diablopilot

Handgun Owners:

Go with Wilson Combat. You will pay, but there isn't a finer single action .45 auto out there.

the only thing i noticed between the wilson and the kimber is youll pay over 1000 more for the wilson and it shoots the same as the kimber.........

as for recoil, my .45 reloads i use for target/competetion, recoil less than the winchester 9mm 115gr i use in my walther p-99. they are plenty accurate and allow for extremely fast target reacquisition. they are pretty dead on a bit past 50 yards, but out at 100 yards, theyre dropping about 24 inches off sight.

There must be a lot of similar firearms laying around in the same place for that to be of benefit.

Well when you have an entire SOF-MOD kit plus additional accessories having even 2 guys with the same system makes it hard to differentiate if the item doesn't have a serial number or other way of telling Apples from Oranges. This is also true when you have more than one type of long gun/sub gun or pistols for your use.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I know a whole lot more about rifles than pistols. I've learned a lot just by reading these posts. But My personal favorite "Roscoe" is a 9MM. I know it's supposed to be underpowered, but I'd bet with the right load it would definitely put a bad guy down for keeps. I like the fact there isn't much recoil and you can get back on target quickly for a 2nd shot. I've never owned a 45, have shot a few, and suspect I'd like one well enough. My main gun for home defense is a 12 guage pump with a short barrel.

Fire-power is important, but I also agree with putting your shots where they count is more important. We had an instructor in the army who had recently returned from Vietnam. In training he told us a story of how his platoon jumped an armed enemy soldier who took off running with his weapon across an open area. The entire platoon openned up with full automatic on their M-16's. All were firing off hand. M-16's (back then) would keep firing on full auto for as long as you held your finger down. So rounds were flying everywhere without one hitting their target. Within seconds everyone was out of ammo and were in the process of reloading. The enemy soldier was still running, apparently unhurt. About then the platoon leader knelt down, took careful aim fired a couple rounds on semi, and brought the guy down. So I guess the moral of this story is that keeping a cool head and having the ability to shoot accurately is probably more important than fire-power.

But then again, what do I know. I've never been in a real home defense situation or firefight for that matter. I'd like to think I could keep my cool like John Wayne does. But who knows, I'd probably be screaming along with the rest of my family and have bullets and shot-gun BB's whizzing in all directions. In fact I'd probably have to go change my underware.

Is the 45 a better weapon for most defensive situations?...probably...But I still like my ole 9mm. I just like the feel of it, it's easy to shoot accurately, and I'd bet it would get the job done in most cases....Steve1

the only thing i noticed between the wilson and the kimber is youll pay over 1000 more for the wilson and it shoots the same as the kimber.........

Wanna know why? Wilson buys the frame and slide from Kimber. They use a different barrel, but at this point, if its not bench rested, it don't fucking matter.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I can tell you what NOT to buy. I carry a Sig Sauer P229(Sig .357 or necked down .40) for a living. Nice weapon but the caliber is what I don't like. Too much recoil! The ammo is expensive as well. A box of cheap stuff at the range goes for $14.95. Last training cycle I put three 6 round drills, in 3 differen't targets, with 3 mags(6 rounds per), in 11 point some seconds. Targets were FBI "qual" or "bottle" targets. However....I'm an above average shooter in a pool of above average shooters. So...not my pic for the average person to shoot. I have a Ruger P-94 DC (.40 S&W) that I love though. Nice gun but I haven't shot since I got this job. I have dedicated myself to what I carry.....since my life and many others depend on it.

Clay,
My brother uses 40 S&W for his law enforcement work in a Glock and loves it. Reloading can save quite a bit on ammo, but it's awful time consuming. I'm probably to meticulous in the way I try to get things too exact. I have dies to load 357, 9mm, and 38 special. But I hardly ever take the time to load up a box. There are ways to speed up this process though that I need to look into...Steve1