jeepers

is an expired reserve worth anything

depends on the manufacturer and the local rules.

if the manufacturer says it is toast, well it is worth a decorative piece of fabric.

if it is your local rules which say it is dead, but not the manufacturer, sell it cheap to some other country in which it would be OK
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

In the US the rules are:

If the original application to the FAA for TSO has life limits specified in it then it can be limited to that time and can not go beyond it. It is still subject to the 180 day inspection cycle. This can't be changed, by the manufacturer, after the original approval is issued except by a grounding recall issued by the FAA.

If the original application does not have a life limit then there is no life limit, if falls into the "Progressive Mainainance" process. That means that it is only good for 180 days and then must be re-certified for another 180 days. This can go on until a certifying rigger won't certify it any longer.

Okay local rules say I can't jump it any more. Its manufactured by para-flite. Anybody know what their rules are?

Also what are the regulations in the US?

I don't believe it has a life limit as per the maker.
However, it is probably an older reserve that is not worth much :( If you specify the model and the DOM you could get a more precise answer.

Okay local rules say I can't jump it any more. Its manufactured by para-flite. Anybody know what their rules are?

Para-Flite had no life limits.
Basically, for personal skydiving gear built in the US, no companies have had life limits listed.

(Some life limits that do exist: Sending back PD reserves for example after X pack jobs or Y deployments - but no calendar life. Strong Tandem rigs - Strong lifes them. And some companies now put life limits on pilot emergency parachutes.)

While I like John Sherman's viewpoint, it is a very debatable point. If someone brings gear to a US rigger and the latest manual (not the original manual) says that that pilot rig has a 20 year life, many riggers are going to follow what the manufacturer says.

Para-Flite reserves are fairly old fashioned in design. Solid enough, but a 20 year old Para-Flite is going to be worth much less than a 20 year old PD reserve.

(Is it just the reserves that are lifed in Ireland? Just wondering how people would jump antique gear there.)

Para-Flite had no life limits.
Basically, for personal skydiving gear built in the US, no companies have had life limits listed.

While I like John Sherman's viewpoint, it is a very debatable point. If someone brings gear to a US rigger and the latest manual (not the original manual) says that that pilot rig has a 20 year life, many riggers are going to follow what the manufacturer says.

And many FAA inspectors will give the same opinion. The latest manual, if it says it superceeds the previous manual, must be followed.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

You can try selling it for cheaps here in The Netherlands. I have a swift 5 in my accuracy rig myself, and have sold a 20yr old PD-R 143 and a 20ish yr old tempo 120 last year to other jumpers. There's no life limit as such here, and if the reserve is good, it's good.
Certainly for a reserve for a water rig, accuracy rig or other rig that needs to be cheap, there's a small market here for older reserves. Or you can try poutting it on ebay as a decoration canopy/car cover. That might actually net you more.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

As the title suggests, I have a 20 year old reserve. Is it worth anything?

Not expired in the US. If it is airworthy it is worth between $300-$500 depending on the condition. (retail)

Para-Flite built a good reserve. I packed one last summer that appeared to be brand new and it was made in 1991.
Onward and Upward!

Its a Swift plus II I think. Manufactured in 1992.

As for jumping antiques, maybe someone else can answer that. All I know is my rigger told me I need a new reserve [:/]

Let me GUESS....
your rigger ALSO happens to BE a gear dealer AND .....
he :osells:S reserves!!!!!!!
just guessing...:P;)

jmy

Its a Swift plus II I think. Manufactured in 1992.

As for jumping antiques, maybe someone else can answer that. All I know is my rigger told me I need a new reserve [:/]

Let me GUESS....
your rigger ALSO happens to BE a gear dealer AND .....
he :osells:S reserves!!!!!!!
just guessing...:P;)

jmy

If the national rules say 20 years, the rigger has to follow these rules. Period. There's no need for discussion.
"Yeah, but yesterday was fine so what's wrong today ?"

Or you are saying that every time a rigger declare piece of gear as "un airworthy " he or she is trying to sell something extra?
In that case I hope you trust your rigger more than that!!! [:/]
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

what sizes did para-flite reserves come in?

The swift plus were available as a 140 somthing, 170 somthing, 200 and 225 (I think that was the largest). The original 5 cell swift was only available as a 170 something.

I have one ride each on the 200 and 225. They worked very nicely, quick smooth opening, had a pretty steep glide angle, but flared well - easy landing. Lots of kevlar reinforcement I think.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I trust MY rigger just fine......cause he has EARNED that trust...

but like MANY things... i've seen good ones and i've seen BAD ones.....( many of whom would push all sorts of gear on people who may or may NOt neeed it) .... just sayin'....

mostly,,,, i was just just making a joke !!!:o:S:P

ps not all RULES.....make sense....:|

jmy

They also made a larger 5 cell reserve modeled after the Cirrus main, forgot how big that was, I think they made an Orion 7 cell reserve? Not so many of either of those were made I think. Before the 5 cell swift was introduced, the 5 cell safety flyer (the first square reserve I think) and safety star, both 170 ish.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

only as a car cover.....I had an old Rascal 202 that I had never used but still had in an old container....DOM 1989. Two different riggers I knew and trusted refused to repack it for me....so end of discussion. That's what I pay them for, their skills AND their judgment.