Erroll

Superstition & skydiving

From Hookit's "13 years" thread -

:In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AaaaH!!! Lucky 13

In the Pagan and Native American religions 13 IS a lucky number.

Indeed. I did my first freefall on jump 13, literally 10 minutes after my last DRCP. Didn't have time to consider the luck or otherwise of #13.

Does superstition play a role in anyone's skydiving routines or habits?

I ALWAYS where my closing pin necklace curved to the right and I ALWAYS have to go through toss, peel ,pull , punch at LEAST 3 times on the way to alt and right before I jump!!!! Yeah it all may be silly but hay what ever makes your skydive easieris good with me!!

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

Not in mine. I was getting into a habit of wearing a "lucky scarf" around my neck even when it wasn't that cold. Then on one jump when I was walking to the plane I noticed I had forgotten it. I considered going back and getting it, felt stupid, and went ahead with the jump without it.

nope. jumped on friday the 3th several times & never even thought about it much.

Oh ya?!!

My last reserve repack was done on Friday the 13th and it was the, aheem, first time I'd seen it. Then, for the hell of it, I took a hop n pop just because :)
-Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Sort of got into the habit of putting my car key in my jumpsuit pocket because there was no one to leave it with when I first started jumping at my DZ. The other day (the 13th!) for the first time my mother and father were up at the DZ (Put my mother out on a Tandem for her 62nd birthday) I asked my Dad to look after the key and BINGO!!! First cutaway! Next couple of jumps (Now lucky key in pocket ) and happy as Larry!
Don't really like to have a supersition though as it just makes you loose focus and unsettles you if you then forget to do what ever your 'lucky' thing is.
B|
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I have my Dad's dogtag in the reserve flat pocket in my container and a piece of his silk canopy from WWII (that saved his life) in my jumpsuit pocket. While I will jump without these things, they make me feel good having them with me.

Patrick
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342

Hmm, I have gone up on the 13th load, quite a few times, never had any real problems...

Did land out oin my 13th jump, but I probally could of made it back ;)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I jump with my dad's Airborne coin in my jumpsuit pocket. Since I have a couple of jumpsuits, my friend that is in the Air Force gave me a coin, and I have that in my other jumpsuit. Oh, and always have to have chapstick in the pockets. Need to put that on right before I leave the plane.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I have my Dad's dogtag in the reserve flat pocket in my container and a piece of his silk canopy from WWII (that saved his life) in my jumpsuit pocket. While I will jump without these things, they make me feel good having them with me.

Thats very cool. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Nope.

I was having a friendly conversation with an Airborne chaplain one day when I was in the Army. He asked me if I prayed before I jumped.

I replied, "No. God didn't pack my main or reserve". There you have it. :P

I ALWAYS have to go through toss, peel ,pull , punch at LEAST 3 times on the way to alt and right before I jump

I like this - if only every superstition happened to be a safety procedure!

Personally, I don't let superstitions get in the way of fun. My 13th jump was also my first pack job :)
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Well lets see, I was married to my worthless ex on Friday, June 13th 1997...well yeah he was a loser...

my 13th jump I flared too high and let it up and my canopy surged forward and I cracked my fibula and tore my right knee's menicus...but I think that was more my fault than it being my 13th jump...

I always touch all of my handles several times in order before exiting, and check my pins, but that is nore of a habit that I was told to do as a student and so I always do now...

I don't really have anything to take with me on my jumps. If I forget to take my closing pin necklace off before I get on the plane I do put it in my pants pocket, but only because I have heard that there were reports of the pin getting stuck in someones throught due to a hard opening...and I do jump a Sabre 135...

Other than that nothing really, oh wait I kiss my kids goodbye and tell them that I love them very much before I leave to go any where...because you never know if that is the last time you will see eachother...

Kathryn

I've always been superstitious with the number 13. The first time I saw that I was on Load #13 I tried to get changed to a different load :P, didn't get it changed and it actually was the best jump up to that date I had. Since, I've been on another load 13 and been through my 13th jump and actually those were all really awesome skydives as well.
So I say screw the superstition!!! :S
Although I still won't cross the path of a black cat ;)

Oh, I'm so curious....why to the right?

Cause its the way I dress myself:o .....No Just kidding!! I actually dress to the left..but HEY thats another thread!;)

Anyway it sounds stupid but everything happens to the right...you deploy to the right (well most of us) and you start your cutaway proceedures to the right...When packing I start with the bottom flap of coarse but then go to the right flap first, So thats just the way it worked out !!! The Irony of it all is that I'm a lefty!!

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

I’m super new.

One Friday about a month ago, I did jumps 5, 6, and 7. On 5, I and the 2 JM went upside down on exit, I was all alone on and on my back{I righted my self}, and it felt pretty good. Jump 6 felt good, but I failed. Jump 7, felt great.

Then the weather got crappy. Missed jumping, so I ordered an altimeter online. I had it sent to work, I was so happy when it arrived … until I looked at it. Picture below. I debated on returning it, decided not to. That would be silly, I don’t want to pay for the postage.

Did 4 jumps that next weekend with the altimeter. They went super crappy and didn’t feel good.

That Friday went back to do my level 5 for the fifth time. Decided to use the drop zone’s altimeter. The jump went crappy AND I have the video to prove it. So it is not the altimeter, it is me. :} I put my altimeter back on, and made 2 more jumps. They went minimally better, still crappy … but better {and fun} and with my unlucky altimeter.

Oh well, more then you wanted to know.