kevin922

Those damn defective cypresses on ebay once again..

Here

Check out the pics on his other auction here he just does not want to be seen does he! :)
This time with an email from Chris in the description!

Hi , you are bidding on a cypres skydiving aad , model expert . I had 8 of these and now have only 2 left . The one you are bidding on is the one you see in the pictures which is still sealed in the plastic bag . This is the way they come back from the inspection , so i dident want to open it . You can still read the serial number , date of manufactur , etc... in pictures , even through the plastic . The other pictures you see ( where the unit is not in the plastic bag ) are from a previous auction and i just left those pictures in this ad so you can see what they look like more clearly . So just to be absolutly clear , you are bidding on the cypress that's still sealed in the plastic bag . This unit has just recently had it's inspection this year ( 2002 ) . It's date of manufacture is 1 / 94 , so there are no other inspections due for the rest of it's life . The winning bidder must please ad $8 to the final price for shipping and handling in the states and canada . All other countries are $20 for S+H . Shipping will be with ups standard service and i will email you the tracking number the same day your payment arrives and i send it out . I dont use pay pal , but if you want to pay by credit card your welcome to use the BID PAY service at WWW.BIDPAY.COM . This unit ( along with the others i have ) , where all in a train wreck . Because of this , some people are concerned that they might not work . If you are going to bid on this item , be prepared to be harrased by do gooders who are convinced that these units must be damaged ( even though they've never seen them ) , and that they therefore must be your certain death . The only peoples opinion about these units , that i will even consider worthy mentioning , are the manufacturers and their reprasentatives in the states . I have received the following email from SSK Industries , and they are the ones who do the inspections on these units in north america . I think i cant get any fairer then to show their email which voices their concerns in this auction . HOWEVER , after you finish reading their email , you can continue reading to see my opinion on this issue . Ok , first here is the email from SSK . . Hi There, have received a couple emails concerning this listing our Company is the Western Hemisphere Service Center for CYPRES just so you know, these are the same devices as those in listing 1848847597 from early August - the seller withdrew the auction at our urging they are included on the list of "Missing / Non-Airworthy CYPRES Units" at www.CYPRES-USA.com these 8 CYPRES units were in a UPS shipment to a single customer - the shipment was involved in a train wreck - UPS declared the contents damaged / lost, and did the insurance claim they are listed in our data base as "lost - condition unknown - irreparable" based on UPS's description of what happened, the fact that they volunteered to do the insurance claim, and because there is no way we can tell what physical stresses they were subjected to, there is no way that we can perform any sort of check-out with any degree of certainty in the opinion of Airtec (the German manuacturer), these 8 CYPRES units should be considered unairworthy, and not be used for life saving applications - this is not to say that they do not necessarily work, however there is no way to know via inspection or test what their functional condition will be over the next four years (until the end of the 12-year lifetime) if you decide to continue this auction, please add the above statements - however, what we would really really like to do is get these "off the street" - is there something we might be able to work out so they do not keep re-appearing?? thanks for your consideration, just trying to keep skydivers safe, and reduce everyones risk exposure (your's, our's, and ebay's included) Cliff Schmucker, SSK Industries, Inc.
OK , NOW FOR MY OPINION . First of all , i dont think it's fair for anyone to say that these units are unairworthy , when they havent even seen them . Also , there are plenty of documented cases where a cypres has not worked ( malfunctiond ) , even though they where newer units , with up to date inspections , fresh batteries , and considerd airworthy . So it just goes to show , that there is never a 100% guarantee , that these units will work . If they've been in a train crash or not . Any skydiver with half a brain will always be aware of his altitude , and will not rely on a cypress to save his butt . I have turned these units on , and they all performed their self check countdown perfectly . The countdown started at 9999 , counted down to 6350 , stopped there for about 2 seconds and then continued to count down to 5000 , then continued down to 100 , and finally went down to 0 . Each time it hit one of the above mentiond numbers , the unit paused for about 2 seconds , as it's supposed to do . Also , there is absolutly no damage to the exterior of these units what so ever . If you are bidding on this auction , then i,m assuming that you are a adult skydiver who has enougth brains to make up his own mind as to what he considers a risk . For those who are wondering , yes i am a skydiver , and i am using one of these units myself . So that's about it . Now you've heard ssk's opinion and mine . This should be enougth information for you to make up your own mind if you consider this item ok or not .

THANK'S FOR LOOKING AND PLEASE DONT FORGET TO CHECK MY OTHER AUCTIONS FOR MORE INTERESTING ITEMS !!!

You know, I'm gonna buy one or two of these damn things and take em apart. I always wanted to do that, and it will get them off the market.

I was thinking it would be worth it to buy one to make a camera recovery system if you chop your camera a mini parachute capable of bringing it to a "safer" landing..

Is this a good idea or not? I guess since it is un-airworthy and that means it could misfire then that would be bad.. right?

BTW he only has 2 left I think

Naw, BillVon could make a new cellphone out of it...

Actually, it'd be sorta neat to have a watch made out of a cypress casing...I bet they'd sale well if someone made them.

(call them "Pull-Time Watches")
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

"Actually, it'd be sorta neat to have a watch made out of a cypress casing..."

It would look quite dainty....;)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

You know, when I see a description that long I assume somebody has something to hide and don't bid.
Is he writing a BOOK?
If anyone wants me to paypal some $$ (not a lot) to start a fund to get these damn things off the market I might be convinced.

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....

Side note... did Airtec announce a rebate program or anything for expired cypres at PIA?

They mailed details of the program when I got mine back from 4-year.

The rebate program is $50 off your next one.

Pretty lame.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Again, I work for the biggest railroad in the country. I can say with all certainty, you do not want a cypress that was lading involved in a derailment. The forces involved are staggering and I would not want to trust my life to a piece of electronic equipment that might have been damaged.

If a UPS train derails and packages are spilled, the first thing the Railroad and UPS do is recover all packages that are still intact and get them delivered. If these things were written off by UPS and the RR, I guarantee the box they were in was heavily damaged.

Mike

Mike

UPRR3.jpg

i know a few of the swoop gods at Eloy that have talked about getting an expired one to see if they can make it fire..i'll have to tell them about this, maybe they'll take up a collection..

i'll sit in the stands and watch...

Apparently Billvon2 doesn't seem to mind. From the list of bids on the auction, Billvon2 put in a bid on this unit. What are the chances of there being 2 seperate Billvons?

Huh, if SSK deems them unariworthy, thats enough for me. I personally think that this guy is a newbie jackass. How he refers to skydivers in his little tyrade shows his true colors and doesn't reflect any the attitudes and opinions of any skydivers I know.
Tool.

i know a few of the swoop gods at Eloy that have talked about getting an expired one to see if they can make it fire..i'll have to tell them about this, maybe they'll take up a collection..

i'll sit in the stands and watch...

Why not just tie it to a bowling ball and drop it from 2 grand?

Easy Does It