narcimund

Holidays for the lonely

Five years ago we were sitting at home together on Christmas day reflecting on our estranged families and the impact of holidays. For us, like many people a holiday is a full day of sitting at home alone, afraid to call or visit friends because certainly everyone else is doing something interesting with their families.

Well, that Christmas day the two of us decided to try something new. At about 5 pm we each called 5 friends and said, "If you're busy, congratulations! But if you're free this evening, why don't you come on by?" Well guess what? EVERY SINGLE PERSON dropped by and was glad to have somewhere to go!

And that was the origin of our Thanksgiving and Christmas Closing Night Parties. We open our house up for anyone who just happens to be uncommitted Thanksgiving and Christmas evenings. Usually we have around 25 people but sometimes up to 60.

The lesson we learned: EVERYONE is bored and lonely in the evening on Christmas and Thanksgiving. Don't be shy, call them and get together.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

This is one of the many reasons why I love this sport so much. The dz is my family! I spend almost every holiday with them. I love my relatives dearly, but don't make it home to chilly MI every winter.

My relatives think it's funny that I spend my holidays in freefall. I think it's funnier that they spend their holiday eating Jello molds.
When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say?

this reminds me of my last thanks giving day weekend... i wa sin germany 4,000 miles from my family so me and a few friends decided to get togeter and have one hell of a party..... lasted 3 days and many many beers and bottle of alcohol drunk......good times... and since we wehre in a non us land we had roasted chicken from the corner kiosk for thanksgiving.....fun time.........this year i'll be on the road to utah over thanksgiving.... should be interesting....

I have never lived geographically close to my family so I alway had what was referred to as the "Orphans Thanksgiving (or Christmas)". Usually had lots of friends around for the party.

Patrick
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342

I am just planning to work on thanksgiving cause i dont have any family around here and i am on call for work so i cant travel anywhere. i dont want to intrude on others that do have family...
I never really realized how lonely a person can get around the holidays...:S

HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

I am spending the holidays with my Fiance and our kids.. ha ha... My ex wife can't stop me from having fun!! ha ha.. Na Na Ni Boo Boo.. Stick your head in doo doo.. LOLOLOLOL

Sorry, couldn't resist just in case she is lurking.. lol

Rhino

I don't want to go home this year, I had planned on skiing that day but my mother sounded a bit sad today when she asked if I would come home...*sigh*...the hardest part is going to be the lonely drive back home that night if I do go..this is going to be my first year completely alone for the holidays...[:/]:)

I WAS going to my Mom's but my daughter is expecting her first baby any day now so I'm on standby. I'd rather stay home alone and be 2 1/2 hours from her than at my Mom's and be 6 hours away. But still....UGH!! And this waiting, it's stressful. Miss Kayli needs to hurry up and make her appearance in this world:)
Just me and the dog this year. My first holiday alone...ever[:/]. Oh well...Christmas will be better. No money but I have Miss Kayli's first Christmas dress hanging in my closet already:)
Sassy

Skygal - last year was my first time alone for the holidays. I was alone for Thanksgiving, my birthday (which is near turkey day) and Christmas. I was sad thinking about it ahead of time but in fact it turned out to be some of the best holidays ever! I went skydiving at 2 different dzs and being amongst such tremendous friends was comparable to being with family. And I had tons of fun, didn't overeat and didn't spend a fortune on frivolous gifts! You're never alone as a skydiver - there is always family here for you - online and at your dz!:)

Fall in dove.

I don't want to go home this year, ........the hardest part is going to be the lonely drive back home "

At least you have a mother to go home too

You can ski 364 days a year! Make the trip (safely) home for Christmas.

The hardest part is going to the cemetery to place flowers on my mother grave each Christmas.

Nick D

The key to Immortality is- first living a life worth remembering”

When I wasn in the Air Force, we used to have one or more single guys who couldn't get home for the holidays over to eat and drink with us. It seemed to do them some good and even did us some good!

Happy to say the my oldest son, who is career Army, continues the tradition, even when the house is full with his folks.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

thanks guys...and viking, you're so sweet. :$

Being with my mom is the best part of going home, and I know what I wrote sounded bad, but it came out wrong..lol...I actually tried to con her into running away with me but sadly she turned me down. I don't take my time with her for granted, and I tell her that. :)

this is going to be my first year completely alone for the holidays...

You really think i'm gonna let the holiday go by without calling you? I'll even try to call while i'm sober.:)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!