Muenkel

What's the purpose of the political threads?

Has anyone jumped to the other side as a result of any political thread here?

I admit I have gotten sucked into quite a few, but I have come to the conclusion that they are a complete waste of time and effort.

If you're sick of the political threads, I say just boycott them. I'm in horror thinking about what Talk Back will be like 1 year from now.:(

If I seem a little bitter, it's because I hate the fucking Yankees!!!

Chris

Some people hate the politics thread, others hate the sex threads, others hate the sports and and god forbid... some people hate the religious threads. (Nice pun huh? :ph34r:) No one is forcing anyone to read or reply to any thread. I only read about 5-6 threads out of Talkback anymore (unless its 2:30 in the morning and I can't sleep)since I just don't have any interst in a lot of the topics. Its the same with cable TV, 85 channels, and I only watch a dozen of them...

Things come and go on DZ.com. In my 3 years here I've seen lots of people and topics come and go... Soon it will be time for another round of Cypres, RSL, 7 vs 9 cell, and best container debates. Join those... they never change peoples minds either.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

LOL at phree and the cypres CYCLE comment!

the political /religious stuff I stay away from b/c there (IMHO) is no way to express ones view in words unless you got the time to type a book!

ANY little comment will be misconstrued, or even taken the wrong way ( HAHA pun intended)

I like reading some of them sometimes but I admit I get heated up sometimes! LOL
My photos

My Videos

As a South African who has experienced enormous political turmoil and who lives in what is now virtually a one-party state, I must confess that I am fascinated by the political threads. I never take part in them simply because I am too ignorant and wouldn't presume to have any constructive input to give about another country's politics. However, I am a keen observer and I have learnt a lot by following these threads. I am very impressed by the knowledge and eloquence of some of the more regular participants in these threads - Bill von, Wendy and John Kallend come immediately to mind. I am on the other hand often appalled at the xenophobia, intolerance and war-mongering I sometimes encounter here , but that in turn re-inforces my admiration for what is true freedom of expression.
I doubt that this is the 'purpose of the politcal threads', but I for one am of the opinion that they have real value.

I stay away from them now - it's just a waste of time (pig-wrestling)...:o

:D
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

It's a release. People, to various degrees, have to express their views. It's a human requirement and to suppress it brings mental injury.

Ahh HAA! You're digging into my personal feelings about the futility of domestic debate here. And, for what it's worth, I completely agree. Nobody says "well, h'mmm, I guess you're right, I'm a dumbass." With that said, people will express their views in whatever medium they have available, like it or not. With the Korean crisis now taking the front of American discourse despite the unresolved Iraq situation, we will see more of the same.

EDIT: This post was broght to you by Jack Daniels - committed to proving that intoxicated Minnesotan ignorant fuckheads can sound like they know what the hell they are talking about. Go Duluth!!!!

I am on the other hand often appalled at the xenophobia, intolerance and war-mongering I sometimes encounter here

Dont worry be happy....

Don't you see we are on a roll.. WW III has already started and its US OR THEM....even right here in this country... ONly the GOOD Conservatives.. can protect us from the evil satanistic terrorists and lefty liberals who are lurking everywhere. And we have our Defender of the Faith to Lead us thru this time of Turmoil till Armegeddon happens and we will all be saved... well at least IF you share thier political/moral values.

All others who do not believe in this brand of fundamentalism are the spawn of Satan.
http://www.historynewsnetwork.org/articles/article.html?id=428

Jeanne

- Bill von, Wendy and John Kallend come immediately to mind.

I'm hurt...I've always enjoyed sparring with them. :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I never take part in them simply because I am too ignorant and wouldn't presume to have any constructive input to give about another country's politics.

It doesn't stop Juansky, (BOOM BOOM):D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

- Bill von, Wendy and John Kallend come immediately to mind.

I'm hurt...I've always enjoyed sparring with them. :P

Indeed. My apologies. I have been following your arguments in the 'Holy war' thread with interest. It would help if some of your sparring partners in that thread had some substance to them, eh?

I tend to avoid the 'domestic' debates, eg will Arnie make a good governor? type stuff...
I do like to hear what like minded ordinary people from different regions and cultures have to say about global issues though, it helps me form balanced considered opinions....
"it's because I hate the fucking Yankees"
Ya fuckin' redneck...;)B|

Joking aside, we are from all points around the globe, its good for us to talk, regardless of our own standpoint.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

What's the purpose of the political threads?

[sarcasm]

Why, that's easy to answer Chris. It helps clearly illustrate the vast intellectual superiority of liberal thinkers. Knowing how much smarter and wiser we are just gives us this big warm and fuzzy feeling, kind of like seeing metaphorical boobies when there are no real ones there. It just makes you feel good, gloating over the poor, hapless conservatives.

[/sarcasm]

;)

Probably not. Have people moderated their views, learned something new, or learned how to respect the other side? Most definitely.

One at a time, but it still helps.

Oh -- and while I haven't "jumped to the other side," I have moderated some views myself. By understanding the opposition, you learn more, and can have a much fuller picture. I really appreciate that. Not to mention that if you can learn to respect someone you disagree with, and treat them respectfully, then you have a much better discussion.

I like the fact that no one ever interrupts me when I'm composing my thoughts. They might ignore them, but at least I get to finish what I'm saying.

What I really loathe are the sotto-voce "conversations" that some folks like to have on-forum. It's chickenshit.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well, I did moderate some views -- I've learned that Gawain and Michele can spell, which completely ruins my preconception that conservatives can't write :):P:ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Join those... they never change peoples minds either.

One particular RSL thread changed my mind about having one on my rig. ;)B|

Isn't about time for another legalize drugs argument. That one usually comes up shortly after a good gun control argument.:ph34r:

That's really cool Erroll. I hadn't thought about that aspect of the political threads; that they might be enlightening, or at the very least, interesting to people who have a very different type of political climate where they live. I personally feel the same as you, too ignorant of politics in general even though I live in the US to feel comfortable debating in them because I try not to argue about something unless I'm certain or feel strongly about it. I'm with you, however, on the general feeling of disappointment when a healthy debate turns personal or hateful. That's another reason I generally don't pay much attention to the political or religios threads. My mom always taught me that you never talk about politics and religion with friends if you want to remain friends :D

Pammi

Although i have not participated in any religous or political threads, I have read many of them over the last year!!>:(

I haven't changed any of my opinions/beliefs, but I have learned to accept the beliefs of others (even if i know that they are wrong!!! only joking).;);) I've found that even though i am so very much different from most skydivers, I have found them to be one of the most accepting group of people that i have ever met!!!:)