Nightingale

Are you certified?

Just had that brought up in our safety-meeting at work last week.
I'm gonna have to get mine re-current in cpr-first-aid and infant. And seek the PAD thing BillV mentioned.Company may seek a course..BUT I'll take it again before theyever will!
Gary

Anytime you need certified and i'm around, you know i'll take care of you bytch!! You gotta pay the silly processing fee to get your card though. I think it's like $8.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

On January 19, 1995 me and my partner were walking down Broadway and a 4 door Chevy Blazer crashed into a light pole right in front of us. We both kind of laughed, cause we both really enjoyed the weird things that happen in police work, and it was like "here we go again". So we jog up to the car expecting to find a drunk, and what we find is a dead woman.

She's still in her seat belt, but she has the congested purplish look of someone who has died of a massive heart attack. Usually people who die like this are found in bathrooms. Folks get to feeling really bad, and the place to sit down and rest is the bathroom, so folks go sit down to catch their breath a little bit, and they die.

But dead people can't drive, in my experience, so this lady had to have been breathing just moments ago. So we pull her out of the car, call for EMS, and lay her down on the sidewalk. I ask Dennis "you got your mask?" "No, uh, you?" "Nope, I'll do compressions" "OK" and I went about breaking all the womans ribs with gusto. You see, you aren't getting really good compressions if you aren't breaking ribs.

After about a minute and a half, you start getting really tired. After three, you really start to worry if you are going to be able to keep it up, and you really want to hear some sirens. At five, you feel like you've been running a marathon and the fire guys show up.

They hook this nice dead lady up to the EKG and she's flatline. "Clear" (foom!) (those portable people-zappers sound a lot like a big camera flash recycling) Nada. "Clear" (foom!) a pulse. The lady then projectile vomits and starts coughing. The paramedics congratulate you on breaking the ribs, cause that's what you gotta do to keep the blood moving. That makes you feel better, cause breaking them was very unpleasant.

I was surprised that a lot of firemen have never saved a life using CPR. You have to be right on top of somebody when they collapse for it to work.

Anyhow, the lady recovered without any brain damage and it's the only commendation I've kept from PO-leese career. That's how I know the date, cause that's the only one on the wall.

So learn it, refresh yourself on it, and don't be bashful about the compressions.

I'm CPR currently (about to lapse again :S), but I've had some weird ones a few years ago like Wilderness First Responder. That one focused a lot on stablizing and transporting critically injuried hikers when the transport distance was more then 2 hours by foot.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You see, you aren't getting really good compressions if you aren't breaking ribs.

When that part comes up in class it freaks people out. I love teaching the class. I like knowing i'm part of something that just might save somebody's life. My next scheduled class is Monday to teach Child/Infant CPR. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I'm certified in professional rescuer CPR and first aid. I was a lifeguard several years back, and keeping up the certifications seemed to be a good idea. My CPR mask lives in my glove box, and there's one on my dad's boat, and I have a pair of gloves in a film canister next to the mask.

Never had to use it. (knock on wood)

Had to use Heimlich a couple of times, tho. PLEASE, people, make sure you know heimlich. It only takes five minutes to learn, and could save a life.

Are you certified in CPR and/or first aid? Just curious.

yeah, been a firefighter/Paramedic since god was a kid and an instructor for all kinds of that firey/rescuey kinds of stuff (sound like I knows my stuff huh????!!!)

Skydiving isn't scary;...but clowns...CLOWNS are scary!

I'm a cardiac tech, however, my ACLS expired in may and I haven't been on a truck in a few months....still got the CPR cert current, as a few others.... school has kept me too busy to run anymore....but we'll get ACLS again next year on clinical rotations so that will be good.....

Am currently up to date on all my certifications and procedures. Kind of goes with my line of work. Trauma is my forte, especially bullet wounds and associated injuries. Sticks and rags is always a good one to be up on especially in skydiving where you see broken bones a lot. I had to gigle at Deuce's story, the part about "got your mask". Besides the obvious reasons for using a mask another one that I experienced once was a guy in a auto accident. He was thrown from the wreck and had sustained a facial laceration to his nose, IE: it was filleted open to the bone. There was going to be no nose pinching done on this one. Long story short, the guy ended up dieing but I learned the importance of having a mask handy.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING