Kramer

Skydivers And Marijuana

I smoke it and don't care who knows. I am a regular, not chronic user. It is cheap(I live in BC), plentiful, socially acceptable where I live, also among skydivers in general from what I have seen. You can be high and then not 2 hours later, not quite like alcohol. No hang over, and less physically damaging to your body. Oh, have I ever smoked and jumped, answer is no. I know lots do but not for me.

~Chachi

I smoke

But I don't even look at weed if I am jumping.
I don't smoke often, but I have been smoking a lot more lately.
Reason is I am in a new state, I have no one here, and it is too cold to jump.

Feel free to visit down south anytime man.B|

Never go to a DZ strip show.

Understandable. My paper is on Marijuana In Sports. Skydiving is just one of many sports.

Marijuana can help or hinder you during a sport. It all depends on the sport and of course the individual. Any sort of sport that requires peak heart and lung capacity (hockey is one which I am very active in), smoking pot before the game may not be the best thing to do. But in other sports where relaxation is key, pot isn't the evil thing some people make it out to be. Moderation is the key to anything in life. If you take something to the extreme, bad things can happen. If you're moderate with how you approach some of these vices, then good things can happen (my volleyball game has never been better thanks to some safety meetings between myself and some of my teammates).

For the record:

Do I smoke? Yes

Do I smoke everyday? No

Have I ever smoked everyday during a time period? Yes

Does marijuana harm myself? Long term effects say yes.

Does marijuana help myself? Depending on what I do, yes and no.

Do I jump high? No

Have I ever jumped high? No comment ...

Do I think that this thread is useless? Yes and no. If the originator of this thread is a greenie goodie two shoes who thinks that people who smoke are going to mess up and kill other people? Then yes this is a useless thread as this person needs to grow up and learn a thing or two about life and people you share it with. But no, if this person is honest about why they started the thread.

Do I care that I've publicly posted that you smoke? Nope ... life is too short to worry about how others judge you. You know they're going to judge you anyway. >:(

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

there is ALOT wrong with his methods, same thing that is wrong with all such polls, they DONT poll the target group, only the subset that is inclined to respond to polls.

is that sub group representative? statisticians assume so, but that does not make it so. What are you going to do have a poll to see who responds to polls? There is no control group to test the reliability of the data against. Other polls? Same issues

Uhm...evil self-titled "statisticians", maybe...

The reasons one would hire a proper statistician to do work like this instead of oneself are among the reasons you state. I think the phrase you're looking for is random sample.

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

would be nice, but this isnt a random sample.

he is asking about "skydivers" but what hes getting is

-registered (?) can guests vote? vistors to this website
-some of who are not actually skydivers
-who see this poll (time period, and also subject to a HUGE number of factors)l

-including an unknown and undeterminable % of deliberatly false answers

-are inclined to respond. (which is also why a poll is never a random sample unless your collecting data on the sub group that will respond to polls)

i'm sure there are many more influencing factors i'm completely unaware of, which of course will not (likely) be 'corrected' (assumed) as there really isnt any data to use to determine how far your results are off...how can you determine error when you dont know what your target is??

your going to compare these numbers with other polls??:S

I'm with you, man. I suspect there's not much practical to be gained from internet based polls due to the inherent risks...I just didn't like the slight against statisticians / -ics. It's like blaming cardiologists for heart disease.

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I don't do anything else. Hardly ever drink (if so, it's usually just wine (and an expensive one at that so I am not gulping it down). I'm in the gym more than anyone else that I know. The day smoking affects my ability to be athletic, I WILL QUIT. My guess is that this day WILL come, but it hasn't yet.

In my opinion, alcohol is a much more potent and harmful drug - physically and emotionally. I am sure that weed has a different affect for everyone. Like everything else, I will try to avoid using cheap (or unnatural - like hydro) stuff. If you have self-discipline and a sense of control while on it, I do not see the problem.

The fact that it isn't legal here blows my mind.

Granted, the stuff is illegal and this bothers me quite a bit.

However, after a stressful week you will NOT find me sitting at a bar contemplating my sorrows over a beer. It just isn't in my nature.

Instead, I'd rather just toke one out and create something by writing or drawing, talk to a friend about something deep, watch a movie from a different perspective, or have sex while on it (that is just the best if you ask me).

Pot just permits a MUCH more rewarding way to celebrate things. IMHO. -DC :)

The fact that it isn't legal here blows my mind. Granted, the stuff is illegal and this bothers me quite a bit.

Well, I'm tempted to jump in here with both feet, but I'm just going to dip my toe in by saying that I think it is stupid for it to remain illegal. We figured out the idiocy of prohibition, why can't figure this out? The fact remains, however, that it is illegal, and that leads to my moral objection to buying the stuff. It's kind of a boycott thing, really. The guy who sells you your weed, may be a great guy, but do you know the source. Pot, in and of itself, is pretty harmless, but the industry that sells it uses rape, murder, and torture as a cost of doing business. I am not exaggerating, or being melodramatic. It is truly an evil industry, and I choose not to give my money to murderers.

I smoked weed for a bit when I was a teenager, but never really liked it. I love beer though, but if the beer industry used rape, murder, and torture as a cost of doing business, I would say fuck them too, and would not buy the shit. Thank god that's not necessary.

My suggestion is this:
Long term- make it legal.
Short term- never buy it or sell it. Grow your own and roll your own. That way you will not be supporting a truly wicked industry.

Oops, looks like I slipped and fell right in.

I've been skydiving for a little while now. (About 4 years) I can't admit to anything because of my current employment but I can tell you this. I have had SEVERAL friends that smoke and then jump. It's like having lunch for them. It bugs me....period...and I have bitched at them incessantly. I don't drink and jump so I don't think they should smoke and jump. I like my friends....and I want them to stick around. I certainly don't want to be scraping them up off the DZ. I think the next person I see doing this will get a Brachial Stun and a general ass kicking. Save it for the bon fire please!!! [:/]

I love beer though, but if the beer industry used rape, murder, and torture as a cost of doing business, I would say fuck them too, and would not buy the shit. Thank god that's not necessary.

My suggestion is this:
Long term- make it legal.
Short term- never buy it or sell it. Grow your own and roll your own. That way you will not be supporting a truly wicked industry.

yea that way the government can really put you away for their witch hunt..:S

nope. sorry but if a law is wrong it is your moral/social obligation to break it and break it often, meekly complying to an unjust law is a far greater crime.

if there were profit in tiddly winks you can bet the thugs would be all over it, and if beer were illegal the same people would attempt to control it by any means necessary.... if you want to 'blame' someone for the 'evil' of the industry put it where it truly originates the government who supports the industry by keeping it illegal and creating a seller's market for it. Such shortsighted policies are far more responsible for the suffering of others at the hands of such ruthless bastards than anyone who buys and uses any illegal drug ever could....

nope. sorry but if a law is wrong it is your moral/social obligation to break it and break it often, meekly complying to an unjust law is a far greater crime.

We all make our individual choices about those things. I think speed limits are usually way too low, and I exceed them on a regular basis. I make the choice, and I'll pay the ticket when I get one. My point on the drug thing is not a legal or political one. It is a moral one. The root cause of the illegality is irrelevent. If I know that my money is going to line the pockets of habitual murderers, I will make the moral choice to not contribute to it. Beer, pot, wigits, it does not matter. I don't wear Nike tennis shoes either, I choose to not support a company that thought it is OK to make children work 12 hours per day for pennies, fuck them. Don't get me wrong, I think reefer is pretty harmless, but if you buy it or sell it at any level, you are feeding an evil monster. So grow your own, that's what I would do if I wanted to smoke it. You won't feed the monster, and you will be meeting your anarchist obligation too! It's all good.

anywhere u`ll find people who smoke
my answer is yes but (and here is a big but) NEVER NEVER when i`m out at the DZ
i have a question... why alchool is Ok at the DZ and ganja is not (EXCEPT THE LEGAL PART)
i think alchool it`s more dangerous than weed... but i saw people jumping after a beer 2,3,4,5...
as i said before i never smoke at the DZ but my question remain...
WHY alchool is OK at the DZ... and weed not

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

WHY alchool is OK at the DZ... and weed not

that would be the 'legal' thing again...I doubt most would care either way (so long as you werent UI while jumping, if it wouldnt cause legal problems they just dont need..

I will never understand why anyone would want to get high. I think it is a stupid waste of good jump money and a monumental waste of time and life.

I never have nor never will get high unless it is high up in the ozone where i can feel the earth rushing at me;).

We all make our individual choices about those things. I think speed limits are usually way too low, and I exceed them on a regular basis. I make the choice, and I'll pay the ticket when I get one. My point on the drug thing is not a legal or political one. It is a moral one. The root cause of the illegality is irrelevent. If I know that my money is going to line the pockets of habitual murderers, I will make the moral choice to not contribute to it. Beer, pot, wigits, it does not matter. I don't wear Nike tennis shoes either, I choose to not support a company that thought it is OK to make children work 12 hours per day for pennies, fuck them. Don't get me wrong, I think reefer is pretty harmless, but if you buy it or sell it at any level, you are feeding an evil monster. So grow your own, that's what I would do if I wanted to smoke it. You won't feed the monster, and you will be meeting your anarchist obligation too! It's all good.

Not to say that there aren't people who use the tactics you list in the marijuana industry, but it isn't as widespread as you make it out to be. Particularly if you're talking high quality weed, much of it is grown by pretty simple farmers in rural areas of Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia. I don't know how much rape and torture gets added in before you get to the average buyer but this isn't like a Columbian drug lord.

I will never understand why anyone would want to get high. I think it is a stupid waste of good jump money and a monumental waste of time and life.

Do you drink alcohol? If you do, then you do understand why someone would want to get high.

If you don't, then I'll STFU and go back to lurking this thread.;)

I never have nor never will get high unless it is high up in the ozone where i can feel the earth rushing at me;).

I respect this statement from you if you feel the same way about a little beer buzz, otherwise, it's bubkis.