prepheckt

What's the most vivid memory about your first jump?

on my first two jumps i pretty much had sensory overload and remember very little. my third jump i remember virtually every detail right down to watching the camera guy blow into the blow tube which snapped the still shots on his camera.

It is better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!

I vividly remember my first freefall, it was during sunset when the sky was overcast in Michigan. We went up in the C182, my jumpmaster was Charlie West, God bless him. After he let me out, I remember pulling and while I was flying my canopy down, it started raining a little and lights were starting to come on all over (people's homes, etc). It was so beautiful...and peaceful. And then when I got down on the ground, I found out I had pulled on my back and my pilot chute went through my legs!!!! I had no clue...so focused on pulling.

I remember it was the day before my 30th birthday the last day of my 20's. I had never even been in a plane so I did a observer ride to see how I would feel.....well I smiled the whole time and said yes this is what I want, so I went up for my first jump it was a tandom with one of the DZO's Ron Green. From there I can remember the photographer saying "ARE YOU READY TO MAKE A SKYDIVE" and of course I said "YES" then we were finally at altitude and the spotter said "DOOR" and I felt the wind as the door flew open on the C-182 I stepped out on the step and looked down and a sence of peace fell over me. It was beautiful. And when we finally landed all I could say is "this is awesome, this is awsome" over and overB|

I was first out on a c-182 and I remember climbing out on the strut thinking am I gonna make it to the handles? Wait, what am I even doing out here?! That was the first time I was seriously nervous. I was pretty calm before that. Then, I remember letting out a huge whoop once the canopy was open and looking around at the amazing beauty around me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

My chanting as I got to the door and on my way out...

"Oh shit, oh my god...oh shit, oh my god...oh my god...oh my god...oh shit, oh shit, oh my god..."

I remember the open canopy. A blue and yellow lopo.
They tell me I arched. They tell me I counted so loud I could be heard clearly on the ground. I don't remember those parts, but I sure remember canopy opening, and the landing.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

before my first tandem i wasn't nervous for a second. i was just SOOO excited! i went up in a cessna with my instructor and one fun jumper who got out early. it was so bizarre watching him jump out...door opens and bloop! he was gone. that was the only thing that made me feel weird at all.

i remember climbing out of the door and looking straight down 10,500 feet at the ground. all i could think was, "yes yes yes yes!!! let's do it!!! woo hoo!"

when i got to the ground, my friend came running up to me and asked, "how was it?" i was instantly retarded - i kept saying, "it was so....great! it was just ...great! i mean...great!" apparently the vocabulary section of my brain was overcome with adrenaline :)
spiral out...keep going...

I remember being nervous as hell on the ground. Almost to the point of throwing up. Had to really concentrate on breathing slowly on the ride to altitude, just closed my eyes and tried to envision the skydive to keep my mind occupied. When the time finally came, I got into the door. Luckily my JM's didn't give me too much time to think about what I was going to do, just got the checks, stated the counts and away we went. Once I was out all the nervousness left and I was just left with pure exhilaration. When I hit the ground I couldn't wait to do it again. Of course during the debrief my JM said I did everything right, but when he asked me to describe the jump in detail, I couldn't remember and specifics, just that great feeling.

Bill

Slot Perfect,
My first one was out of a C-141 also at Benning. They took us up the afternoon before in a C-119 but we couldn't jump because of wind. I was plenty scared when I finally got to the door of the 141, following my stick out. My exit was weak and I felt like I was being shot from a cannon and then there was this silence after my chute opened. I could see for miles in all directions with green canopies floating down all around me. What an adrenaline rush. I was hooked from that moment. And then I slammed into the ground, spraining my ankle bad. Trying to walk without limping, hoping a black hat didn't notice. I didn't want to be recycled. Steve1

Static Line, C-130, Ft. Benning, Ga. I was one of 3 guys left over at the back of my stick. The other two looked at me and asked "Who's taking the door?" I immediately said I AM!!! Started through all the jump commands and got to "Stand By!!" Handed my S/L off to the safety and kinda just enjoyed the view....picking out individual pine cones on the trees below. The JM grabbed ahold of my harness and started talking all this crap because I had an Army 101st Airborne patch on my shoulder AND I was an Air Force guy. Funny thing was about half way through he stepped around behind me and I couldn't hear a word he was saying because of all the aircraft noise and my Kevlar helmet. He starts shaking me by my harness and I was wondering if he wanted me to go or what. I figured if he wanted me to go he would have thrown me out by now. I saw a green light and felt the tap......Out I went. TOTALLY forgot to count to four. That scared me a little later. Pulled my slip...did a nice PLF and then stood back up. Looked at the plane flying away and thought "Wow...I'm still alive. That's pretty cool." B|

I was doing a S/L. I wasn't nervous. I was excited. There was about 5 of us watching landings waiting for the winds to slow down. We saw someone (student) forget to flair. They broke there leg just above the ankle. It kind of wigged out the class. I was last out of the plane. The guy who was in front of me froze on the strut. He got off with a little help from the instructor. He said he didn't remember getting out of the plane.
-Carbon

My first jump was IAD from a C-182.
Probably the feeling of being in limbo - I wasn't falling, I didn't feel any pressure from my canopy opening, just felt like I was hanging in midair. It blew my mind. Then under canopy, looking at the valley and lakes and wishing I could stay right there for a long, long time, dancing with the wind.

And like everyone else has said, the instant knowledge that I would be doing this again and again and again...

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

25Nov01-Sydney, Australia.
The most amazing day that has forever changed my life. Went with a friend to watch a jump. Saw it and signed up immediately. Tandem was incredible, blue skies, white clouds...my friend coming up to me in freefall, high fiving! Me, all grins and mouthing." "This is f-ing awesome!" Could not believe how far the eye can see under canopy...
Would I do it again?
Celebrated our freedom yesterday with the start of my training (2 jumps). I wanted the peace this sport brings...it only gets better!:)

Amy

My first jump was a tandem at Sebastian with some friends. We had to wait about 3 hours for our load. We sat around - it was hot and we were getting swarmed by love bugs (Florida people know what I'm talking about), and we were bored. We were just about ready to bag it for the day. Not because of nerves but because we were bored. See my last post as to how that jump went.

My first 3 or 4 or 5 AFF jumps I had a big problem with the door. I just didn't like getting into it. The "door monster" as an instructor put it. I had no fear in freefall or skydiving. Just standing in the door. Must have been some kind of preconditioning - doors of airplanes should not be open in flight.

Respect the Dolphin

Aff out of a C182 at Salado, TX(skydive Temple). Felt great and relaxed on the ride to altitude. JMs went over the dove flow and I felt great.

When we turned on jump run, I felt a momentary feeling of sheer terror as the door opened, but it passed. I think that's the second most vivid memory.

On the video, you canhear me giving the hotel check, so I guess I was pumped! I was amazed by the sound of freefall, did most of my dive flow as planned, skipping the second COA because we were at 6000 feet already, did my 5,5 wave and pulled. I was waiting for a shattering opening shock, but was surprised how gently the Manta opened -- that's still my most vivid memory. I knew I was hooked then and there.:D

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

OOOO SL on a 182. I remember being scared to death when the JM yelled Door and the door opened. I was soooo worried about falling out. It didn't even cross my mind that the whole plan was to get out. I was just paranoid that I was going to roll to the left and fall out....
After I yelled Dot (they had a camera dot on wing bottom to get you to look up) I next remember getting to untwist about 4 line twists and thinking this isn't so bad...

WOW!!! I want to go again!!
-----------
Ready, Set, Gooooooo

I'm remember letting go, seeing this rainbow colored ball of shit over my head, thinking "I should do something about this," then *thump*. Another canopy? I guess that I had stared at the mal for 30 seconds or so, and my FXC had fired and dumped the Lopo reserve for me.

And on my real first jump...

I really only remember the landing. Feet way out because I though I would have to run, a light as a feather landing, and then I was sitting down in the field.

Door opens- SO far down!
Arch one thousand two one thousand...
Sweet Dropping Sensation
Disorientation
Open Canopy.

WOOO hooo! (probly heard me on the ground)

Now..hmm.. let's see how far I can see my spit travel down...

---------------------

the other thing I remember was watching people swoop- colours carving out of the sky; my current DZ (then sporting a mullet) turfsurfing on his knees..

happy frickin fall!
"Spread your legs and fly"

WOW! The most vivid memory??? My first jump, was a tandem, this past July, the weekend before my birthday...
I really wasn't too nervous until we got up about to an altitude of about 7500. Then we were sliding backwards from the back of a little cessna to the open door, and putting our feet out onto the platform over the wheel...I actually started to do a kinda of a wing-walker-move before the tandem dude grabbed my arms to my chest.
It was so wild: there was another skydiver handing from the strut and the camera dude hanging off the door...The wind was fierce and the sky so blue and the sun so bright...BUT MY THOUGHTS WERE STRANGELY ABSTRACT...I THOUGHT: THE WIND IS LIKE A 'LIVING' THING! LIKE AN INVISIBLE DRAGON...as we began to sommersault into space I thought...I'M PLUNGING BRAVELY INTO THE DRAGON'S LAIR!?!!
HONEST! Those were my thoughts as I made my first jump. My first jump was THE MOST INTENSE EXPERIENCE I'VE HAD(so far) in my whole life!
"My first skydive was an ephipany!"

Plane was C-172 (OH-CFB if I remember right, plane crashed later). I saw jumpmaster's widely smiling face and I was counting, not 101, 201, 301 but oh1 my2 god3. Then parachute opens and front part of it was turned inward (it was Paracommander) and I could saw the text "Turo" on that front part. Btw, "turo" is byword to screwup in our language... Did I screwup, it's another story

"You can call me Mike"