Hellis

Does this look dangerous?

Ok, first off: im serious.

I have no intention of freeflying it anything like that, just a few hop n pops.

Would you think this looks unsafe for a hop n pop?

I know the riser are not connected to the harness and the packing clamp and so on. But with a longer loop, what do you think?

I'd rent a bigger student container and put that BASE canopy in that. Then you can track it, hop&pop without worrying it will prematurely "escape" and wraps around the tail possibly killing all aboard the aircraft.

I would personally NOT jump it. It shouldn't be hard to rent a student container for that increased safety and/or piece of mind.

edited to add: using big student container is what I've been using with my BASE canopy

Yes its a FLiK 266.
I think i can borrow a student rig. Or just a large rig from some other jumper.
The rig on the picture is a Javelin sized for a 150, so i guess a 190+ would make it safer or at least much better.

Hmm. Direct bag, could work but i dont know. The plane that will be used is either a C182 or a C207.
The 182 is not ideal as i would have to walk out on the wheel when someone holds the bag.
The 207, i have not jumped it yet, but doesnt that plane have a low stabilizer? That and a rear cargo door.

I think i will find a rig i can borrow or rent.

I was just wondering because if i should use my own rig i would have to buy minirisers.

Thanks for all the help :)

You need to be more specific about the intended condition of that rig when you jump.

Sorry John i dont understand your question or statement.

Is your photo simply to point out the long reach of the closing loop?
Or do you intend to jump that as-is without closing the flaps?

No, i used a pull-up cord to close it, as you can see the loop ends about in the middle of the canopy.

But yes the question was if it could be jumped as on the picture but with a longer closing loop.
If i could close the flaps i would :$;)

I could perhaps make it a litle better by placing more of the canopy higher up which would help the lower flap.
And there was litle space left at the bottom of the container.
But i dont think any of it will make that much better that i would want to try it.

As i wrote earlier, i will use a different rig.

That packing clamp will fall off ;) Besides, if you close up your base container with a couple of packing clamps left inside, they sound really cool when they pop off. B|

Opps ... Always use a spotter when packing your base rig drunk.

Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

Uh, WTF is that? I would say, yeah, that looks dangerous. Don't let that out into the wind.

As other people suggested:

(Best) 1. Find a big student rig. That's what I did to skydive my base canopy.

(Next best)2. Direct bag it.

(Getin' sketchy)3. Walmart bag it. I've seen it done.

(Death trap)4. Jump it all bundled up like you have it and try not to get Munsoned in the process.

If your DZO won't let you borrow cheaply student or larger rigs, find your local old-skool flag and smoke demo jumper and borrow their rig. Normally a BASE canopy fits nicely in their rigs since they jump huge canopies.

Part of testing any canopy is having a realistic opening. In addition to safety of the rig, when the canopy fits, you can test your packjobs and techniques.

The short answer is "yes of course it looks dangerous". It may well be that it would work satisfactorily for a number of jumps, but sport skydivers today expect gear to be more reliable than a "well that should probably work" and any responsible drop zone operator would refuse to allow you to jump with it. On the plus side, kudos to you for asking advice. Later on you may be interested in becomming a test jumper or doing R&D at the cutting edge. If you do I positively guarantee that at some stage something that looks a lot less scary than that will frighten the wits out of you one day.

If you do I positively guarantee that at some stage something that looks a lot less scary than that will frighten the wits out of you one day.

I feel this is because you usually expect the less scary stuff to work and function properly. When it doesn't, it takes you by surprise. All of the scary stuff that I have tested has not been a big deal because if I thought something is off, I was ready and preparing for it beforehand. Plus, others catch on what I am thinking if I decide use one of the three parachute rigs.

To the OP, I have jumped a 425 sq ft parachute in a container made for a 190 by just using the top and bottom flap like you have somewhat shown in your photo because I needed to do it quick and didn't have a rig to house that parachute online at that time. It worked fine but was no way the smartest thing to do. I would not recommend doing it that way. I personally feel you only have two options available to you and they are listed in no particular order:

1) Get a larger rig where you can use the rig like it was intended to be used and in a safe manner.

2) Direct bag the canopy.

This is just my opinion based on personal experience.

I was just wondering because if i should use my own rig i would have to buy minirisers.

Thanks for all the help :)

Buy mini-risers.
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."