hooked

Did any of you think about..........

This reminds me of a Brian Germain canopy lecture that he spent more time talking about psychology than skill. People are dumb animals in high stress environments (we are prone to make bad choices); the adrenaline we seek mutes our judgement.

Yeah, he has a psych degree specializing in thrill-seeking, I thought that was kinda funny for someone who test-jumps canopies :P

My understanding of the risks involved changed quite a bit before and after I started jumping. I knew about what the fatality/injury rate was, but I didn't really know the main causes. Between the FJC and reading incident reports though, I think I got a better feel about the things that really made the sport dangerous.

I think it is neccesary to understand that there are certain risk beyond the fact that there is a danger of dying of your parachute not opening. I am new, so the risk are fresh in my mind. In my mind it is only when we realize the risk then we can be safe. If you think everything will work out, you might find yourself in a situation which "everything" will not work out and you could die.

Anyways in response to the question

I choose to skydive because I accept the risks, If I could die doing something I loved (rather then being hit by a car or die of illness) then I think it would be worth it. Skydiving isn't a hobbie its a way of life for me.=D

Peace

Sean

Sean
Sean In Thailand

ANY sport has inherrent risks. Ok so you can break stuff and get bruises..waaaaa....

She could be skiing... Evil trees will try to attack you. Sonny Bono and the Kennedy cousin that were viciously attacked and killed by trees while skiing show that skiiing can be lethal. Every year the National Ski Patrol scrapes up THOUSANDS of people injured in one way or another.. and all the BRUISES>.. sheesh

If she is a tennis player... .. depending on how active she plays... stumbling and falling could lead to more bruises.. or scrapes.... twisted or broken ankles...

How about bicycle riding.. out there in traffic... wow.. SUPER dangerous.. there are far too many accidents with cars hitting bicyclists... and the bicyclists lose big time in those situations.

I could cite SOMETHING from nearly ANY sport that can cause an injury. It keeps sports medicine a very busy portion of the medical professions.

She has to accept the fact that Skydiving is indeed an ACTIVE sport. You can get hurt... you try to minimize the risks.. but stuff happens...no matter what sport or activity you might want to try. Life is a risk. This is one of reasons that no one gets out of this life... alive. AT least while you are alive you can experience life. If you hide indoors and hope nothing ever happens to you like some people do... I think that is not a life worth living.

Amazon

RISKS??? Oh you mean driving to the DZ or anywhere, where you pass within 3 feet of a vehicle going the opposite direction at about 140 mph. Yeah, sometimes...

The secret to life is not arriving at the grave in a well preserved body but sliding in sideways completely worn out yelling "holy crap" what a ride!!!

I didn't think much about it before I started. The more I've done it, the safer I think it is (as far as fatalities go anyway).

I wasn't at all aware of the real risks when I was a whuffo. Then in between my tandem and my first AFF jump I found myself reading about some accidents here on DZ.COM and I wondered what I was getting into. But thanks to my training, I built up an "It's not as dangerous as everyone thinks" attitude. However, over the last few months, my attitude has changed once again (based on accidents which happened to others as well as a few close calls of my own) and I've come to a new conclusion.

"Skydiving is a dangerous sport. It's risks can be managed, but you can still get messed up really bad on a jump where you did everything you were supposed to do".

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

well, i was aware of the risks to the extent of 'what if your chute doesnt open', which is a pretty good start on realizing the risks, but not for a second did it stop me from pursuing the sport once i decided. early in my skydiving experience i was actually exposed to the result of 'what happens when your chute does not open'. late that night, i was drunk, watching swoop videos with some people and crying yet even in that moment i knew that i belong in the sky. the inherent risks are dealt with in safety procedures and equipment and diligence. no further consideration is needed as far as i am concerned i don't know if that was a yes or no, jan.
namaste, motherfucker.

i knew it was inherantly dangerous. I still know that. I think that there are more safety measures in place than most other sports. Plus, no matter what the danger, i like it enough to keep doing it. Don't get me wrong and take it as I want to be careless. I try to be as safe as I can. There are just unforseen anomolies that cannot be "totally" prevented.

And I'm ok with that. It's worth it to me to take those chances.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I think that anybody who did not realize the risks of skydiving was not paying attention to the waiver (lawyer moment here: what a thing of beauty that thing is!); was not paying attention during the tandem training; was not paying attention during their student training, or was not paying attention to the in-your-face danger of the thought of exiting and aircraft at 12,500 feet.

Could there be a sport with a more apparent danger? Chainsaw juggling? Waterfall barreling? Dodging bullets?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I think that anybody who did not realize the risks of skydiving was not paying attention to the waiver (lawyer moment here: what a thing of beauty that thing is!); was not paying attention during the tandem training; was not paying attention during their student training, or was not paying attention to the in-your-face danger of the thought of exiting and aircraft at 12,500 feet.

Could there be a sport with a more apparent danger? Chainsaw juggling? Waterfall barreling? Dodging bullets?

Ok, it's bad...but B.A.S.E.?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I can't believe anyone would ignore that great Tandem video with Bill Booth looking like a guitarist from ZZ Top talking about "This experimental equipment" that is about to save your life (probably) as you hurtle through the atmosphere. ;)
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

I can't believe anyone would ignore that great Tandem video with Bill Booth looking like a guitarist from ZZ Top talking about "This experimental equipment" that is about to save your life (probably) as you hurtle through the atmosphere.

Isn't that the PERFECT introduction to skydiving....:D:D

Did any of you think about or realize the risks of skydiving, before you became a skydiver?

Yes, I thought about it, but to the extent of being paranoid about listening to my instructors...after all, we've made a sport out of an emergency procedure. ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Yes, I should have mentioned that old RWS pre-tandem video. And I'll admit to thinking to myself, "Who the hell is THIS guy?" Furthermore, I defy ANYBODY who's first experience with skydiving was that video to say that Billy Gibbons in a nice office making a statement about the dangers of the sport and the "experimental" gear thought otherwise.

I must admit that knowing what I know about him now I feel bad for ever thinking that...[:/]

My wife is hotter than your wife.

It took me about 8 months to save up for AFF so by the time I was ready to jump I had already been on this site for that whole time, read some books and watched some videos and mentally ready to go..Now allI needed was the practical experiance!! Of coarse with kids and a wife I always think about the what ifs...but then thats what we'er all here for!! Hell lifes no fun without the WHAT IFS!!

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

I thought about getting killed, but didn't worry about it. Afterall, if I'm dead I don't care.

But, after I crunched that vertebra, I realized there was the whole "vegetable in a wheelchair for 60 years until I die a long drawn out painful death" possibility. That's what makes me think twice now and then--but only for a millisecond, because skydiving rocks.

ummm not really.
My parents met skydiving....although they're now divorced....:D:$
I've been around skydiving my whole life, I can honestly say there isn't much I haven't seen of the good, the bad and the ugly...:D:P
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

My first jump was on August 28, 1999 and before
getting on the plane I pictured that date as possibly
being the one engraved on my tombstone.

Well that date will most certainly be engraved on my tombstone...just with a different year, since August 28th is my birthday.

Chris