SkyDekker

30k jumps at wffc

I have bene hearing this rumour that halojumper.com will be at the WFFC for jumps from 30,000 feet out of the Mullens King Air. Cost around $350.

Any truth to this?

Go to the Events & Gatherings forum and get the details.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Now I'd pony up $350 for a 30k jump at the WFFC! Seems like more bang for a buck than a B-17 or B-24 (especially since the Collings Foundation planes won't be there this year!).
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Kevin Ho had a reserve ride at 25000 ft, and 37 minutes later he landed in the small farming community of Bolivar , TN. 27 miles south east of the DZ. With 60 + mph wind aloft and Kevin holding into the wind he still traveled 27 miles. Farm vehicles and a convoy of pickup trucks followed him for over ten minutes as he chose an unplowed field to land in next to farm road 18.

This was Kevin's first reserve ride in twenty + years of jumping and it was a good one. His free bag was discovered on the east side of Nashville two days later, 120 + miles away. :D

Ummm...why did he open his reserve at 25k?

probably turning a HALO into a HAHO!!!

(hey....HO!!! - sorry - couldn't resist!:D)

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

According to Kevin, his FXC did not fire and his reserve handle was still in place. He thinks he must have snagged his gear on the way out and the pin worked loose at 25K.

Note that markharju's account differs slightly from Mike Mullins', who says that Kevin landed 12 miles from the dz.

Although in terms of choosing an out, 12 miles might as well be 100 miles - think about whether you know of any outs more than a mile from your dz - I don't.

I'm going to try to get on a 30K load at some point this summer - I'll give a report whenever that happens.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Kevin Ho had a reserve ride at 25000 ft, and 37 minutes later he landed in the small farming community of Bolivar , TN. 27 miles south east of the DZ. With 60 + mph wind aloft and Kevin holding into the wind he still traveled 27 miles. Farm vehicles and a convoy of pickup trucks followed him for over ten minutes as he chose an unplowed field to land in next to farm road 18.

This was Kevin's first reserve ride in twenty + years of jumping and it was a good one. His free bag was discovered on the east side of Nashville two days later, 120 + miles away. :D

tell kev to send me my damn video from the chute n shoot ......heh

Note that markharju's account differs slightly from Mike Mullins', who says that Kevin landed 12 miles from the dz.

Not my piece - quoted from the website. It's still funny though. :D

curious if i could get a 10 minute skydive if i used my birdman?

The first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was Lou Diamond. :D

I seem to recall that HALO-Birdman has been done. About two years ago, Skydiving Magazine did a photo story on two Birdmen who flew from mainland Holland to Texel.

The actual distance, from the exit point to his landing, was 9 statute miles.

I have not heard about the freebag "landing east of Nashville". This seems to me to be highly unlikely. Freebags and pilot chutes usually descend about as fast as a canopy. From 25,000' the freebag and pilot chute should have been is the air no more than 25 minutes. If the wind was uniformly 60 mph from 25,000 all the way to the ground, the freebag could not have gone more than 25 miles. For it to go 120 miles, it would be necessary for the wind to be over 240 mph from 25,000 all the way to the surface.

Mike Mullins