monkycndo

Aspiring riglets, be careful what you ask for

So, I am a self described gear whore and like to know how things work. So it would only make sense to start learning a bit about rigging.

So I went out and got a little household sewing machine to be able to get some experience on pushing a needle into fabric. Well, once you start, you start to realize that a household machine just doesn't like taking a big needle and trying to push it through several layers of webbing.

So I asked for some suggestions on a good starter machine. Maybe a straight/zigzag machine. Life is good. But then you realize that having to adjust tension and stitch length from straight to zigzag after you get the machine dialed in for straight stitch sux.

So you look for a second machine so you can have one for straight and one for zigzag. Ok, now you are cooking.

But then you start getting fed up with how the bottom feed machines cause the slippery fabric to get pulled through unevenly and you get bunching.

So you look for a walking foot machine. Man, remarkable how nice those patches are when the fabric gets pulled through sooo smoooothly.

But then it hits you how much a double needle walking foot with a 3/16" gauge spacing would be the cat's meow for all things holy and unholy.

So, are you sure you want to buy that household machine?
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Yup. A friend's daughter was complaining that she needed a new backpack. Her old one had blown a seam and she didn't want to give it up. It had a lot of pockets and she had a place for everything.

I asked to take a look, and it was just the thread in the seam, the fabric was fine.

When I said that it would take me longer to set up the sewing machine than it would to actually fix it, she looked at me in shock - "You have a sewing machine?"

I replied, of course - "No, I have three sewing machines." :)

She was grateful that I could fix it.

And this isn't the first time this has come up:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3511144#3511144

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Well, if you know someone looking for a really nice 42 stitch center start stop mechanical (Juki 984), send them my way.:)

Had a line on a Juki 1900 series that slipped through my fingers.:(

Jump an Infinity

I will never forget the loft that the Master Rigger who taught me to sew had. His loft was in the barn at his home. It had ELEVEN sewing machines, all set up, all ready to use. They ranged from two simple straight stitch machines, to a harness machine, with a bartacker in the middle. It was a magical place.

Unfortunately, before we finished my work with him he lost his mind (acute psychosis) and died.

I always wondered what happened to those machines.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Hey, suits only last so long. Purple was in back in '95. Don't you think you are ready for a new one?:P

I Will fucking CUT YOU if you dis purple again>:(>:(>:(>:(

:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I will never forget the loft that the Master Rigger who taught me to sew had. His loft was in the barn at his home. It had ELEVEN sewing machines, all set up, all ready to use. They ranged from two simple straight stitch machines, to a harness machine, with a bartacker in the middle. It was a magical place.

Unfortunately, before we finished my work with him he lost his mind (acute psychosis) and died.

I always wondered what happened to those machines.

If this guy's loft was magical, you would lose your mind when you walk into the loft of PeteS.

Jump an Infinity

I'm trying ot justify a Juki 1900 but once I get out of my current house I am getting a few more machines for sure. I have the straight, a 20u and a light harness machine. I have my eye out for a Class 7 Singer and a bartacker next. Highest on my list is a Double needle with a binding attachment. :S

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I should have mentioned the machines:

Domestic 1366(household)
Singer 20U33 w/ binding attachment
Chandler/Bernina 217
Pfaff 138
Consew 206RB walking foot w/ binding attachment
Consew 339 walking foot 3/16" gauge

Jump an Infinity

I'm doing just fine with my 143w2, 31-15 and a Sailrite LSZ-1 (that I have been meaning to get back in tip top shape).

Been looking for a good walking foot that can push FF to 3 cord. :)

That bartacker sounds nice, but it's probably WAY out of my price range.

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

When you have a Class 7, an electronic bar tacker, a 308 zig zag (maybe that was in there), 3 walking foot machine along with a needle feed, and a 31-15 just because it's on a real nice wooden table, along with the regular zig-zag, double needle and straight stitch machine. THEN we'll talk. Other than upgrading the double needle to a split bar version I'm actually done for now.:)

The most machines I've seen outside of a manufacturer is MEL's shop. When I was there 2 Juki 1900's, 3 mechanical (maybe 4) bar tackers, 2 Consew class 7's, and 10 or 15 other machines set up ready to go. Then he talked about his warehouse of machines.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Other than... I'm actually done for now. angelic]

Yea... you keep telling yourself that...

I'm not alowed any more until I find a new place for them... no basement, barn, shed or other... the 301 and double are in one bed room, the class 6 and bartacker are in the dining room (another bar-tacker in the garage) and the new embroidery machine on the kitchen table (which, btw, does a light-weight 308 stitch!! :P)

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

May I came over and sew the main bottom corner of a rig? The task should take only a minute or two. The manufacturer kinda forget to sew one side back up after replacing the riser covers.

I didn't realize your collection grew so nicely.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

May I came over and sew the main bottom corner of a rig? The task should take only a minute or two. The manufacturer kinda forget to sew one side back up after replacing the riser covers.

At least your dog noticed something was off.:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Indeed he did. He's a smart dog. Small badger hound beagle mix that likes to burrow into places for proper inspection ... and show his true nature by killing the occasional ground squirrel

My current zig zag sucks. I'm looking to replace it otherwise the rig would already be fixed. I may pick up one of monkey's if it sews well.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Sewing machines? Ask my wife about those! I got interested in them after taking the rigger course. Started buying used domestics for too much money.

Then I saw that I could pick up good used pre 1970 machines for cheap because everyone has one in the house, but since grandma can't see anymore, and we throw our worn clothes away now, no one uses them any more.

So I started refurbishing these old beauties and then ebaying them. Now I have about 3 dozen old Singer 401's and 15-90s and 15-91s and 319s and 306s and a couple Pfaffs and Elnas all waiting for my work bench. I've sold about 50 of them in the last couple years. I ship them all over North America, as far away as Puerto Rico.

For my own sewing, I only keep a 20u and a 312t141 two needle, because I don't have room for any more tables. I don't sell industrial machines at all, mostly because they are too expensive to ship.

This is the sort of thing machine addiction can lead to!

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.