Erroll

Invasion of Zimbabwe? Who would bother?

Well in this instance it really can be said to be Britain’s business. It’s a pity this government has not taken a firmer stance on the issue now and in the past before things deteriorated into the current sorry state. Its nothing to do with the US and should remain so.

I am surprised the western nations feel so happy about ignoring what is going on under Mugabe.

No Oil. I'm not surprised. If they had oil, you wouldn't be able to keep the fuckers out.

t

That's just idiotic. There are load of countries WITH oil. Are you suggesting that we secretly own those countries? Saudi Arabia is a U.S. territory? Maybe it's just that some countries have their shit together more than others. It's already been disclosed that the operations in Iraq have cost far more than the oil proceeds we will get out of it for many years. Somehow that still sits as "we did it for oil" with you, huh? There are loads of other places we've sent our help that have nothing to do with oil. Was there oil to be had in Bosnia? Somalia?
Much easier to criticize without a valid reason, I guess. Less of a burdern of actually havi ng a rational basis, right?
-

If anyone is any country which is ignorant about what goes on its America *I apologise for the broad generalisattion* but as Jumpin Jack Flash demonstarted he doesn't even know where Zimbabwe is!!

I agree with tonto, if they had oil or some other commercially viable resource we wouldn't be able to keep America or any other "super power" out! I am not crazy about discussing politics, but if you want to F&*kin piss me off, get some yanky who had to look Zimbabwe up on an atlas give his two cents worth!!

The last thing on earth Africa needs or wants is the Americans coming to "Help us", fuck look at what Belgrade (thats in Serbia, in case you don't know where it is) and Afghanistan looks like after they helped them!!

As for the millions of starving people in that country, I think you should go back to smoking your peace pipe Peacefuljeffrey cause you don't have a fuckin clue what you are talking about.

Cloud laa laa land must be beautiful through those rose tinted glasses!!! >:(>:(

"Most of us can read the writing on the wall; we just assume it's
addressed to someone else!" Ivern Ball

It must be great to live in a place where u can pretend that there is nothing past the shores of America. As long as it doesn't affect u directly, why should you give a shit?
I live in Africa. I’m proud to live in Africa. I don’t necessarily agree with the way some Africans live, but that’s not to say, there are some really awesome things happening here.
Trust me, none of us want America to “baby sit” us, and nobody ever said it was your responsibility. All I’m saying is don’t flame a place that u know fuck all about!

I too live in Africa and I agree with everything you stated.;)

To our less than peaceful contributer and the rest, I started this thread with my tongue firmly in my cheek. While Zimbabwe is indeed a beautiful country it has (at the moment) very little to offer any potential "invaders" and I just found it mildly amusing and a tad ironic that a plane load full of mercenaries and military 'equipment' should turn up there of all places! One could speculate that they were on their way to Haiti, Iraq, Cuba or anywhere else, but Zimbabwe?:S

It still has to be proven of course that they are actually mercenaries and not a bunch of witch doctors with a plane load full of garlic, onions and olive oil, supplied by the WHO, on their way to SA to help treat our Aids sufferers! :P

The last thing on earth Africa needs or wants is the Americans coming to "Help us

Back in '76 when we (SA) had some of our Recces already beyond Luanda and the US had ships/troops in support just off the coast of Angola, they (I suspect the CIA) suddenly decided that it was no longer prudent to assist the SA forces. The SA forces, having relied on the US support, had stretched their supply lines too far. The rest, as they say in the classics, is history. And Angola has loads of oil. Diamonds too. Makes one think...

***your implied comment here is that the U.S. should be spending the time, money and lives of its citizens to go around the world to every place where people are acting like fucking animals against each other and make them all behave and love each other.
---------------------------------------------------
You really sound like a spoiled BRAT who does'nt give a toss about anything outside the borders of the USA, simply because you have never travelled to Africa, and understood the problems of trying to coexist in a 3rd world/1st world mismatch.

You are so LUCKY that you can sit there in your ivory tower and criticize millions of people who never had a taste of the blessings you take for granted every day. You are shameful and a disgrace to your wonderful nation. I have taken the trouble to travel to the USA four times, and I can rest assured that most Americans are not as pig headed as yourself, especially the ones who come here and see for themselves first, before ranting like a spoiled child.
As we in Africa know - "If you're going to be dumb - you'd better be tough."
- Tonto

I think it's fair to ask you why "western nations" are to be expected to come in and take care of the problems that plague "non-western nations" like Zimbabwe.

Thats a great attitude, and one that someone who places so much emphasis on being human if not always a peaceful one must be very proud of. Human that is in the sense that he is justified in turning on his fellow humans because they do not agree with his philosophy of apparently not giving a second thought towards the fate of others. But human in the inherent quality of recognising anothers need for help and being willing to afford that assistance to another living breathing being? Clearly not.[:/] An inward looking us and them/ me and you attitude is a massive help when it turns out to be you on the street in trouble, but no-one can be bothered to help, cos they dont know you, at best have only heard bad rumours about you and anyway they have problems of their own. Who doesn't?

It still has to be proven of course that they are actually mercenaries and not a bunch of witch doctors with a plane load full of garlic, onions and olive oil, supplied by the WHO, on their way to SA to help treat our Aids sufferers! :P

Can't belive anyone would try to use that as a cure:S Everyone knows that you need SWEET POTATOES to cure AIDs!;)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

The JACKASS known as TheAnvil returns to the forums after a brief vacation-induced respite. :)
Having visited Zimbabwe back in '01, I find the state of that nation to be a great tragedy. The vernacular lacks sufficient depth to describe my contempt for Robert Mugabe and his regime of rapists, thugs, and murderers. The level of human suffering induced by his racist land redistribution policies should be treated by the international community as a crime against humanity. He has turned one of the most beautiful nations I've ever seen (and I'm a well traveled JACKASS) into a land of fear, starvation, and repression. I have more respect for AlGore and John Kerry than I do Mugabe by about a factor of 100000000000000000000000, and I hold both of them in utter contempt.

For those unfamiliar with the situation there, GrandMasterSonOfABitch Mugabe started confiscating farms from white farmers and giving the farms to his cronies. Rape and murder of farmers and their families in order to expedite/effect this confiscation wasn't exactly uncommon.

In the years preceeding Mugabe's farm re-allocation fiasco, most foreign capital coming into the country was from purchase of Zimbabwean food exports produced by - the farms. Also, most of the food eaten by indiginous Zimbabweans was produced - you guessed it - by those farms. The production levels at the farms under their new owners has been dismal, which results in less cashola coming into the country and less food for the people to eat. Many are starving now. Disgusting.

Many many other factors contribute to suffering there, but as I see it the reasons I present above are the primary contributor to the human (and economic) catastrophe going on in Zimbabwe. Sad, because it really is a beautiful country with friendly people living there.

tequila power,

Vinny the Anvil
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

The last thing on earth Africa needs or wants is the Americans coming to "Help us

Back in '76 when we (SA) had some of our Recces already beyond Luanda and the US had ships/troops in support just off the coast of Angola, they (I suspect the CIA) suddenly decided that it was no longer prudent to assist the SA forces. The SA forces, having relied on the US support, had stretched their supply lines too far. The rest, as they say in the classics, is history. And Angola has loads of oil. Diamonds too. Makes one think...

Not the first time America has promised people help and then betrayed them... :o I'm thinking... promising help to the Shia and the Kurds after Gulf War 1 in 1991 and then leaving them to suffer Saddam's reprisals, Im thinking influencing the UN into quitting Srebrenica in 1993 and the consequent genocide, I'm thinking the failed anti-communist invasion of Cuba (Bay of pigs) not a great record of loyalty to a cause.

Zimbabwe is probably better off without them...:P

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

"Why bother?"

Well, to plunder the stocks of Zimbabaloobas obviously!

For those that aren't familiar with Zimbabalooba gear...shame on you!:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

[I agree with tonto, if they had oil or some other commercially viable resource we wouldn't be able to keep America or any other "super power" out! I am not crazy about discussing politics, but if you want to F&*kin piss me off, get some yanky who had to look Zimbabwe up on an atlas give his two cents worth!!

Well, I know right where Zim is. I have many friends from Zimbabwe and they are worried sick about their families and I'm worried about them as well. I think Mugabe should be hung by his testicles in the broad daylight and let the flys and ants eat his ass alive. Zim is a beautiful country and don't get me started on the rocks...oh the Great Dyke...she's beautiful!! B| I think the human rights violations are much worse in Zim than they were in Iraq. Will we go in? very unlikely. Unless some terrorists take up camp there... Then LOOK OUT. The sad part is, if terrorist do take up there, we'll probably help out the mugabe government. If that happens I'm leaving.

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

The last thing on earth Africa needs or wants is the Americans coming to "Help us",
--------------------------------------------------------

So when the shit hits the fan, you won't be calling US for help!?! I'll bet you will. Just like everyone else has and does.
We are not perfect, but we do give a shit!!! We will make mistakes, but most of the time we will be there when asked! Then we have to ask others to come help US.
Let me ask all of you, How many of your countrymen died in the towers on 9/11, and how many of your countrymen went to Afganistan?

Flame Away!
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

Why then did we have marines die in Somalia?

Because you were there using them as a tool in the cold war.

America rarely enters another country if it does not have a political advantage. That is clear. Before the 2nd Gulf War, we went to "liberate the Iraqis". Looks like they are very happy to be liberated! No, of course not, we went to get oil, Bush just didnt think it would be that much of a long term risk. Anyone heard of Neo-colonialism? And dont tell me America isn't guilty on a massive scale.

Check this out. America wouldnt recognize Zimbabwe as a nation after they wrote a Decleration of Independence BASED ON THE U.S. Decleration. How screwed is this country? Wouldnt support another country trying to follow in its footsteps!

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

So when the shit hits the fan, you won't be calling US for help!?! I'll bet you will.

Ummm....You MIGHT wanna check South Africa's military history. They HAD (Prior to Mandela) one of the FINEST militaries in the world. The SA military is one of the MAJOR reasons the US was able to "WIN" the cold war. If you study it a bit I think you'll find that they really don't need our help.

Ummm....You MIGHT wanna check South Africa's military history. They HAD (Prior to Mandela) one of the FINEST militaries in the world. The SA military is one of the MAJOR reasons the US was able to "WIN" the cold war. If you study it a bit I think you'll find that they really don't need our help.

Agreed. Those guys (and gals) don't dick around.

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

Mugabe started confiscating farms from white farmers and giving the farms to his cronies.

Please take a look at the attached picture. The body under the blanket is that of Terence Ford. He bought his farm from a black farmer using a loan from a black bank yet the 'land settlers' decided he had no right to it and killed him. Anyone who thinks Saddam is a bad man obviously isn't familiar with the work of Robert Mugabe. I was chatting to a chap from Zim this past weekend, his folks' farm was 'resettled' 10 years ago. He told me of a new problem they now have, all the subsistence farmers on those resettled farms have now become dependant on foreign aid (why work all day when the food is handed out free?). Now if/when the foreign aid does stop they will be well and truly fucked. No more big farms feeding the country and producing a surplus for export, only lots of little goat farms which aren't even being 'farmed'.

Mugabe needed to go a long time ago and Mbeki needs to stop supporting that scum.

Will

So here is a question=:

Should America get involved (in southern africa), and if so, on what grounds, and in which ways?
or
Should America stay out, and if so, dont you think they should stay out of all the other places they are in as well?

uuhhhh im beleive the cold war ended in 1989 or so. the marines went into somalia in 1993.

Check this out. America wouldnt recognize Zimbabwe as a nation after they wrote a Decleration of Independence BASED ON THE U.S. Decleration. How screwed is this country? Wouldnt support another country trying to follow in its footsteps!

please read up on the subject before you start attacking the US. The United States was the FIRST nation to open an embassy there in 1980. You must be referring to the fact the US, along with most western nations, did not recognize the earlier, white-supremist government that a bloody civil war was fought over. In fact, the US, great Britain, and the UN all imposed sanctions on that government. if you would actually like to study the history of zimbabwe before you start mouthing off, check out both these links.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/5479.htm
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108169.html

MB 3528, RB 1182

not a lot to be interested in

What about the theft, rape and murder of the hundreds of farmers? The families driven from their homes? What about the high crime rates and corrupt establishment?

Nothing to be interested in commercially does not mean nothing to be interested in.

Forget it, man, they're white. They won't get any sympathy or help.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Mugabe's a paranoid.

All I've seen thus far of "captured weapons" is a pair of bolt cutters and a sledgehammer. Hardly "tools" for a "mercenary action".

And you're right - who would bother?

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

uuhhhh im beleive the cold war ended in 1989 or so. the marines went into somalia in 1993.

American involvement there started long before, when Russia funded one side, America the other to fight their battles for them. This is something America has done several times in Africa.

And apologies for misunderstanding, I will read more in depth on the issue. I encourage people to argue about issues rather than sit back and do nothing, and this raises their awareness, as I just raied mine!

All I've seen is a racist dictator come to power, decide every white person in the country has no rights, "resettle" their land, and thereby destroy the food produciton capability of the country.

Was this Mugabe's train of thought:
"This country is far too peaceful for me to make a fortune. Well gee, let's toss off the successful farmers, turn the land over to our loyal gun toting thugs, and let them run it. What? They're eating free food and not farming? WTF?"

Even if those guy son the plane were mercenaries, who's to say they weren't hired by the last white farmer who hasn't been victimized yet?

And to whoever said "they still need to prove the guys were mercs," you're forgetting something. They don't have to prove shit. They are rule-by-force gangs.

I mean, look at this sack of shit.

His Excellency
Robert G. Mugabe
(The President)

Dear Comrades
After the recent spate of biased and mischievous reporting by the colonialist foreign press, I have ultimately decided to reveal to you, the honest and hard-working citizens of Zimbabwe, a little more of Mugabe - The Man.

I know you love your leader as much as you love your country. I know you deserve to see what kind of man I am. To those of you that already know me, this will simply be a joyous refresher of your cherished memories of me. To those with the still unfulfilled desire to know me better, I welcome you to an intimate glimpse of Mugabe - The Man.

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*