Merkur

Sponsoring in skydiving

Hi. I just started to join a RW-team and at the moment we are trying to intensify our training. Coming out of that is the permanent shortage of money. Now we are thinking about getting some sponsors. Does anybody know, how much you can ask from a firm, if you wear stickers of them?
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

You'll have way more luck getting sponsors if you emphasize what you can do for them rather than what they can do for you...

That said, it depends on the company you are approaching for sponsorship. Don't expect much in the way of money/gear/etc if you're a first year team with no competition experience, medals, etc.

Does anybody know, how much you can ask from a firm

You can want in one hand and shit in the other. ;) What will you get...depends on how valuable you are to them. This is something you have to figure out. Target a particular company and see if you can get some marketing study data from them. Then see if you can improve their market share through advertising. Or at least come up with hard numbers of how many people you will expose to their product. That puts a $ amount on your services. Hence, how much they MAY be willing to fork over.

Hi. I just started to join a RW-team and at the moment we are trying to intensify our training. Coming out of that is the permanent shortage of money. Now we are thinking about getting some sponsors. Does anybody know, how much you can ask from a firm, if you wear stickers of them?

short answer, not enough to live on..... :)

hmm...
I'm picturing how it would look to have white canopies with a toilet paper logo. Would look kinda wierd. :)Given the reputation of skydivers, how about asking durex to sponsor you :ph34r:.
---zorry, I think it's time for me to go to sleep....!

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

>Does anybody know, how much you can ask from a firm, if you wear
> stickers of them?

Nothing. In fact, if you've noticed, people are paying to wear logos rather than the other way around.

The only way you will get money from sponsors is if you demonstrate that they will make money _from_ you. If, for example, you bring home a silver in Nationals, and your picture ends up in Parachutist, your hometown paper, and in a little blurb on the local news show, you can take those bits to a sponsor and say "We can get your logo in Parachutist, the San Diego Union-Tribune and NBC 7/39!" They will listen to that. They will realize that giving you $5000 a year (say) will be cheaper than spending $10,000 on similar advertising on NBC and in the Union/Trib. Unfortunately, you have to be good _first_ for this to work. Companies will not generally pay for a poor team to train enough to become good; there's no money there for them.

Like others have mentioned, it's going to be difficult if not impossible to get any sponsorship money from the manufacturers, however you might be able to get something from your DZ. Talk to the DZO, ask for discounted jump tickets on training weekends, ask to get your camera guy an LO slot. Promise to compete in the local skyleague competitions and change your name to DROPZONE TEAMNAME. I think you stand a better chance of getting sponsorship that way than you do getting sponsorship money from the manufacturers.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Sponsoship requires a business plan. How many jumps per week.....your goals, your acheivenments, but more over what YOU are going to do for them.
It isn't as easy as it may appear.

True enough. I had assumed that they would be a serious team, training at least 3 out of every 4 weekends, doing as many jumps as the day would allow each weekend. All that and representing the DZ favorably at competitions.

To the original poster, please don't think that my suggestion is the sure fire way to get anything, it isn't, but I still think it's more likely than getting a dime from the manufacturers.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Sponsoship requires a business plan. How many jumps per week.....your goals, your acheivenments, but more over what YOU are going to do for them.
It isn't as easy as it may appear.

True enough. I had assumed that they would be a serious team, training at least 3 out of every 4 weekends, doing as many jumps as the day would allow each weekend. All that and representing the DZ favorably at competitions.

To the original poster, please don't think that my suggestion is the sure fire way to get anything, it isn't, but I still think it's more likely than getting a dime from the manufacturers.

-
Jim

I would add (not directed at Jim) that you must live up to your end of the bargin. Discounts on gear and jumps all year, will require a commitment and give-back on your part.

I would add (not directed at Jim) that you must live up to your end of the bargin. Discounts on gear and jumps all year, will require a commitment and give-back on your part.

One could expect to host events, fly camera in events,coach, LO and other duties as assigned to you just to name a few....

One could expect to host events, fly camera in events,coach, LO and other duties as assigned to you just to name a few

camera flying runs away in terror> call me for any of the other needs though;). Although it would be nice to be the missle instead of the target :)

I would check into the companies you all work for. Most of the larger corporations (and even some smaller businesses) have funds earmarked for charity/sponsorship kinda stuff. Worst they can say is no. But I know of a few people who have had success with that. Wear logos on your clothes or helmets. tout their product/service (you SHOULD already be knowledgeable about it since you work there!) and perhaps put some fliers/brochures out at boogies. Just a thought. Good luck.

From my experience the last year.... worms are pretty tasty if you saute them in butter and add a little garlic salt!:S

Fall in dove.

I've got a better idea for making money skydiving.

First, you find a private airplane that crosses the mexican border a lot. Make a deal with the pilot. After the inspection, you climb onto the plane with some money. Once you are over Mexico, dive out and buy a lot of drugs.

Come back the same way, except spot your dive well enough so that you can land on the balcony of a major dealer's penthouse apartment. Sell the drugs and invest the profits into training your team.

Sound like a good plan? ;););)

A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All