rgoper

Remarks That Make You Go HMMMMM......

start with the first post, it's the most profound. does the author have some merit here? thought provoking to say the least.

It's incredibly non-thought-provoking and almost as profound as cold rice pudding. The same 5 people say the same things at least once every 3 months about Dropzone.com on rec.skydiving.

rec.skydiving total number of messages for October (mailgate.org) = 2,862
Dropzone.com messages in the last month = 47,239

Must be because we don't "get" it. I guess it's kinda lonely in the saddle since the horse died. ;)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

I never read rec unless someone posts a link here on dzcom. Too much negativity there. I'll just stick with wasting bandwidth here at home. :)
HH, have i told you lately that i LOVE you for creating this place??

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I noticed a nickname from REC for the 1st time on here yesterday, I hope that person doesn't start posting here like they do on REC, their posts there are abusive and negative>:(
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I guess it's kinda lonely in the saddle since the horse died.

Oh my word, that was so funny it hurt. Of course, right now, laughing hard makes the stitches poke, but still. That was worth it.

Richard, I understand what you're trying to get at, but I wholeheartedly disagree. If they don't like the culture here, they are welcome to not post. What I find fascinating is, in a post on rec.dot which bitches about the demise of it's own self, and crying about how no-one posts about skydiving anymore, it's all about this site. I just found it rather sad. Brings to mind a quote of Deuces that I recall well..."people perceive change as death".

I think the thread should be titled something like "things that make you go hmmmm...or not....".

Ah well, they can post there, in their style, or they can come here, and post in ours. Frankly, I've never posted there...and don't believe I will start.

Keep it rawking on, HH...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I hope that person doesn't start posting here like they do on REC, their posts there are abusive and negative.

This is a different place.

Treat them as you would like to be treated and see what happens.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Ya know, this is the one thing that really pisses me off about our sport. There are so many backstabber jumpers out there, it's unreal. Too many times have I seen people be nice to someone's face and then totally destroy them behind their backs. I realize that this is the way the world works, but damnit, we're SKYDIVERS, we're supposed to be a family, right??? I'm so tired of people coming up to me and being fine, then looking over my shoulder and hearing them talk shit. That's the big problem with jumpers, and that's what this case is. Just had to throw in my $.02, thanks.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

LOL!

"It's over-moderated." "It has tons of noise." "They wouldn't let me say anything I wanted like here on wreckdot."

Obviously thier system (anarchy) doesn't work as well. WHAAAAAAA!:P Don't like DZ.com? Fine, don't play. Can't play within the rules? Fine don't play.;)

Derek

As a UK skydiver - who's never heard of rec anyway, it was quite exciting to think there's a uk equivalent of this - the only thing I don't like about dropzone.com is that alot of the posters know eachother and have a lot of personal jokes going on - whereas I've met two people who I've seen posting here.
I won't defend rec - because my computer won't actually let me on anyway - something about cookies - what! so I don't know what I'd be defending
But in skydiving circles world wide (ok europe and america - haven't skydived elsewhere) there is a surprising level of bitching and back stabbing
the way forward - are those guys who just rock up and don't give a shit about the politics and the bitching, and just jump :)

start with the first post, it's the most profound. does the author have some merit here?

this statement was made in an inquisitive mode. i neither endorsed or criticized the author.

thought provoking to say the least.

this remark is what it is, the post, and thread struck me as thought provoking, meaning it made me think. i don't post at the wreck, rec, or whatever, and i dont know this martin fella either.

Richard, I understand what you're trying to get at, but I wholeheartedly disagree

with all due respect i think it ( my post ) was totally missunderstood by everyone, including Sangiro, as i said, i didn't endorse anything.

If they don't like the culture here, they are welcome to not to post

agreed 100%. i think everyone here knows that if i totally agreed with what was posted at that sight, i would have come right out and said it, i'm not one to beat around the bush as it were, and i'm not intimidated or deterred by sanctions from the administration here on dz.com. i guess i should apologize for having a backbone? NOT! :)
By the way, i heard you had some surgery, hope you heal well and in a speedy manner. Take care.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Yes, I had surgery, and yes, recovery is going well. What sucks is that it's not yet over, but oh well. The inside of my house is getting really boring! LOL!

Like I said, I understand what you were getting at with the posting - nothing wrong with sharing differing views, and I agree, you would say you agree if you did. I just happen to disagree with the post in whole, and especially the issues of the mourning of the demise of rec.dot.

What I find interesting is where did all the "regulars" go, if they liked it so much over there? Did they fall off the planet? Stop posting all together? Or just perhaps find a place which fits their needs better and allows them more freedom within a clear set of boundaries to discuss skydiving and/or whatever? Seeing how this place has grown, I would suspect a migration - but why? Why go to a place that's worse? Because perhaps it isn't worse - and in fact, it may be better.

For those who don't want to post here, it's all good. Let them post where they will...but here, in HH's house, there are rules and requirements. If they want to post here, abide by them. If not, there are other places to spend their time.

As to the backstabbing that others have brought up, yes, I see it too. But skydiving is not a special group - we have all kinds, from saints to murderers, straitlaced to absolutely bizarre. But that's what makes the world go 'round, and if someone shows their true colors, either by backstabbing or belittling, then know it for what it is, and change your friendships accordingly, and let those who give you grief fade into the sunset.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Its the "fastfood" generation Jan...they dont want to spend the time it took
for we older jumpers to really really learn the sport...they want it
all..........NOW.

Do a lot of the more experienced jumpers feel this way? If so, how are we (the inexperienced) supposed to learn. I myself want to but if ppl feel this way then they already have their minds made up about it.

>start with the first post, it's the most profound. does the author have
>some merit here?

About as much merit as the guy who goes to the Chinese restaraunt, bitches about how horrible and awful the food is - and then goes back week after week to get more.

here's a kick in his pants...I know jimbo. well Ill around the subject and say I see a little of what he means in some ppl. but I dont agree with it.

Some people are the 50 jump skygods....those are who I think he's referring to! (at least thats the type I am referring to)
shit I only got 300+ jumps I know I dont know everything but if I see something that I can help someone with I will speak up. if I have someone speak up to me then I will listen, even If I disagree...I still may learn something.

there are a few that Ive seen who cant take the responsibility for themselves/ make excuses for their mistakes instead of learning from them
My photos

My Videos

Do a lot of the more experienced jumpers feel this way?

I personnaly dont think its a problem with the new jumpers now. I havent been around for that long, but I would be very surprised if someone said that 100 jump skygods is a new thing. Maybe back in the 70s, it was 10 jump skygods, I dont know, but I'm sure there always has and always will be people jumping and talking past their skills.

Now (well, for the past 10 years), with the Net(tm Gore) those same people can offer unfounded advise or bitch about they backwoods cessna dzs more vocally.
Remster

with all due respect i think it ( my post ) was totally missunderstood by everyone, including Sangiro, as i said, i didn't endorse anything.

Where did I say you endorsed it? You making this up again?

i guess i should apologize for having a backbone?

What did you do that required a backbone? Posting a link to a forum where somebody says they don't like Dropzone.com? That hardly requires a backbone.

think everyone here knows that if i totally agreed with what was posted at that sight, i would have come right out and said it, i'm not one to beat around the bush as it were, and i'm not intimidated or deterred by sanctions from the administration here on dz.com.

Oh yes, everyone here knows where you come from.

As for being intimidated. Last weeek you made a post saying you were a "victim". Now you're not easily intimidated.

I expect you'll make a post that says "That was 2 years ago and I apologized and why do you hold it against me" The fact is, even though you apologized you've continued with that kind of behavior. It got you banned a few times, even after this post. You constantly verbally abuse people via PMs in exactly the same manner and style as what you did to me. You can whine about PMs not being private (and I know why you are concerned that people may share some of your PMs) as much as you want, but I am the person who people contact when you do this to them - and rightfully so.

Oh yes, if you're still uncertain about where I come from, read this post of mine from 2 years ago again, especially the part about not trying to please everyone...

Not to intimidate you but I'm slowly getting tired of your antics on here.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Not to intimidate you but I'm slowly getting tired of your antics on here.

Sangiro:

You done? I hope you draw the alloted amount of amusement from your obviously vindictive post "Dragging Up The Past"

It must be hard, knowing that the only real authority you have comes from a glorified chat room where you rule your kingdom from behind a keyboard.

Your attempts at embarrasing me, or making me feel belittled by posting what you did is inneffective from my viewpoint, after all, i knew it was just a matter of time before you did just what you did, now you can have your laughs and build up your popularity at my expense, just know, i don't care. you don't make, or cost me any money, and you can't stop me from sky diving, end game.

Take Care, and as always, have your fun, and best of luck in your future endeavours.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Aaah, now this post sounds a bit more like the one I linked again! (Just minus the "Job It Up You Fucking British Ass" part!) A leopard doesn't change its spots, but then you and I knew that already...

I'm off to build my "kingdom"!! B|
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Its the "fastfood" generation Jan...they dont want to spend the time it took
for we older jumpers to really really learn the sport...they want it
all..........NOW.

Do a lot of the more experienced jumpers feel this way? If so, how are we (the inexperienced) supposed to learn. I myself want to but if ppl feel this way then they already have their minds made up about it.

That statement ,was made by me ,about a totally unrelated subject...referring to new jumpers that know it all and wont take any help.
Anybody that has ever jumped with me knows that any information, about skydiving, that I can impart to them is theirs for the asking.
I love this sport and having been an instructor for 18+ years.......teaching skydiving is in my blood.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Anybody that has ever jumped with me knows that any information, about skydiving, that I can impart to them is theirs for the asking.

I can attest to this. Jim is a hell of a good guy, never judgemental, and always willing to help.

I mean, hell, he recognizes the changing times, and rolls along with the changes, hybrids, Paradise (dz.com), and all.

Ya just gotta be able to look past that Elvis wig. ;)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1