dbattman

What kind of car should I buy?

GM is known for bad engines.

Ford is known for bad transmissions.

I'd go japanese or german. Honda hybrids are looking very exciting, volkswagon 4-wheel drive systems are bulletproof. You pay a premium but you'll get it back in fewer major repairs and a higher resale.

Only buy American if a: you're going to lease, or b: you're going to sell it before the waranty expires.

_Am

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

just about any honda will serve you well for a long long time.

This is very true and if you want you can take it up a notch and get an Acura. I am on my 4th and I truly have never found a single problem with them.

Second that. I drove my Toyota Paseo into the ground (180,000+ miles) and it's still running good.

Amie,

You're going to have to help me out on this one. Does driving a vehicle "into the ground" mean the same thing in Hawaii as it does in the contiguous 48? Because over here, when it has been driven "into the ground" it is basically done.:S

I jst bought a 2002 Hyundai Accent. They are cheap and you can't find a better warranty anywhere. My last car was also a Hyndai (Excel) and I drove that car up and down the east coast many times. It had about 180K miles on it & was still running fine. The problem I had was it was going to need a new transmission & it was too old to put all that money into it. I never had any other problems though. The Accents are about $10,500 to $11,000 and have a 100,000 mile warranty. Very comfy, roomy, cute, & good gas mileage. And fits in ANY little parking spot!
Oh, and my roommate just bouth an Elantra.
=======================
"What I want is what I've not got ,but what I need is all around me"-DMB
Meghan

You're going to have to help me out on this one. Does driving a vehicle "into the ground" mean the same thing in Hawaii as it does in the contiguous 48? Because over here, when it has been driven "into the ground" it is basically done.

Well, that was back in the day when I lived in Michigan as a college bum. I drove everywhere with that little car. So, not necessarily into the ground, it has a lot of life left. I was taught to sell a car before it reaches 100,000 miles, so anything above that the car loses a lot of value to me (resell value, not sentimental :P).

Um, but over here I bought a '93 Toyota Tercel last year with 60,000 miles on it. I think it's up to 70,000 now. And speaking of Toyota again, talk about a 4-cylinder going up mountains to get to Honolulu from the North Shore, that little car rocks. It is so dependable. Now the only thing to worry about is salt air and rust.

Funny thing is (back to Michigan again) I used to work for Ford. They used to tell me to park in the back with the Toyota Paseo. :D Seriously, they made me park in the back.

My preference is for sedans over SUVs (less maintenance). Something along the lines of a LeSabre, Taurus, Grand Am.

And you get recommendations for Mini Coopers, pickup trucks and Harleys, among others. Aren't we spectacularly unhelpful? :$ ;)

You looking new or used? Right now, it is very economical to buy an off-lease car. I just got a 3-year old Camry for a good price. You can get one with some remaining factory warranty, and they are over the hump for instant new-car depreciation.

If I was buyin' right now, I'd get a PT Cruiser. Those things look freakin' sweet.

i was considering a PT Cruiser as well, then i drove one. they need more power in a bad way.... totally gutless. 1/4 mile times you could measure with a calendar, passing requires lots of advance planning. that said, i saw a GT Cruiser prototype that Chrysler had at a car show a couple of years ago, V6, more aggressive styling... they shoulda built them.

I also read a hot rod magazine with an article about a guy who shoe-horned a viper engine (V-10) into one. that might have solved the accceleration problems. ;)
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

>i was considering a PT Cruiser as well, then i drove one. they need
> more power in a bad way....

They probably won't get it; most of them won't at least. Chrysler needed a way to get around the CARB requirements, so they classified the PT cruiser as a light truck and then put a small engine in it. That increases their light truck (i.e. SUV) average mileage a bit, and allows them to build larger SUV's that get worse mileage.