hohonukai

Outside job/career

I've got the seven year itch...I'm considering changing my profession altogether. Currently, I work as network support, IT. I was thinking maybe I'd try to become an underwater welder....or.....something. I need something outside that pays. Does anyone have any ideas? Please?

well you could go into feild systems engineering..
then you get to go outside at all the lovely vacation spots. Kuwait, Korea, Kosovo, Bosnia...

except for the odd times when your actually trapped in cube hell (like now)

Contact your local Iron workers union. I wouldn't know the pay now, but apprentices WERE starting at $15 an hour about 8 years ago
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Well, isn't this convenient! ;)

It's not exactly outside work... and the pay ain't all that good... but if you're really ready to cutaway from your "real life", want to work full time in the skydiving industry and don't want to haul meat, instruct, pack parachutes or fly camera... talk to me. I may have something for you.

mmm....skydiving instructor in these winds out here? (The winds are gusty and normally 15-25 mph)

I don't want to move......the tourism industry pays jack...I thought about fishing charters, but I think that pays jack too.

Don't underwater welders get paid nicely though? I heard they get paid the big bucks. I guess not if you know some.

lummy ~ $15/hr 8 years ago? are you serious? oo oo oo, then I can base jump off of the structures I build! haha!

I work in IT support as well but why would you want to change. You just have to search and find the right country that pays.
United Arab Emerites pay top dollar for IT professionals and if you are good at a sport they generally support that. Mate of mine went over there and earnt over 120K for Network managment.

Dont be so hasty to change untill you have gone through your options:)
My 10 cents, here's 2 cents for free.
Jumpy Jumpy??

If you can find the right opening, a position in the US Park service is usually a nice one. One of my old friends scored a gig doing forestry surveys and gets to camp in some of the coolest places in the US when the trip is over a few days.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

"Don't underwater welders get paid nicely though?"

Given your interest in changing careers fairly frequently, by the time you got trained, served as a tender for a couple of years and then another couple as an apprentice, you might approach the very beginning of the big bucks range.

What's wrong with winds in Hawaii? They're always coming over the Polo Club and as long as you know exactly where on the DZ not to land, you're golden.

Alternative -- how's the rigger supply in HI?

HW

imho, the trade winds in Hawaii make landings squirrelly. If we're talking tandems, does size matter if you're a tandemmaster? 5'2" tall? Or are you talking AFF Instructor? They don't do static line here. (even though that's what I learned on, and it works just as well)

Skydive Hawaii has 2 riggers
PISC has at least 1....not sure about Tugie's.

But, that is a good point. Become a rigger.

Well, I won't lay claim to "been there, done that", because I sure have lots more to experience in life, but one thing I've learned so far.... DO WHAT YOU LIKE. Don't worry about money, or cars, or a gated community, or keeping up with the Joneses. It's alot easier said than done, but the rewards are more than you can imagine. If you're really ready for a change and want to be a welder, or the lead McNugget maker, or a birdwatcher, then go for it. Sometimes you just have to take that first step (similar to that first step out the door of a plane) and you'll find happiness you didn't even know were there.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

The long term survival rate for underwater wielders is surpising low. Lots o shit to kill you. I used to know a wielding instructer that had 2 students die while trying to learn. ZAP fizzle bubble bubble.....

Welcome to the New World Order. Expect no Mercy.

Umm...can I talk to you too? I got the 7 year itch a year early, I'm getting out of the military in about 6 weeks. I have no skydiving qualifications other than a basic idea of how not to hurt myself or anyone else.
Jess

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....