ChromeBoy

Hysterical Tandems

The worse I ever saw was this one girl at Aerohio. She was very indecisive about going on the ground. Her friend was preasuring her into it - "C'mon - we said we'd do i togeather".

I don't see how anyone would be nervous jumping with Sherry Butcher!:P

Fast Eddy is a cool guy... I did my first jump strapped to him. (immediatelt afterward I decided AFF was the next step on my agenda) Even though I have my reasons for not going back to ASC, I still think Fast Eddy was a great guy to do a jump with.
hisgoofyness
"650 acres of grass and 5 acres of pavement, why did you land on the taxiway..." RG

It's a requirement over here, but not in the States I think.

At my DZ (Cessna 182) they hook up at about 8,000 ft. It would be extremely uncomfortable to ride up hooked up but would probably be safer if you had to suddenly bail.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Speaking of this subject, I was reviewing some of the video I shot this past weekend and on one of the dives I'm getting ready to launch a flower and I can hear a Tandem passenger in the background "OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD!!!!" I didn't even remember hearing it in the plane but it's clear as day on the video......:D
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

>what's the furthest distance, or most bizzarre, off-landing you've heard for a
> tandem?
Had one in a McDonald's parking lot (dirt lot right next to it actually.) We probably could have made it most of the way back but a) the McD's was near a road so we would get picked up more quickly and b) I was thirsty. I disconnected the student, did the usual congratulations stuff (he was stoked) then gathered everything up and walked into the McDonalds. He just stood there.
"You want anything?" I asked.
"Uh, no, I just wasn't expecting to go to McDonalds."
We went inside and I got a coke. Someone asked me if we had actually just jumped out of an airplane, and it took a lot of willpower to not use the obvious answer ("Duh.")
-bill von

"Uh, no, I just wasn't expecting to go to McDonalds."

"Well, I said this was a full service DZ right? Can't have my tandem students missing lunch!"
I love it!! We had a tandem land about 8 miles off the DZ. Had some type of mal and the bag came out when he threw the drogue so he went ahead and pulled the cord. He was open about 12,000 Ft and there were some decent uppers that day. Luckily to the east of the DZ there are pastures almost as far as the eye can see from altitude. Long ride back to the DZ though...:)"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

I took a parplegic several weeks ago. I feel sure I was more nervous than he was, but wanted him to be able to experience the rush of freefall/canopy ride. All through the train up, ride, jump, landing, he was very "ho-hum" about the whole thing. Never really got excited. After getting him back in his chair, I pulled his wife to the side and asked her if he was always so "enthused", explaining his lack of excitment. She said, "Oh, I should have told you before, but I gave him two valiums right before we got here, to help control the involuntary muscle spasams. The poor guy was high as a kite.
I should have taken a couple, scared the shit out of me!

scared the shit out of me!

No doubt....last time I saw that done they landed on the tuffet but still managed to break one of the guys legs. I mean...it's not like he felt it but that can make some serious complications later on. Scary stuff.....
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

We usually wait until 4,500 feet before hooking up students. 4,500 feet is the lowest I will do an emergency exit with a student connected.
The only time I hook up on the ground is if I am stuck beside the pilot of a small Cessna. Small Cessnas don't have enough elbow room to hook up when the door is closed. Most of the time I take the larger student so I can sit in the back, where there is some elbow room.

<>
I won't say where--but on my #2 RW jump from a CASA, my instructor and I sat on the starboard bench near the open door. When we were at about 4-5000ft (in a steep climb) a tandem student sat on the port side nearest the cargo door--unbuckled from his seatbelt, I might add. He was entranced by the view and yet he had no "wings" on. His instructor was a seat or two away engaged in conversation with another jumper.
My instructor and I looked at each other with that bug-eyed "do you see what I see?" look.
After a moment--the student realized his predicament and ver-r-r-y carefully pushed himself uphill towatds his instructor. YIKES!!
It's a little different in the US, I guess.
"A criminal is a person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation." -- Howard Scott

<>
Is it just me? Or did she (cut out through the miracles of modern video editing) do a mini-hurl just before she enthusiastically dove out of the plane?
I DO kinda sympathize with her. It's such a mind-F#@$ that first time up in the plane: cold, wind, noise, bumping, Jet-A--and that vast nothingness outside the door. YIKES!
Did she like it? Hate It? Doubtfull AFFer.
"A criminal is a person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation." -- Howard Scott

took my filipina girlfriend for a jump,don't think she really knew what it was about. froze in freefall,and at 4000',under canopy says,"can we stop now please".guess i'm a mean bastard ,couldn't stop laughing. she was totally incapable of sitting, standing,or talking after landing.took 5 mins to get her off the landing area.then said she loved it! but then,i've never understood women.
as an aside,99%of all our japanese students are totally unafraid,i get the feeling they think they are doing a ferris wheel ride,or similar.blows me away.

Last summer I was on a load on a C-185. I was getting out at 3,000 and this young college co-ed happened to be positioned right behind me with the TM behind her. During the ride to 3,000 she's giddy and talking and acting like this was great but she wasn't scared. Anyway, i've got my had on the door handle which is in the center of the door and twists to open. I was at my spot and was getting ready to open the door (she was not aware that I was getting out at 3,000) when I hear the TM say something to the girl and I feel a tap on my shoulder. I look over my shoulder and this girl hooks her thumb to the door and says "Get out" with a big old smile on her face. In probably less than a second while still looking at her I opened the door and dove out. The funny part was when I saw the video. Apparently the TM had told her to tell me to get out of the airplane. You could see she was thinking "This is funny". You see the tap, see me turn toward her, see her thumb hook towards the door, see me exit. Then you see the scream, her eyes come out of her head, her hand goes to her mouth. She was a great sport and within a couple of seconds she realized that she had just been the one the joke was on. You see her on the video mouth the words "I can't believe he did that". On the ground while watching her video she asked "Did you jump just because I told you too?" Of course being the responsible, safety concious guy I am I replied with "Well....yeah"

I was fliming a couple of buddies who had come out to do tandems. One was this, like, six foot four mother with this gnarly tattoo of a skull and shit on his shoulder. He had long, greasy rocker hair and the whole nine yards. I usually spot the load, turn on my camera, then put it in the tandems face. I yelled at this guy, "Are you ready to skydive?". He looked me right in the eye and said, "No!". I said, "OK" and we went anyway.
Drewfus McDoofus

>what's the furthest distance, or most bizzarre, off-landing you've heard for a
> tandem?
Heard about Marc out of Skydive Space Center in FL landing a tandem on the shuttle runway. The security guys got all worked up and he and his student had to go to court. He said something like" I didn't see any "No Trespassing" signs the way I came in......." The charges were dropped.
Hook

A few weeks ago this local popstar (with great looks...) came to our DZ for a tandem for some TV show.
Tandems go up in a 206 and are dropped @ 10k
So strapping the passenger at about 8k gives plenty of time...
At 5k the TM told here to get on his lap! Another jumper and I had a quick look at our alti's, then looked at eachother, and turned away from the girl laughing.
TM sees this and decides to take it a little step further, so he asks her manager (who was aboard as passenger) wheter she was Spanish.
Yes the guy says
So TM says: Yea, I can feel it!
Then he tells the girl: If you feel something, don't worry, it's just my cellular.
Believe me, I had a serious brainlock during the jump (brainlocks in 2-way, pffft)
Anyway, this girl loved the ride and the TV show had excellent footage.
Will jump for beer, bs AiRpollUtiOn

Ok... I watched the video and laughed my ass off...then I sat here wondering how I could have a little fun with this...here's what I came up with...I'm gonna find a DZ that I'm not known and go for a tandem...I've never been on a tandem ride before and I'd like to see what it's all about so while I'm at it, I might as well have a little fun with it. At 6'2" and 188 lbs, I bet I can scare the shi* out of an instructor...(maybe I really shouldn't do this but it sure does sound like fun to me...

FFF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."