sangiro

VIRUS ALERT: Email account utilization warning.

Heya all,

If you get an email that seems to come from Dropzone.com like the one below, please delete it without opening the email or the attachment:

Dear user of Dropzone.com,

Your e-mail account will be disabled because of improper using in next
three days, if you are still wishing to use it, please, resign your
account information.

Advanced details can be found in attached file.

For security purposes the attached file is password protected. Password is "81328".

Cheers,
The Dropzone.com team
http://www.dropzone.com

The attachment (in my case called Documents.zip) contains the Win32.Beagle.J@mm virus. This email did not originate on the Dropzone.com servers nor did it come from our "team". There are a lot of pretty nasty viruses going around. Make sure your anti-virus software and definition files are up to date.

Oh yes, and your account is not going to be disabled either. :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Michele, I got one in my home e-mail as well. I didn't do anything with it yet, since I was heading out the door to work.
Thanks HH, I'll be sure to get rid of that nasty little bug once I get back home.
Now, how did they know to list my lanminds account on the e-mail, and your company on your e-mail and the dropzone.com account on that one?

Funny, the same password on the e-mail from HH as the one I have at home.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Poor baby, you really are out of it the last few days.

No, I got an e-mail from my internet provider at my home e-mail saying that my account would be shut down for two days because of some kind of upgrade. Didn't really read the whole thing, but there is a password that I need to use to redirect my mail. The password and the wording on my e-mail is the same as the one that HH posted. All but the name of the e-mail account.

Nothing from your work. It's all good.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Poor baby, you really are out of it the last few days.

Why, yes, yes I have been. :S:D

Thanks for the clarification. I was scratching my head trying to figure it out, but computer stuff is simply beyond me...even on my "bright" days. :o

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

So we can break forum rules and insult greenies without fear of reprisal?? MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Go ahead. But then we'll go around the country and give your name and phone number to every stripper we can find. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

So we can break forum rules and insult greenies without fear of reprisal?? MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Go ahead. But then we'll go around the country and give your name and phone number to every stripper we can find. ;)

Or better yet, we will give your e-mail address up for all the Pro Bush campaign web sites and news letters:P:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Well how about this? I keep getting returned email that I never sent out which I think someone is using my email as a return email. I have the IP address from the email but I cant figure out how to trace where its coming from.

Got one of those from my "Charter.net" address today. It contained a .zip file. I scanned the file, and it came back clean (it beat the virus updates). I still didn't run it. Instead I looked at the headers and saw it was mailed from a yahoo address (though that was probably spoofed too) and came from a non-existant ip address.

So, I instead forwarded the entire email, headers in a text file, to [email protected].

I got a VERY quick return "Thank You" email.

About 20 minutes later I had a virus def file update come through....

Just doin' my part! :)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Find out what ISP the IP belongs to. Go to command prompt: Start -> run:

In Windows 9x type 'command' and press enter
In Windows NT/XP type 'cmd' and press enter

Type 'ping' followed by a space, then the IP as it appears in the header. Ping.exe will try and resolve the host. Eg (made up):

dyn12-153-16-98.dsl.optonline.net

The domain is 'optonline.net'.

ppp15-3-167-4.dialup.tiscali.co.uk

The domain is 'tiscali.co.uk'.

Then take this address, add abuse@ to the front, and fire off an email, explaining the situation, including one or more example emails with all headers. They should be able to stop the user / terminate / suspend their account.. either way, it's worth a try!

Nick.

'buttplugs? where?' - geno

That was very stupid Andrea. I'm not really surprised...

(will that get my name and number to strippers????? lol):D;)
Remster

(will that get my name and number to strippers????? lol)

I'm not sure strippers like hairy man-boobies. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

(will that get my name and number to strippers????? lol)

I'm not sure strippers like hairy man-boobies. :P

Oh no! We got hairy man boobs in this thread too?

BTW, I received yet another e-mail with my account at home this morning. Did a virus scan, and I'm still clean:)

Hey, I just got a notice that said the same thing but from "team yahoo". What a bunch of crap. Also I have been getting return mail notices for mail I have never sent. (viruses) I wish I could choke these S.O.B.'s who try to screw up our accounts>:(

billy d------------------------- "Escape may be checked by water and land, but the air and the sky are free." (from the story of Daedalus and Icarus)

someone apparently wrote a simple version of this worm and since then we've been seeing all kinds of different variations on it. The only real difference being what efforts the author has gone through to make the e-mail look authentic to get you to click the attatchment.

The attatchment is always some executable file with an extension that most people wouldn't recognize to be executable (pif, scr, com) or a zip file that contains such a file. If you don't click the attatched file (which would run the program) you can simply delete the e-mail and be just fine.

With this latest rendition, I actually had a decent chuckle when I got e-mails from the "teams" of the two domains for which I'm the sole operator.

I wish I had a team, it would certainly make my life easier :(

I had the same problem with Dropzonejewelry.com email. I was thinking it was from my host at first, but it was signed the Dropzonejewelry.com team. What?! The team is me and Merrick! LOL! Thanks for the heads up!

Pammi

Well how about this? I keep getting returned email that I never sent out which I think someone is using my email as a return email. I have the IP address from the email but I cant figure out how to trace where its coming from.

Me too!!! Plus a lot more. I changed my email address to stop it and am more careful where I post the correct address.

Ed