jumperconway

ATTN: ALL TEXAS DRIVERS!!!

This just forwarded from a friend;

All,
>
>
>Let my misfortune be a lesson for you. This is a long story, but a must
>read. This really happened to me yesterday (12/10/03).
>
>
>
>Yesterday, I was driving into town along the Southwest Freeway around 12:30
>PM. I was in the far left lane doing the posted speed limit of 65 and going
>with the flow of traffic. When I got over the Bissonnett/Braeswood
>overpass, there was an HPD squad car parked on the left shoulder with the
>officer standing out in front of his vehicle pointing his radar gun at
>oncoming cars. Your inclination automatically tells you to slow down,
>whether you were speeding or not.
>
>
>
>Not a 1/2 mile down the freeway, there was another HPD officer that had
>someone pulled over on the left shoulder giving the person a ticket. I
>thought, man this was an obvious speed trap and kept on going. I had slowed
>down to around 60 at that point as now the posted speed limit was 60.
>
>
>
>About a mile up the road, around Gessner, another HPD officer had someone
>else pulled over to give them a ticket and literally in front of that
>traffic stop was another HPD officer (yes we are up to 4 cop cars now in
>about a mile) walking around to the front of his car. Just as I was
>approaching him, he pointed his radar gun at me and signaled for me to pull
>over. I was shocked, because I know that I was going the posted speed limit
>(60) as I immediately looked at my speedometer.
>
>
>
>The officer came to my window and said "do you know how fast you were
>going?" I said yes, I was going 60. He said "you were doing 58" and he
>showed me his radar gun, which read 58. I said okay. He said "you failed
>to slow your speed down by 20 MPH or move over to the adjacent lane when an
>emergency vehicle was stopped in the flow of traffic." I said, I did not
>know that was a law (of course that is never a defense) and he said it was
>and asked for my license. I offered that and my concealed handgun license
>to him (as I am required by law, being a CHL carrier), as well as the
>knowledge that I was carrying my pistol under the rear passenger seat. He
>never asked for my proof of insurance, which I thought was odd. The officer
>(not really what I want to call him at this point) wrote me a ticket that
>carries a $200 maximum fine for this infraction.
>
>
>
>Come to find out, this is a new state law as of September 1, 2003. From the
>TX DPS website, the law reads:
>
> a.. SB 193 requires drivers nearing a stopped emergency vehicle that has
>lights activated, unless otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer,
>to:
> a.. Vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle, if the highway has
>two or more lanes traveling the direction of the emergency vehicle; or
> a.. Slow to a speed not more than 20 miles per hour (mph) less than the
>posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 mph or more; or
> a.. Slow to a speed not more than five mph when the posted speed limit
>is less than 25 mph.
> a.. A violation is a punishable by a maximum fine of $200. If the
>violation results in property damage, the maximum fine increases to $500. If
>the violation results in bodily injury, the offense is enhanced to a Class B
>misdemeanor.
>Yes, I got a ticket for going less than the posted speed limit for this
>total and obvious BS law that no one knows about and it was an obvious set
>up by HPD.
>
>I have a couple of questions. Since when is writing a ticket an emergency?
>and Doesn't the ticketing officer have an obligation to pull the driver off
>the roadway into a safe environment. The shoulder of a major traveled
>freeway is not what I would call safe.

Maybe TxBlkBear can verify this?

I find it interesting that you are not aware of this law.
It has been on the national news as well as on the local news.
In fact, I was getting rather tired of hearing about it.

The reasons for it are pretty obvious:
1) It allows for a wider range of motion if a situation arises that the officer has to move quickly to avoid injury. (It would suck to have a knife pulled on you , and as you jump back and away, find out that a car is going to run you down.)
2) Makes it safer for all those stupid assed rubber neckers that want to see whats going on rather than keep thier "Curioous George" eyes on the road they are driving on.
3)Brings in a lot of revenue to the state so that we can keep on killing these ass holes that deserve to die.

Yep, that about covers it.

[Singing] . . .the Yellow Rose of Texas . . .[/singing]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

yup, what turtlespeed said..

In fact I thought it was law long before 9/03. Perhaps TX was just slower putting it into effect.

sucks, but I guess it's for the grater good. then again i think there should be NO SPEED LIMITS anywhere (execpt strictly residential streets). Go as fast as the lights or the car in front of you will allow.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Consider yourselves lucky. We Brits have to suffer speed cameras. The police justify them on safety grounds but site them on fast straight (safe) roads where they know they can raise money. When you try to report a driving incident to them they are not interested as there is no money in that.
One speed camera has reaised over £1 million so far and encouraged the public to regard the police as incapable and inept in all other departments.
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

I find it interesting that you are not aware of this law.
It has been on the national news as well as on the local news.
In fact, I was getting rather tired of hearing about it.

I don't disagree with the logic of it and to my ignorance I don't see the news a lot. I have always given a lane of respect to anyone pulled off the road, not just police but was totally unaware of the requirement to slow down was a law! And as it was used here as a speed trap, go figure!:S

I'm 99% sure it is the law in IL... just no one seems to bother. I actually think it's pretty much all accross teh country by this time.

I grew up w/ truck driving partents & they taught me to always give a lane, but it's not always possible. Not till I had to change a tire on the same side as traffic flying by on the innerstate did I realize the value of space or slower speeds.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

I'll be driving thru Texas to Fla. and back in a couple weeks. I saw the part of the law about video equipment. Does that include dash or window mounted GPS systems?
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

There's a similar law that was passed in Florida that went into effect a couple months ago.....but, IIRC, it states that you must move to another lane away from the vehicle or slow down TO 20mph. Not slow 20mph below the speed limit, but TO that speed.

Mike

As for: "Ignorance of the Law is no excuse"...name one person who is aware of every law that applies to him/her in his/her daily life. (Hint: If you name one, you're lying.)

Such laws should be made public without the need for a staff of researchers to keep you up to date. Thankfully, some States are conscientious and courteous enough to post these types of changes on road signs. But then everyone knows how screwy Texas is when it comes to law enforcement. :P

FallRate

I have a lawyer I use for all my traffic tickets here in Houston. Every ticket I have received in the five years, I have walked. I would fight this one for sure. Its funny to walk out of the court room laughing your ass off. This is a fucking bullshit law........I would be so pissed. PM if you want his name and number.......With the car I drive I keep him pretty busy.

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227

Such laws should be made public without the need for a staff of researchers to keep you up to date. Thankfully, some States are conscientious and courteous enough to post these types of changes on road signs. But then everyone knows how screwy Texas is when it comes to law enforcement.

They're all a matter of public record.You can easily look them up or learn about newly passed laws after each legislative session.If all else fails, read/watch the news for crying out loud.Its your job as a citizen to know the laws of your state.If you don't care enough to learn them,then don't whine when you get cited for breaking them.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

As a Trooper I think this is a great law. The general public may not know that many officers and citizens get killed on the road every year because a driver did not use COMMON COURTESY and move over.

It just makes sense.

It's not only for the officers safety either, its for the safety of the public. I pull over people all the time that are scared to move their vehicle all the way to the right. Or people who pull to the LEFT!

It seems as though people loose their minds when they see lights behind them.

Does anyone know what you should do when you see an emergency vehicle lit up behind you?

I get sick and tired of people pulling over and giving me 12 inches between the drivers door and the line. Then here comes Joe Dumb ass who's worried about getting stopped and us finding that roach in the ashtray..... so instead of paying attention to the road he's trying to dump his ashtray under his seat or here in TEXAS shove that beer under the seat.

Thats when Joe Dumb ass drifts over just a little and kills me, or kills the customer I just stopped because he's pissed he got pulled over and or doesn't want me to see the beer in his front seat so he jumps out of the car to run back and ask me why the hell I pulled him over.

Look, Don't take this personal. We spend thousands of dollars trying to get the word out. I wish the media would do this for free but they don't.

I can't speak for the Officer that gave you the ticket. All I can say is they must have had trouble with people catching on to the new law and decided to do their own media campaign by word of mouth.

It's working.[:/]

In this case maybe you could have gotten a warning. It all depends on many factors.

Maybe some jerk before you got stopped laughed in the officers face and told him that he was full of shit and he could do what he wanted cause he had a high speed lawyer that was doing to get him out of it anyway. HE MAY HAVE WENT ON TO SAY HOW HIS LAWYER HAS ALWAYS GOTTEN HIM OFF. This kind of thing just makes the normal officer pissed the rest of the day. Where he had been giving warnings all day, he now says the hell with this shit, everybody is getting a ticket now.>:(

Not fair I know, but Cops are people too.

Anyway, sorry to here you got a ticket.

Blue Skies.

Airborne!

It is a safety margin for the officer and driver stopped. You never seen those videos where a cop had someone pulled over and a car rammed into him. It has to do with the lights alot at night "target fixation" will make you drive into the lights and hit the car if you are not alert. As far as your ticket goes if you have not went to court yet I doubt that the DA will prosecute that ticket. You might get lucky.

My friend,
I am your favorite customer! I will pull as far off of the road as I can and have everthing in my hand when you get to my car with both hands on the wheel! I have a lifetime 100 club sticker in my back window! That all seems to buy me $0 when it comes to tickets although I haven't had any in years. If you didn't understand my post ,I did this before the law, always giving space! It's called respect for whom ever is pulled over!

Exactly, Conway. It's called courtesy.

I always pull all the way over, roll down both windows (I have tint), and by the time the officer walks up my wallet & keys are sitting on the dash with my hands on the wheel.

One officer was so impressed he just looked at me & said, "Get back on the road & slow down."B|
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™