (due to camry A/C problem (expansion valve) toyota knew about and didn't recall (cost me 600) plus bad plastic on the camry which is inexcusable (shears meaning the gas door and handle broke)) but in general ppl like them too, but my gut says accord over those 2.

Buy a honda civic or crx. I had a crx for 3 years and had to replace a clutch once and the muffler a couple times. Most reliable car in my opinion. Or, I just bought a Mitsiubishi Lancer OZ and its very nice. Not a quick as my little honda though. What ever you choose I wish you luck, a lot of people are out there to rip you off.[:/]

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

If you have the money, get a Mini Cooper S. I've always believed that the size of a man's car is inversely proportional to what's in his pants, so I've always been a small hatchback driver. Anyway, I test drove the Mini and it is truly amazing. Every control has the right amount of heft and feedback. Every surface is designed for maximum pleasure. There is plenty of space if you pretend the back seat is the truck of a 2-seat car. It rails through turns, brakes hard and flat, and is all around the sweetest thing I've ever driven.

If you can't find one to buy, try the Focus SVT, the Civic Si, or the Subaru WRX.

I would get the cheapest car I could find that would last a long time.

That way I would have more money for jump tickets
not have to worry about some 5 year old kid running a shopping cart into it
not have to make payments
have a car I dont' have to waste jump time washing

My what skydiving has done to me...:)

That's the same attitude I've had since college (but without the jumping). Don't mind the dings, someone bumped into me, no prob. Slid on some ice in Erie one winter and clobbered a road marker with my rear quarter and smashed in my oilpan. Junkyard oilpan, dip tube, drive another 20k.

Problem is now I need the reliability and low maintenance aspect. I still don't care about the aestetics, though.

I 100% love my '98 1/2 ton Chevy Z-71 and would recommend one to anyone. I wouldn't recommend anything past later then a '98, but that's just because I love the older "box" body style. It looks like a truck, not some p***y-fied curved POS (read: F-150s). You can pick them up with not much milage still for not too much money, you have all the room you need for beer/gear AND you can sleep comfortably in the bed of the truck (trust me on that one). :)
Oh, AND you don't have to worry too much about getting stuck, for the past nearly 3 years that I've had it I've only been so stuck once, and that was when the front end of my truck was sunk to the body (only took two full-tons in tandem to get me out of that one... :)
I've even had the pleasure of dragging multipul trees to DZ bonfires and pulling lesser trucks out of the mud at DZs. hehe.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

front-hood.GIF

just about any honda will serve you well for a long long time.

I would recomend a 91 Honda CRX HF if you want pure gas mileage. The HF is the most fuel effenciant (non hybrid) car honda ever made. If you wan't somthing with a little more zip take a look at an Si.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

i just got a 99' hyundai elantra with the 2l engine and it has ebough zipp and gets me about 30mpg here n city driving in colorado springs with an elev. of 6k.... and it wan't bad on price either... hell if an enlisted guy in the airforce canaford it anone can (oh i forgot i can't skydive for 9 months maybe that's why i can afford it...lol)

I've got an '01 Elantra. I love it. I drove a friend's '02 civic last weekend and was not impressed, it felt like a tin can compared to my car. i can't explain this, i know nothing about cars except how to check my oil and make it drive. the service package that comes with teh new elantra's are sweet too.

My first new car was an 86 Toyota Corolla...still on the road today with over 300,000 miles on her. The second owners never took my stickers off from college so a black person is now driving "my car" with Alpha Gam stickers on it around town.

I have had 2 Camry's. One was totaled in a head on collision. She did what she was designed to do and folded in half without any damage to the passenger compartments. The hit was so intense it knocked the sun roof open and back 6 inches. Neither my girls or I were hurt other than minor bruises.

The second one I sold because I got tired of paying for two cars when I bought the 'Stang. My neighbors have her. She is a 98 and runs like a top.

I now own a 2002 Toyota Highlander. It is a SUV but was built around a Camry frame so she ahndles well with the added space. She has over 14,000 miles in the past 8 months all compliments of me. The only thing I do is take her for the oil changes and 5 or 10 thousand mile checkups.

My mom has a 97 Camry that looks and rides great too.

I would suggest checking with your insurnace agent and comparing what your rates will be. The 2002 Highlander was actually more than my 97 Mustang convertable.....go figure. They can also tell you about theft and accident claims. I know once the Grand Am 2 door model had the highest theft rate for the door panel of any car on the road. (mIne was stolen ....experience)

Good luck...
Lisa

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Dude, buy a Land Rover. It has a HUGE loading area, it is primitive, heavy, and real comfy. Additional reasons found in attachments. This is my old Disco. Now have the new one and it rocks. Of course if size of car....then I probably have a small oneB|
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Disco2.jpg

Disco1.jpg