freeflyz

Bad day to be a bird!

Thats a right decent bird strike. I saw some really good ones in the Air Force. Hawks through B-52 inboard leading edges. One that made a hole large enough to get my upper body and shoulders in. Another that went through the radome, radar dish, an avionics box, the firewall, and ended up hung up in the rudder pedals. :D

Hawks through B-52 inboard leading edges. One that made a hole large enough to get my upper body and shoulders in. Another that went through the radome, radar dish, an avionics box, the firewall, and ended up hung up in the rudder pedals.

Holy shit! :oI had no idea that striking a bird in mid air did this level of damage. (well, except when it gets sucked into an engine)
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I had no idea that striking a bird in mid air did this level of damage

Well...just remember that most aircraft skin is only made of .040 thousandths 2024 T-3 Aluminium. T-3 is pretty soft as metals go and .040 ain't real thick. ;) When a plane is doing 100-200 MPH and meets a bird going 10 the opposite direction it can get ugly.

Wow! Hope they thawed it out first!!! hehehe
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Wow. that sure isn't any chickadee,, looks more
like a turkey vulture, or a freakin' CONDOR....
any further outboard on the horiz. stab. and
that bad boy may have had enough leverage
to tear it off....[:/] preety well built plane...
"Talk to me Goose!!!"..."Uh roger Mav...I got him....
Bogie!!!!heading three one zero...." closure speed
900 knots..." ;)..... " Maverick we don't have any fuel for THIS!!!!""".....

Has a skydiver ever hit a bird? I would guess hitting a buzzard in Texas would ruin your day.
Even a sparrow can bring down a plane. Some cargo turboprop suked a few sparrows in an engine which caused it to loose power, and the other engine automatically shut down in what is called a "sympathetic unstop" and the plane crashed.

Someone posted a picture a while back of a pair of pair of goggles with a sparrow or sommat like that half way through them.
Although there was talk of photoshop having some part to play as i recall, i don't think a search will find it as i think it was before Sangiro purged the site.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

yea.....mullins did have a severe tail accident...tandem reserve over the tail on a back out exit.....see the pic!

And he managed to land that?! My respect rating for Mike just doubled. That cat is about as good as it gets.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™