diablopilot

Handgun Owners:

Roger that. If you're comfortable and proficient with a single action auto, awesome.

I've put a lot of rounds downrange, but I don't regularly carry. And I haven't had to draw or handle my weapon under serious duress. I'm not sure that most people in general would have the skills to regularly handle a single action auto completely safely.

If you're comfortable with a SA auto, good on ya'. No "crunch tick" or "crunch crunch" for you. Me? I'm happy with a double action auto in condition 2.

B|

FunBobby

1911's are cool, Magnum P.I carried one and all, but the Glock is really a better carry pistol. I've put thousands and thousands of rounds downrange at advanced pistol courses, and my experience was that the Glocks could go all week without malfunction where everything else would start to go.

That said, if you get a 1911 type, the Para Ordnance pistols, unmodified, are very nice for the price. $600 or so and up.

http://www.paraord.com/pages/products.html

Nice call.

I currently own a pair of Para Ords.

A 1445 Ltd. in Stainless and a 1445 LDA Ltd. in Stainless.

The Ltds. come with most of the popular mods already done (match grade barrel, Ejection port, trigger etc.)

They are exceptionally accurate (too bad i'm not:o, but i'm working on it)

Their LDA (light double action) system is remarkable. Anyone that hgets the opportunity to test this marvellous piece of Canadian (D'oh, I shouldn't have said that ;)) techlology should try it.

Lou

9mm or .45 tough question. Hoenst ly it all boils down to situational need, and personal preference. I currently carry a kimber ultra carry series 2 with a 3 inch barrel in .45 cal. I have carried a glock in 9mm and 40, and a sig in 9mm. I prefer a single action 1911 style pistol. The kimber while a tad pricey is a fantastic weapon. The Para's are excellent as well although it is not a true single action or double action.
What are the reasons for carry? If it is purely for a home defense weapon then I would go with a 9mm...easier to maintain proficiency due to ammo being very cheap. If it is a gun that you will be carrying everyday and possibly taking into harms way then I would not go with anything but a .45 . It is a large slow moving round capable of doing horrific damage with a higher probability of a one shot stop. Additonally if you are going to carry for defensive purposes get a weapon that is not modified...ie trigger mods or compensators...modified weapons get closer scrutiny in the court case after a shooting. A good gunshop sales person can guide you in the right direction. Tell him/her everything you expect that you need it for and they can help point you to the weapon you need.
---you should seriously consider removing yourself from the gene pool---

If it is purely for a home defense weapon then I would go with a 9mm.

For straight up home defense, I still say you can't beat a good old fashioned side by side shotgun. It's simple, powerful, you can store it fully loaded and ready with all springs at rest, and there's not much as scary in life as having those two monstrous holes pointed in your direction.

I like on with truly exposed hammers, not just cocking levers. Go with a stock with a nice grip, not monte carlo, and 18 1/2 inches, or better yet about 12-14 inches with some choke [after a BATF license, of course]

Now that's a home defense weapon.

Or you can go another route: an 870, cut down to 10 inches, in ten gauge with pistol grip only. You can walk through a door holding the thing sideways. Not my personal choice, but I know of one with three crimes halted, two felons captured, and one scumbag down. That's a better record than some cops I know!
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

The Para's are excellent as well although it is not a true single action or double action.

In what ways aren't Paras single or (LDAs) double action?
Lou

If it is purely for a home defense weapon then I would go with a 9mm...easier to maintain proficiency due to ammo being very cheap.

But then there's the issue of over-penetration. That's one of the reasons I prefer .45 - because the round is significantly slower, so it won't over-penetrate as much if you miss your target and hit something else. It would suck to have a round go through a wall and kill somebody outside or in the next house/apartment..

Mike

The Para's are excellent as well although it is not a true single action or double action.

He's actually right, when talking about the LDA's. They are not straight single action, because the hammer is drawn back as you pull the trigger - then it falls. They are not straight double action, because you cannot pull the trigger repeatedly and have the hammer draw back and drop unless the slide cycles between trigger pulls. If it's a TRUE double action, and you have an empty chamber, you can pull the trigger as many times as you want and the hammer will cycle every time.

Of course, the original Para's are TRUE single action.

Mike

If it is purely for a home defense weapon then I would go with a 9mm...easier to maintain proficiency due to ammo being very cheap.

But then there's the issue of over-penetration. That's one of the reasons I prefer .45 - because the round is significantly slower, so it won't over-penetrate as much if you miss your target and hit something else. It would suck to have a round go through a wall and kill somebody outside or in the next house/apartment..

Mike

That's why I keep my .45 loaded with safety slugs (wad cutters). It limits my ability to shoot through a window or a door (though I usually have a clip of FMJ nearby), but I prefer that one minor limitation to having to tell a judge how I shot through the bad guy, two inches of sheetrock, and a four year old kid.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

It was kind of explained here.

OK, single action you have to cock the hammer before it can fire (thumb or racking the slide). Double Action you pull the trigger and it cocks the hammer each and every time, and you can do it again and again. DA/SA just add the ability to cock the hammer with every pull, but the gun functions as single action after the first shot until it is decocked.

The thing with glocks and LDAs is that you don't cock the hammer, so they aren't single action, but you can't repeatedly pull the trigger and have it cock the hammer for you. Glocks don't even really have a hammer, they have a striker similar to many rifles. LDAs have a hammer, but you don't cock it. Originanl Paras, like you said, are single action.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

That's why I keep my .45 loaded with safety slugs (wad cutters). It limits my ability to shoot through a window or a door (though I usually have a clip of FMJ nearby), but I prefer that one minor limitation to having to tell a judge how I shot through the bad guy, two inches of sheetrock, and a four year old kid.

Yet another reason why it's not a bad idea to condsider frangible rounds if you decide on a handgun or rifle/carbine for home protection. You may have to consider that they pattern differently from your other ammunition, but at home defense distances that is hardly going to make much difference either way.
witty subliminal message
1*

Yet another reason why it's not a bad idea to condsider frangible rounds

IMO frangible rounds are more a pain in the ass then they are worth. We have had so many issues with them that we actually had barrels, weapons that the only thing we put through them was frang becasue of the wear they caused on the weapons. Granted, we put more rounds down range than an average shooter or some one who just has a mag set aside for home defense. I won't shoot it out of my personal weapon period, even just plinking as I have seen the wear and tear it can cause as well as general ammo issues like accuracy and flyers.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

IMO frangible rounds are more a pain in the ass then they are worth...

I've never specifically kept anything other than some sort of shotgun for my place. Also, I've never really had any use for frangible rounds so I've never seen their down side. It's enough for me to know that I have what I need when I need it.
witty subliminal message
1*

IMO frangible rounds are more a pain in the ass then they are worth. We have had so many issues with them ...

I build my own pistols so barrels are many (and quite often trash...) The only thing i shoot is 185 swc or 230 hardballs... no reason to ever load another bullet in my 1911's.

Anything else is unmatched... (185swc for accuracy/plinking or 230 hb for stopping -and nice ramp feeding).

and autos malfunction more than wheel guns, that's why i carry this size... and shoot often... I've never had a function on the first chambered round, and always strive to make that first round count.

Chris

i had nothing but problems with my p12 .45. i later found out that model was notorious for jamming. the place i bought it tried to tell me i was limpwristing. lmao. did everything possible, from trying different ammo to tuning the springs. nada. got rid of the fucker.
namaste, motherfucker.

Honestly, shoot both the .45 and the 9mm, and go with what suits you best. We have both. My husband prefers our Glock 9mm, but it just feels awkward in my hand somehow. I can hit what I'm aiming at but feel weird doing it. The .45 baby desert eagle just suits me better.

Though when I'm out and about on the rare instances that I do carry, it is my .357 S&W Scandium revolver. Love that gun. The rounds weigh more than the handgun. I forget I'm carrying it.

I have a .22 Ruger too, but that's just for shits and giggles, target shooting. I'm most accurate with that, but if I need to shoot a person/animal at 50 yards, I don't really need to shoot them at all.

Jen (Mrs. Chad)

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
Pelt Head #3

.40 is my fav...I have a nice Glock 27.

But for most carry issues I carry a Lady Smith .357. (Ya go ahead and laugh) Its perfect. It is small, light, DA only, and it has the reliability of being a revolver. (If ya need more than 5 shots...you are going into the wrong places to start.)

Its about function, not looking cool.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

:)
.22 LR.

Why?

I'm not big, it's hot here, ammo is super cheap, practice is fun, you can drive tacks with it and you'll always have a gun (although not much of one) when you need it. I know countless people who chastised me over my 20 years of full time carry, and when I asked them where their incredible .45's. 40's, 44 mags, 44 specials, 357's and 9's were, the answer was often an embarased "At home in the safe."

Like reserve canopies - many people tend to choose something small and light - without having the skill to back it up - but at least they have SOMETHING!

I carried a Mod 71 Beretta in .22LR for many years, put 50 000 plus rounds through it and got into a gunfight while working as a bouncer at a night club during an armed robbery attempt. Fired 2 shots, dropped 2 dudes. As this was going down, I was wishing for ANY of my other guns rather than the "Beretta than nothing" but it did it's job.

It's all about shot placement, I think.

I don't carry anymore. I don't work as a bouncer or a bodyguard anymore either. Havn't been shot at in a while now either.

It feels good not to be afraid.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

What's the blue paint for on the back of your handgun grip and in two places on your rifle?

It's tape. It's used to quickly ID who's gun and parts are who's. It makes it easier when your reconfiguring your weapon or cleaning parts.

Thanks for that answer. There must be a lot of similar firearms laying around in the same place for that to be of benefit.

I use a felt-tip marker to draw a colored line across the head of my reloaded rifle cartridges, so that when picking up brass after a stage of fire, I make sure I get my own brass back, and not someone else's of unknown heritage.

Most gun owners shoot a couple times a year on average.

Then they're a danger to themselves and everyone around them!

I hope you are saying that in jest.

Just because someone doesn't shoot every month, doesn't mean that they forget how to handle a firearm safely when they do.