curtismelaniej

Parents- how do you deal?

Ok-- so my parents are out visiting, which I'm psyched about-- we're doing a bunch of whuffo things, which is cool-- but I would obviously love to take them out to the DZ to see where I really spend all of my time, meet some of my friends, whatever. But I can't because my Mom is SO excruciatingly against my skydiving it has literally crippled our relationship into this kind of fake, superficial thing. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Mom, and she loves me (which is the very reason she hates skydiving-- like many whuffos, she thinks I will die jumping out of airplanes), but because of her closing herself off from any mention of skydiving, pretty much I can't even talk to her, because 95% of my life is skydiving right now. Anyway, I'm not the type to usually post personal stuff like this, but I need some comiseration, I think-- and maybe some advice on how to just accept it and let it go.
Thanks,
BLUES! (The good kind! ;))
Mel :)

It took two years of convincing to get my mom to the dz to watch me jump. Even then, she was so nervous - that she made me nervous - and so last minute I decided to land on the other side of manifest from her in case something did go wrong. It's tough because we used to be a lot closer. I think it just takes more time with some whuffos than others. Good luck! :)

but because of her closing herself off from any mention of skydiving, pretty much I can't even talk to her, because 95% of my life is skydiving right now

Have you told her this? I'll bet she doesn't realize how much it's affecting you and your relationship with each other that she can't talk about your passion with you.

My mom had a big problem with me jumping for the first few years - she wouldn't come to the dz at all at first, that took a couple of years.

With time she began to understand that skydiving is my life. I've always made a point of telling her the things I do to reduce my risk of injury or death; I think that helped her to accept it. She'll never jump but she has come out to watch a few times over the years.

I hope your mom comes around with time too. In the meantime, have fun doing whuffo things with them... enjoy every minute and love them as they are.

I know they don't read this forum, but I love you Mom and Dad. :)

I have told her about stuff-- about my team, about going to the tunnel, etc. I even wrote her this long upbeat email before they came out about how we could do this, this, and this (whuffo stuff)-- and if they wanted to we could go to "the place I team train," and meet my friends-- they could see my team room-- we wouldn't have to stay very long, blah blah blah. In the past I have written her extensive emails about the gear, about how I have taken every possible safety measure in my skydiving-- that I wouldn't skydive if I thought I was going to DIE, in fact, I skydive because I want to LIVE! Preaching to the choir, I know-- I guess I'm just venting. My Mom is a small town girl who is very conservative-- she's VERY loving and her life is her children and grandchildren-- but she just doesn't live very largely herself. BUT, like me, I live my life how I want to live my life, and so does she. To each her own, I guess.

Thanks for the vent. :$

Some things you just can't share with your parents, be it skydiving or whatever. I try to focus the time I spend with my parents doing things that I know they are into, and that I can enjoy as well. With my Mom, that was getting up at 5:00 in the morning for a walk on the beach and then going to breakfast.

I mean, if you take her to the DZ you won't be able to focus all of your attention on her.

Also, the DZ is not really that conservative of a place, if your Mom doesn't like skydiving... do you really want her exposed to everything and everyone who goes along with it?

Yeah, you're so right-- the dz certainly isn't the best place for clean, wholesome fun. As for doing what they're into, yes again, that's what I'm trying to do-- we're thinking about going to the Getty, maybe some wine-tasting, hitting the beach, etc, etc-- all good whuffo stuff that I never get to do cause I'm always jumping! ;) At least it's not a secret-- I have told them what's up in my life, and they just choose to ignore it because they can't grasp the concept of it all-- which I understand-- they're just whuffos, and that's that. Tonight I think we're going out for steaks-- um, ALL ABOUT IT! :D

Skybytch has some really good advice.

Wow. I am surprised that your parents are so against it. I'm confused. For some reason, I thought that you had told me that your father/parents/relatives owned a DZ. I must have been mistaken.

Obviously, I have seen you around the DZ and on the plane, Melanie. When you are skydiving, you are so completely in your element. It would be nice if your parents were to see you that way.

Maybe you could have your parents go to the DZ for only an hour or two to catch the last couple of loads on a Saturday evening after spending the day doing a whuffo activity. That way, they would get to see everyone winding down. If they refuse to go, then do not force the issue. Your passion for skydiving is obvious, and I am sure that they know this.

If your parents do agree to go to the DZ, let me know what day that they will be there. I would love to meet them. I was a whuffo, myself, not too long ago, so I understand their fear of the unknown. Also, it would be nice to let them know how inspiring that you are to new women like myself. Your parents should be so proud of you, Melanie. :)

My mom didn't like the idea of it at first but my dad had always quietly supported me. Once she saw some of my video and the Kate Cooper segment on the show Lifetime, she is really more understanding. Also, I've gotten my sisters to jump. My dad past away in April and Mom and sisters came down to visit me in July and I almost got mom to do a tandem. She said she wished she would have when she came to visit.

Judy:)
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Hi Melanie,

Ya know, if she came out to the dropzone she might have a better understanding of skydiving. Her perception may be different and she actually sees it for herself it may change her outlook. I think if she meets your teammates, and the people at the dropzone it will help her understand why we are so passionate about the sport.

You rock, Mel!B|

See ya at the dz.

You are so sweet, Rosa, thank you. We'll see what happens, but I think for this visit I'll just stick with the whuffo stuff-- BUT, we might go tasting down in Temecula, so if we do, the DZ is right on the way... maybe, just maybe, they'll be up for stopping in-- it would be this Sunday...

OH, and just to clarify-- my DAD owns a DZ in NY-- my parents divorced when I was very young, and my Mom and Dad don't get along-- so that's another element to her dislike of skydiving. My "parents" are my Mom and my step-Dad, who's been around since I was 3. :)

You guys all rock-- THANKS for all the great posts-- you've definitely helped get me back to my upbeat self. I'm out of here in a few minutes-- just wanted to say thanks, and have a great weekend jumping!! (I think this is the first weekend I haven't been at the dz to jump in 6+ MONTHS! Crazy! Whuffo stuff is going to be good for me... :$)

Weighing in late. Even if you don't go to the DZ, you might want to invite a couple of (saner) skydiving friends along to dinner with your parents, or something like that. It'll show them how integrated skydiving is into a complete life, and not one that they think is too focused on one thing.

Your mom might have lost your biological father to skydiving in a social and family sense, and she might think it was too great a sacrifice. So if she can see you having both in a way that actively includes them, well, it might help. And when you're with your folks, be wholly with them. And if you have to take a call, or call the DZ, then be wholly on that call -- it's part of you too.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

One of the things that helped my father begin to accept (not understand, just acccept) my skydiving is when I took my gear over to his house and showed him the RSL, the cypres, where the reserve and main live, and so forth. It helped him get a good solid visual of the gear I use, and it helped him over the hump. He didn't know he was in for a gear lesson, and I didn't go into details, but he feels somewhat more secure seeing it and touching it (well, except for the reserve...) for himself.

Have fun, and see you soon...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Hmm, my mom doesn't really like the fact that I skydive. It drives her up a wall, and she is still in the stage where she thinks she can talk me out of it. Haven't told my dad that I jump, just because I don't talk to him much, he might think its cool just haven't told him.

I really dislike the anti-skydiving conversations I am forced to have every now and then. :S
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Well, I guess I'm lucky I work/jump at a pretty family freindly DZ. The DZM's are married couple, and the gear store owner is married too, with a daughter just a little younger than mine.

Plus I'm 40, huh. What the heck's she gonna do to me? Seriously, skydiving has made me a happier person, and after a couple of years without getting killed, my mom and mother in law have come out to watch me do my thing.

After you've done it for a while without breaking yourself, they'll calm down and probably come out. I don't think you should rush it.

You'll be skydiving until your 80-something, after all ;)

I'm lucky I don't really have to deal with it. My mom and I both did skydives on the same day, and both continued. She stopped for lack of funding, but encourages me and will occasionally buy me a jump. My dad accepts that I skydive and doesn't try to talk me out of it. I kinda think he's trying to pretend I don't jump out of planes. But that's alright, I can live with it.

Here you go Sister Girl-

Worlds Most Dangerous Sports

Forbes Magazine & Skydiving isnt one of them.

If it helps or not, I guess it depends on if they will listen to Forbes magazine. But it is unknown if your folks will feel any better. I added to that some myths about skydiving for my parental units.

I said that a person does not just fall out of the sky going a billion miles an hour like a 10W40 missile. The body position slows everything down. THEN, I said you dont crash straight down either, you land just like an airplane. In addition, parachutes are not like the war movies and round, they are square like, steerable and come in really pretty colors.

I told my folks that even if I fell asleep skydiving there is a computer that opens my parachute. And if I forget where I am, there is another computer in my helmet that says- Helllooooo, and screams so loud my ears almost fall off.

I continued to basically make shyt up accordingly to my Dads facial expressions. I figured if lying like a mud fish was ever called for -this would be it.;) Apply major sugar coat.

I said "Did you know, (he is a private pilot who does stunts), that Split S's are just like Hook Turns?" <...pause...> My Dads eyes bugged out, then I said -"But, I dont do those." That part is really true. B|

Most Dangerous Sports according to Forbes Magazine.

Well, good luck Mel.
My mother still says- "You are not still skydiving are you?"
I avoid lying and say -Not in a while-
To a skydiver 'a while' is like one day.

~AirAnn~

Most Dangerous Sports according to Forbes Magazine.

What a load of crap. BMX does not really deserve to be on that list... not saying it's not dangerous, but skydiving should be on a list like that long before BMX. I actually quit BMX because I got hurt a lot, ironically, but I was never afraid of death or paralysis, just frequent pain. I mean, sports like BMX and skateboarding, you never see someone past 30 doing. They always destroy their knees, etc. But you DO see old skydivers. The only other cool sport where you see old people is surfing.

Back ON-topic... my mom who is ultra conservative has told me she wants to do a tandem, AFTER defending me when my whole extended family tried to get me to stop skydiving when I started. Had no idea she was cool.

Sorry Mel, I know that doesn't help you. Maybe you can at least start them off with a video if you can't get them to a real DZ. Show a whuffo a tunnel video and sometimes they get amazed.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Mel - I don't think you can ever convince certain people about the sport. My ex-fiancee' couldn't/wouldn't understand. I even bought her a tandem (she hated it). After all of this time, I think it's a lost cause.

Maybe she saw your "stoner glasses" on DZ.com and thought skydiving made you look that way. :)
Maybe I'll see you ned weekend, then.

Terry
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

Every time I meet my parents, I make sure to have one of my skydiving video ... this way, they see how enthusiastic I am about the sport (I can speak a full evening about 2 minutes of tape) and I can show them what I do, how safe it is and how much fun and cool friends I have. And they accepted it because they like seeing me be happy ...
And it is after one of these video that I learned that my father was professionally videoing skydivers in the 70s (strapped at the door of a plane) ;)

You can't determine the length of your life
- but you can control its height and depth.