Erroll

Invasion of Zimbabwe? Who would bother?

So cut us American civilians some motherfuckin' SLACK, okay?!

Where did I mention America or American civilians even once in my post?

You have an interesting way of trying to get your point across.

I guess I gave the unintentional impression that I was singling you out with my rather peremptory request. It was meant in general, to America-bashers.

My way of trying to get my point across tends to get more...interesting... the more heated I get about a subject. Sorry.

edit: Skreamer, looking back, I saw that I simply quoted your post, felt agreement with you, but then continued on to exhort the REST of the contributors to cut the slack I requested. It was not meant to be in reply to your post. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

So I give up. I guess it's a good thing that I'm not the one responsible for our foreign policy.

Jeffrey, your entire tone is abbrasive, your language is crass (to put it mildly), your arguments get lost in your tirades and you appear to lack the ability to respect anybody else's opinions but your own. I agree with you - it is a very good thing that you are not responsible for the foreign policy of your country.

Jeff, it OK. Whatever problem you have with the world, just let it out. Take off your pants, go streaking. It'll put colour in your cheeks. Maybe endulge in your secret coprophilic desires, or stop wearing womens underwear. It causes hives.

Pete
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

i wasn't going to say anything in this whole discussion but i had to take issue with this

There's no secret to living honest and peaceful lives that is being kept from their reach

Peacefulljeff, if you happen to know what this secret is and how it applies to international relations or domestic politics in third world nations then the rest of the world needs your help.
I got about as far as strong stable economy, no history of recent occupation or change in religious ideology, single dominant native ethnic group, nuclear weapons and realtime unbias mass media reporting before i gave up, i'd like to hear your thoughts.

Also as to what someone was saying earlier about the commonwealth i believe Zimbabwe was recently suspended, and news reports have said that the mercenaries were on their way to stage a coup in Ecuatorial Guinea, which is, you've guessed it, an oil rich country.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

So when the shit hits the fan, you won't be calling US for help!?! I'll bet you will.

Ummm....You MIGHT wanna check South Africa's military history. They HAD (Prior to Mandela) one of the FINEST militaries in the world. The SA military is one of the MAJOR reasons the US was able to "WIN" the cold war. If you study it a bit I think you'll find that they really don't need our help.

:)

"Most of us can read the writing on the wall; we just assume it's
addressed to someone else!" Ivern Ball

The state of affaires in Zimbabwe saddens me greatly. A good nation has been destroyed by a tyrannical dictator with no respect for the rule of law. He has set up a private army who carry out his edicts irrespective of the courts who have ruled them to be illegal. The legal institutions of the country continue to rule his actions unlawful despite the fact that as soon as a judge does so he “disappears” or is just plane executed. Hundreds of ex-pats live there and have had their land and their property stolen from them by armed gangs who rape and murder. I am surprised the western nations feel so happy about ignoring what is going on under Mugabe.

I think it's fair to ask you why "western nations" are to be expected to come in and take care of the problems that plague "non-western nations" like Zimbabwe.

"Feel so happy" about ignoring it? How about, "We have OUR problems to deal with, and why is it fair that we should have to solve YOUR problems TOO?" Who is coming over here to solve our unemployment, our racism, our inflation, our homelessness, our cancer, our AIDS, our ANYTHING?
-

Does that apply to Iraq too?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I was loathe to add anything to this thread but that was just too much, ROFL HA HA HA HA HA! :)
ps. I really liked your Perspective 2 thread bru, i like your attitude, it's far too rare in our beautiful country these days.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Does 'Selous scout for 16 years" get your attention.

I give respect where respect is due. ;) Maybe I can buy you a beer after a long day of jumping someday soon. B|

Assuming, of course, that it is due.

Many lay claim to the title "Selous Scout", but the actual number of operators was few, and they all know each other, just like the SEALS do.

The Selous Scouts "offically" ceased operations with the "end" of the guerilla campaigns in Rhodesia (the "Chimurenga" [1966-1980]) and the establishment of Zim. Please see "Pamwe Chete", by Lt Col Ron Reid-Daly.

That was almost 25 years ago.

Even somebody who enlisted in the Rhodesian military at 16 and served for 16 years (all through the UDI, it looks like, the the very end) would be about 65 now...

So it's either the truth or it's bogus. HH would probably be able to confirm Scratch's bona fides, but any time somebody claims to be an operator as part of a political or military thread or uses it as a credential, I am ALWAYS suspicious of its legitimacy. Most operators don't talk shop, any more than Clay (an operator of sorts in his own right) doesn't "talk shop".

However, the UDI and the anti-terror campaigns took place a long time ago, so maybe retired operators in a country that geographically doesn't exist anymore feel free to lay claim to the "operator" title for that land.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Udder, peacefuljeffery, cut it out. I deleted a whole chunk of posts; the next attacks will get people banned.

I was wondering when a Greenie would stop by! B|

And as for Mugabe, I want to know who shaved that beringei and taught him how to talk...:D

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

So it's either the truth or it's bogus. HH would probably be able to confirm Scratch's bona fides,

No Mark, I think there has been a bit of a misunderstanding - Scratch was referring to people he knows. The closest Andre (Scratch) gets to Special Ops is sniffing women's bicycle seats on a hot summer's day. B|

Oh ya, he also specializes in aquatic missions involving the water-tank and female students. :D

I have been blessed to travel to many places in my life. Where ever I have gone I have tried to look beyond the trendy touristy areas and avoid being part of the herd and to see the people there, to glimpse their land and culture. The diversity of peoples on this planet is truely amazing. Over the last 3 centuries many peoples have come to these shores. Some came willingly to excape oppression are religeous persecution, others came thru conscription or as a sentence or in the bellies of slave ships. America is not one culture but the blending of many. This land holds so much promise to so many but there some here who would deny that promise to others. Some would seek to turn inwards close the borders and stick their head in the sand. Unfortuneately that is not a solution. Constructive engagement in the world is the only way that peace may finally come to this planet. Bringing peace at the point of a technological spear does not lead to peace but to further conflict. Education to dispel the minions of ignorance and intolerance is needed not only in the world at large but here as well. Just think of the possibilities of a world that did not need to spend trillions of dollars to "protect" us from each other. I know that is terribly idealistic but until that happens it will only forster more of the attitudes of the "ugly-american" as evidenced in this thread.... for all the world to see.

Education doesn't do squat when a brutal tyrant orders someone to shoot a 9mm bullet into your head.

But I find it funny that this thread disolved into a flamefest because someone stated it wasn't the business of the US to get involved.

If we don't get involved, we're burying our heads in the sand.
If we do, we're nation building, killing babies, or whatever.

Oh, and when we finally DO get involved it's only because of self interests("blood for oil"), which to me is a duh-ism because frankly if we're going get our people killed or kill other people I'd sure as hell hope there was a good reason.

Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't, and if you finally do, you screwed up in how you did it.

Don't really matter much because this is all the opinion of a spoiled brat who's never had to live in a country where someone could order my death or rape my sister on a whim, so I don't really know what it's like or all about. Thank God.

Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't, and if you finally do, you screwed up in how you did it.

It always seems that people complain that nothing is being done. Then, when something is done, they complain that it was done wrong. The best part is when you ask them, "Well then how would you have done it?". You always get a lot of silence. They expect an outcome of perfection, but have no idea how that can be accomplished.

Assuming, of course, that it is due.

I let people say whatever they want. I run into many that are full of shit on a regular basis. It usually comes apparent quickly. ;)

Many lay claim to the title "Selous Scout", but the actual number of operators was few, and they all know each other, just like the SEALS do.

I wouldn't say that's totally true. That's a pretty darn big force these days. However, more often than not they do. I especially like to get people to tell a yarn about where they were or have been and then drop a name that they would HAVE to know if it was true. Funny to watch them squirm. Oh...BTW.....if you ever run into one of those "6 beer SEALs." There's some folks on the chat board at www.navyseals.com that will be MORE than happy to check records. ;)