MyUserID

We're Surrounded by Dumbasses

Don't forget that the US is largely geographically isolated, and is much larger than countries in Europe.

Shoot, you can drive through ten countries in one day over there.

The point I'm making is that geography influences one's perception of geography.

I'm not defending public education, don't get me wrong. It's just that when one examines the root causes of ignorance, one musn't assume that everything is as it appears. Yes, it's appalling, but it's also hardly surprising.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Our size and isolation might be contributing factors, but our education system competes against the mass media and apathetic parents for the minds of children. It's no wonder the kids grow up knowing everything about celebrities and athletes, but are woefully ignorant of the real world. Then they grow up, move to Florida, and can't even vote without screwing up.

Why the f&*k would anyone name their capital city Ottawa?

The same reason some guy in North Dakota would name his restaurant "Crabby Dick's Seafood Restaurant." At least I think it was in North dakota...it's somewhere in the middle of nowhere northern USA anyhow.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

The same reason some guy in North Dakota would name his restaurant "Crabby Dick's Seafood Restaurant." At least I think it was in North dakota...it's somewhere in the middle of nowhere northern USA anyhow.

There's a "Crabby Bob's Seafood Restaurant" in Burbank, CA. I often suggest it in jest when we're trying to think of somewhere to eat (unfortunately, a shellfish allergy means that I couldn't sample their wares without projectile vomiting).

Tegucigalpa, Nicaragua

Uuummm...isn't that the capitol of Honduras? :D

Tegucigalpa is indeed the capitol of Honduras. I recommend having coctails at "El Crocodillo"; make sure you have a gun in your fag bag though. I also recommend the "Totem Bar" (near the Maya Hotel) and the very best steak in the world at "El Araierro."

You don't want to know how much time I have spent in Central and South America.

Chuck

You don't want to know how much time I have spent in Central and South America.

Probably less than me (over 8 years :)

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

you knew that off the top of your head, didn't you?

Yeah I did...but my memory was a bit fuzzy. That was back in my younger days when I drank Bacardi 151 straight from the flask. For breakfast...:D

make sure you have a gun in your fag bag though

I had a nice MAC-11 back then. It did the job quite nicely. :D

Why the f&*k would anyone name their capital city Ottawa?

Because many of the f&*k'n places in Canada were named either by or in respect for the Aboriginal words describing them. "Winnipeg", for example, comes from win-ni-pea (or something similar) that literally means 'muddy water' (hey, they can't ALL be glacial streams) My DZ is located at Gimli (Icelandic for 'home of the Gods') and is the largest such settlement outside of Iceland.

By the same logic, who named "Los Angeles" and "San Fransisco" ... perhaps the Spanish explorers, or might it have been the influence of the Mexican aboriginals? New Mexico? How'd THAT one slip by? Most of the towns of your original colonies seem to be named after places in Great Britain and the Netherlands. From whence came your 'invaders' in the 1700's? Therein lies the origin of your local names.

Names reflect culture and history. But, with an ignorance of the history and culture of a region, why would ANY name make sense?

And whassup with Washington State and Washington DC? Run out of ideas? :P

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

BTW, you Canada bashers, take a good look at the attachment......

Yeah, but this is reality, not prison, so somehow you end up our bitch.

And I don't like your beers anyway. Honestly, I wonder if thye deserve the name "beer."
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

make sure you have a gun in your fag bag

LOL! We used to call them that until we discovered how convenient it was to carry a gun in them! It was the abolutely easiest way for the people on the street to make cops.

Burly guy with no fashion sense, bad shoes, DeSantis black cordura fanny pack = COP.

Thin guy with great clothes and leather "fanny pack" that matched his shoes, uh, = NOT COP.

* the above represents a broad overgeneralization not to be used by respectful people in forming opinions of others:P

Burly guy with no fashion sense, bad shoes, DeSantis black cordura fanny pack = COP.

Thin guy with great clothes and leather "fanny pack" that matched his shoes, uh, = NOT COP.

White guy sitting in a bar in Central America drinking like a viking. Speaks perfect Spanish and in spite of his being white blends right in. =SF guy....:D

White guy sitting in a bar in Central America drinking like a viking. Speaks perfect Spanish and in spite of his being white blends right in. =SF guy....

Either that or a missionary kid (I knew lots and lots of them when I was growing up...)

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)