Erroll

Invasion of Zimbabwe? Who would bother?

According to The Star :

SA-owned plane 'with mercenaries, weapons' held in Zim
March 9, 2004

By Basildon Peta and Peter Fabricius

The Zimbabwean government has seized a South African-owned Boeing 727 aircraft allegedly carrying 64 mercenaries and weapons. South Africans were reportedly among the mercenaries said to be on board.

Sources in the Zimbabwean government yesterday said the incident had heightened the government's fears of a "foreign-sponsored invasion of Zimbabwe".

The aircraft was impounded at Harare International Airport on Sunday night "after its owners had made a false declaration of its cargo and crew," said Home Affairs Minister Kembo Mohadi in a statement yesterday.

"The plane was actually carrying 64 suspected mercenaries of various nationalities."

Mohadi said an investigation had also uncovered military equipment.

The Zimbabwean government claimed the Boeing was US-registered. Reports from Harare say Zimbabwean state television footage showed the number N4610 on the side of the white aircraft.

US Federal Aviation Administration records show N4610 to be a 727 plane registered to Dodson Aviation Inc based in Ottawa, Kansas.

Last night Robert Dodson, owner and CEO of Dodson Aviation, confirmed his company had bought the aircraft from the US Air Force in 1985 and sold it last week to Logo Ltd, a South African company which he thought was based in Pretoria.

No trace of this company could be found last night.

Who would bother?

What, no oil there so no interest?

No oil (never had any), but also no more tobacco exports, no more beef exports, no more viable agriculture, inflation running at over 650% - not a lot to be interested in.:P

I think I read somewhere tht the guy running Zimbabwe is in the Top 10 Worst Dictators in the world.. those 64 guys on the plane are screwed.

you right about that. Mugabe (their "elected" president) has taken a country with 10% inflation a few years ago, to over 700% inflation, 80% unemployment, and more then half of the population will starve to death without emergency food aid.

MB 3528, RB 1182

not a lot to be interested in

What about the theft, rape and murder of the hundreds of farmers? The families driven from their homes? What about the high crime rates and corrupt establishment?

Nothing to be interested in commercially does not mean nothing to be interested in.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

not a lot to be interested in

What about the theft, rape and murder of the hundreds of farmers? The families driven from their homes? What about the high crime rates and corrupt establishment?

Nothing to be interested in commercially does not mean nothing to be interested in.

Jesus, man, there are literally HUNDREDS of places like that around the world. I'm not sure, but it seems that your implied comment here is that the U.S. should be spending the time, money and lives of its citizens to go around the world to every place where people are acting like fucking animals against each other and make them all behave and love each other. Why the hell should that be OUR responsibility? What, just because they're in Africa means that they themselves can't sort out their own shit -- it has to be some country like ours that has to friggin' babysit them?

I say let people in countries like that tear each other's throats out. There's no secret to living honest and peaceful lives that is being kept from their reach. They live like that because they're either ignorant or greedy or both, and living in shit is their reward.

But don't tell me that America is doing something wrong because we're not sending people and aid over there to straighten out these miserable countries. That ain't our fuckin' responsibility, and you can't help those who aren't willing to even accept it.
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I say let people in countries like that tear each other's throats out. There's no secret to living honest and peaceful lives that is being kept from their reach. They live like that because they're either ignorant or greedy or both, and living in shit is their reward.

But don't tell me that America is doing something wrong because we're not sending people and aid over there to straighten out these miserable countries. That ain't our fuckin' responsibility, and you can't help those who aren't willing to even accept it.
---Jeffrey

Yeah that kind of policy worked so well in Afghanistan after the Russians left.. Neglect led to such a wonderful place to breed the stuff that came home to roost on 9/11. The lesson was certainly not lost on the Taliban and Al Quada.

The world changed on that day. we can be proactive about changing the third world shitholes to come into the 21st century with a bit of help or they will continue to idealize the 7th century and wish to return everyone else there.

---Jeffrey

Yeah that kind of policy worked so well in Afghanistan after the Russians left.. Neglect led to such a wonderful place to breed the stuff that came home to roost on 9/11. The lesson was certainly not lost on the Taliban and Al Quada.

The world changed on that day. we can be proactive about changing the third world shitholes to come into the 21st century with a bit of help or they will continue to idealize the 7th century and wish to return everyone else there.

Oooh...poignant response from a woman who knows. I'd listen up here. :|

-But then Amazon is my idol and I was part of the 'new' army...I'd still tend to agree. :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Hear, hear.

Jeffrey, its a shame you don't live up to your name. :|
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((RIPPLE)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

GAWD DAYUM GIRL I miss you

Teehee!

Great to see you Jeanne, I've been watching ;) xxx
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

It must be great to live in a place where u can pretend that there is nothing past the shores of America. As long as it doesn't affect u directly, why should you give a shit?
I live in Africa. I’m proud to live in Africa. I don’t necessarily agree with the way some Africans live, but that’s not to say, there are some really awesome things happening here.
Trust me, none of us want America to “baby sit” us, and nobody ever said it was your responsibility. All I’m saying is don’t flame a place that u know fuck all about!

not jumping sux

I'm not sure, but it seems that your implied comment here is that the U.S. should be spending the time, money and lives of its citizens to go around the world to every place where people are acting like fucking animals against each other and make them all behave and love each other. Why the hell should that be OUR responsibility? What, just because they're in Africa means that they themselves can't sort out their own shit -- it has to be some country like ours that has to friggin' babysit them?

Whoa there tiger! 'Peaceful' Jeffrey!! He never said that you did have to send soldiers everywhere! There is a difference between maintaining an interest and sending the troops! Its just that people in most countries like to look beyond the borders of their own country.

As for the rest - isolationism never has worked for the USA so wake up and smell the roses. :o Someone wise once said "all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing" or words to that effect. It doesnt always require the use of force.:o

It only takes a few violent angry people to wreck a country. Just because there is trouble doesnt make them all guilty - I really dont think that this is a healthy attitude.>:(

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

The state of affaires in Zimbabwe saddens me greatly. A good nation has been destroyed by a tyrannical dictator with no respect for the rule of law. He has set up a private army who carry out his edicts irrespective of the courts who have ruled them to be illegal. The legal institutions of the country continue to rule his actions unlawful despite the fact that as soon as a judge does so he “disappears” or is just plane executed. Hundreds of ex-pats live there and have had their land and their property stolen from them by armed gangs who rape and murder. I am surprised the western nations feel so happy about ignoring what is going on under Mugabe.

Hear, hear.

Jeffrey, its a shame you don't live up to your name. :|

Really? Against whom have I done harm? I'd say I live a very peaceful life. And having a name like "Peacefuljeffrey" does not obligate me to BE my name any more than some others here, with names that imply they are dangerous skydivers or just incompetent ones. Some names imply that the bearers are some sort of animal. Why do you feel it's reasonable to say, "Oh, Jeffrey calls himself 'Peacefuljeffrey' so he'd better be like Gandhi or else he's a liar"?

My mom gave me a bookmark that had the origin of the name "Jeffrey." It meant, in Old French, "Heavenly peace: blessed one." I really liked knowing that, knowing that my name means "peace." Does that mean I'm always peaceful? Hell no. Why? Because I'm always human.

Now, I have to disagree with people whose implication is that the U.S. is NOT expected to be the policeman of the world. We spend BILLIONS of dollars all around the world, sending aid that is financial, medical, educational, military -- you name it. THERE IS NO OTHER COUNTRY THAT GIVES AWAY SO MUCH. NOT A SINGLE ONE CAN AND NOT A SINGLE ONE DOES. If you believe otherwise, name the country.

It's very easy to point a finger at the U.S. and say cynically that all we do is go to countries where we can get oil, and then pretend it's about national security or human rights. Why then do we still have "peacekeepers" in Bosnia? Why then did we have marines die in Somalia?

All I'm saying is that there appear to be parts of the world where people are not acting like they're very far above animals. They favor some odd-ass thinking over reason and education, they seem far more eager to adhere to ritualistic and dogmatic and superstitious thinking than to accept what we might teach them, and they use violence as a FIRST resort rather than a LAST one. When was the last time we in the U.S. had a bloody violent riot as a result of a contested election? On the other hand, we read about these in foreign countries daily. I can tell you that from my perspective, it is very easy to say, "Why the hell don't these people just GET it?!" It's frustrating and disconcerting. I even read that in some parts of Africa, men infected with AIDS believe that they can be cured if they have sex with a virgin! (That was reported in a newspaper I read here.)

I dunno. Yes, I can sound like a hothead but that's not how people who know me know me to be. I'm just viewing the world in a frustrated way lately, because it's pretty easy to see nothing but corruption, lies, hate and violence.
-Jeffrey

I am surprised the western nations feel so happy about ignoring what is going on under Mugabe.

No Oil. I'm not surprised. If they had oil, you wouldn't be able to keep the fuckers out.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

The state of affaires in Zimbabwe saddens me greatly. A good nation has been destroyed by a tyrannical dictator with no respect for the rule of law. He has set up a private army who carry out his edicts irrespective of the courts who have ruled them to be illegal. The legal institutions of the country continue to rule his actions unlawful despite the fact that as soon as a judge does so he “disappears” or is just plane executed. Hundreds of ex-pats live there and have had their land and their property stolen from them by armed gangs who rape and murder. I am surprised the western nations feel so happy about ignoring what is going on under Mugabe.

I think it's fair to ask you why "western nations" are to be expected to come in and take care of the problems that plague "non-western nations" like Zimbabwe.

"Feel so happy" about ignoring it? How about, "We have OUR problems to deal with, and why is it fair that we should have to solve YOUR problems TOO?" Who is coming over here to solve our unemployment, our racism, our inflation, our homelessness, our cancer, our AIDS, our ANYTHING?
-
-Jeffrey

I am surprised the western nations feel so happy about ignoring what is going on under Mugabe.

No Oil. I'm not surprised. If they had oil, you wouldn't be able to keep the fuckers out.

t

That's just idiotic. There are load of countries WITH oil. Are you suggesting that we secretly own those countries? Saudi Arabia is a U.S. territory? Maybe it's just that some countries have their shit together more than others. It's already been disclosed that the operations in Iraq have cost far more than the oil proceeds we will get out of it for many years. Somehow that still sits as "we did it for oil" with you, huh? There are loads of other places we've sent our help that have nothing to do with oil. Was there oil to be had in Bosnia? Somalia?
Much easier to criticize without a valid reason, I guess. Less of a burdern of actually havi ng a rational basis, right?
-
-Jeffrey

Was there oil to be had in Bosnia? Somalia?

No. In both Bosnia and Somalia the US was part of a UN force.

It's when the US goes against UN procedure and invades sovereign states (Granada, Iraq, Haiti etc) that I comment on it. The US is currently involved in a World War. It's fighting everywhere. 40% of the world arms budget is spent by the US. There's a problem there.

t
It's the year of the Pig.