Push

Reserves

Hey all.

I'm looking for a beer rig, and trying to get one as cheaply as possible without killing myself. It would help a lot of you could answer with the DOM on your reserve. Just a short poll to get an idea what is acceptable.

And yes, I will talk to a rigger. I do understand this is no substitute. Yes mother:)

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

If you really wanna save money, just stuff the top of the container with old newspapers. Then, if you do have a mal, when you pull silver there'll be paper everywhere, just like confetti. And everybody loves confetti. Right???
I got nuthin

I figured I would live but I have no shame in saying...I was a bit....apprehensive about actually having to fly that thing.

It's got these crazy wacky brake lines, part of which actually release when you unstow the toggles, so it looks like you've got trailing broken lines. My rigger told me a story about a very freaked out student who was sure he was having a reserve mal when he saw it. Very strange canopy. I wouldn't have a problem jumping one though.
Skydiving is for cool people only

It's got these crazy wacky brake lines

I know....the poor rigger I handed that thing to had to break out a manual....:D I have had quite a few riggers tell me what a great reserve it is though. They have all said how strong those things were built. I was just kinda scared of the MEGA slow reaction time to control inputs. That's what people who had flown them told me anyway. They said think about flaring at 50Ft or so....:D

DOM=2001 Tempo
My first square reserve!
Previous: DOM=1987 (my reserve for 13 yrs.)
26ft. round -army green baby cobra (Niagra Parachutes) with 4 line release= 2 jumps, saved my ass great.

Smiles;)

eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

National Phantom 220 -- DOM 1987 -- 1 deployment (not me)

I've watched my rigger pack it twice....he says it is in fantastic shape. It's scarlett and gray, tho.....I hope I never have to see it above me.....it would kinda clash with the Michigan motif on my rig. :)
Almost had to use it today, too. [:/]

Don

In the Javelin: PD126R D.O.M. December 1992 Was in the rig with a Sabre 150 for $1500

In the Vector II: Glidepath Cricket 145 D.O.M. Jan 1992 Paid $349

Both have no jumps and less than a dozen packjobs.

Yes, Lisa, I upsized my main, but downsized the reserve in the process.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Depending on the reserve.... they could be 40 years old and as long as they pass the pull test, poresisity tests, Acid mesh tests (if needed) and you can find a rigger willing to declare it airworthy you can still jump it.

People jump rounds from the 70's all the time as chest mounted reserves.

PD has a limit on their squares of 40 repacks or 20 deployments before it has to be factory inspected to test for a long list of things again. PD is about the only company that does this.

You can take a Raven, pack it as a main, put 500 jumps on it then pack it as a reserve again if you really wanted to.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hey Phree,

After talking about this with you over on gear and rigging awhile back I got to wondering about why PD does this. The only thing that made sense to me is that PD seems to have a higher max suspended weight on their reserves than other manufacturers I've checked.

Do you think this is the reason?

Greg

Liability? Active gear feed back? Another chance to look at the canopy after being in the field for a few years and see the types of wear and tear the canopies are recieving is invaluable. See if there are patterns that emerge like center cell has a higher porestiy from repacks or the lines are X out of trim after Y reserve rides. Thats my guess.

Your helping PD design, improve and test their reserves with out even knowing it. Plus its a chance to look over the reserve and ground ones that unknowing riggers would still let fly. This program cost money so thats being passed on and makes the PD reserves cost more then some other canopies.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

not in a rig curently but was in one of my rigs..... a pioneer pheniox 195sq.ft. 5 cell dom 1981.........i'd jump it and probly will sometime...right now it's sitting in a platic bag in my closet

There was a statement by the German packers' organization, to the fact that over here you can't jump a reserve that's older than 15 years. The reason was that even nylon will deteriorate after a while, though not visibly. They had some test run on 10 to 12 year old reserves with 0 jumps. While new they used to let 15l/sqf/s (litres per sqf per second) of air through, and with 10 to 12 years that was up to 48l/sqf/s.
It will probably get you to the ground, but it IS your last chance, and I personally wouldn't try to save some there.