Lolie

Should Lolie get a credit card?

Okay, I need to scrape up about two thousand more dollars for housing this school year. I know some of it will be paid for from my tax refund, but I don't know where I'm getting the rest... and I just got another credit card offer in the mail today.

Ooh, my HS Econ teacher would kill me just for considering to fill out the application... :S

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

Be careful. If you get a CC for a single purpose, use it, then distroy the card or lock it away, so you won't use it for other stuff. Its easy to get headed down the road of ruined credit.

(with that said, I used a CC to buy my gear and am paying off as we speak.)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The only reason I have a credit card is for emergencies and travel. I also have a "Check Card" Visa but that has some restrictions like you can't use it for a rental car etc. Why spend money you don't have and then end up paying back more? Just save the cash up and buy it.

Don't get a credit card if you don't know for sure you can pay off the entire credit line in a few payments at most... Don't get one if you have any trouble at all remembering to pay other bills on time.... Don't get one if you don't already have a budget set up that you follow... And most especially, don't get one if you don't have a reliable regular income...

I had three credit cards when I started jumping. Within a year after that I'd screwed my credit up completely - it was too easy to charge jumps and too hard to write the payment checks. Took 12 years before I was given another chance by the c/c companies.

I know, not everyone is as irresponsible as I was. Just be careful is all. :)

Credit Cards are EVIL...but great for emergencies...if you are the type of person who can walk by those $200 boots and not buy them ..that's great. I , however comma am not that strong. The ones that get me are when the banks just send you a check for like $2000 in the mail...it takes all my willpower just to tear it up.

If you have the self-discipline to put your housing on a credit card, and nothing else, then fine.

But if you think it might pay for the occasional tank of gas, or jump when you really need one, then don't. Or just get the card, charge your room and board, and then cut the card up or freeze it in a bowl of water in the freezer.

If you do get one, make sure it has a really low limit, and don't up the limit.

And maybe you could look into cheaper housing. Unless, of course, you have to live on campus... Good luck either way. But you're probably going to up up after college with some low-interest debt. Why add high-interest debt to that?

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've gone 3 years with only using mine once or twice a year for the holiday stuff and only then to earn the bonuses off of the purchases. I work for a CC company... trust me.. we love to get young people to sign up for our cards. Our collection rate is over 80% for under 25 year olds with a closure rate of over 40%, highest out of any age group. Unless you can pay it all off in 3 months... don't charge it.

And if you can't pay cash for your jumps... wait till you can unless you want to ruin your credit.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

cc can be good...and bad.....ithey've got me for 8 k right now..but hopefully i'll beqable to pay that off next month......they are awsome for an emergency....so much simpler than calling the parents or a friend and needing them to western union you some cash......and rental cars they are a must..well unless ya cary around hundreds of dollars for a deposit.....and they help ya build credit for other things like a car loan or a house loan....

Only if it's the USPA visa, and only for the picture.:)
That means, you call them and cancel it when it arrives.B|

Go to the "Student Services Dept." and ask for help. I knew a guy I went to shool with land a work-live deal with some hotel. He lived at the hotel in exchange for working in the kitchen - no rent for his entire schooling:oB|. And I knew a girl who landed an apt. mgr job and got rent free (double :oB|)

My other ride is the relative wind.

With a name like Arthur Anderson i don't think i should get one.:D:D;)
But if i ever want to do anything that requires a credit history i am fucked.

I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

With a name like Arthur Anderson i don't think i should get one.

Is your name actually Arthur Anderson, or am I the most gullible person in the world? :$

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

That means, you call them and cancel it when it arrives.B|

Just don't use it. If it's closed, by you or the issuer, it negativly affects your FICO score which is what all the car and home lenders look at.
-----
~~~Michael

Yes my Name is actually Arthur Anderson exact same spelling.

I am always messing with the tellers at the bank, its so much fun watching there faces:D

I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Credit card companies are EVIL .They intentionally fuck over thousands of college students a year by increasing your limit and saying pay it off after graduation . I say get as many as you can , run them up to the limit and file bankruptcy after college . Credit cards are the biggest scam going .

The lawyers have already found new loopholes . The lawmakers need to start making laws to protect consumers from credit card companies . A friend of mine who makes less than 50k a year found himself holding a credit limit on combined cards totaling over 350k . How fucked up is that ? He had one hell of a spending spree . He filed and paid back less than 10k . He now is back up to a 50k limit less than a year after filing . I think it's kind of funny how a bank like Chase can show credit card losses in the billions and still post a profit .