riggerrob

What type of reserve ripcord did you pull?

PLEASE folks, this poll is ONLY for people who have had to deploy a reserve in an emergency.

If you have more than one reserve ride, you may post multiple responses.
For example, since I have 20 reserve rides, I posted 20 times, mostly for "Large metal D-Handle," but once for "Metal Martin Baker handle" and once for "Plastic Martin-Baker handle."

Moderators ... is it possible to modify this post to allow people to vote more than once?

3 times, all "big D"s

Twice in stable terminal freefall (one hard pull, one PC in tow).
Once from a spinner/chop.

No problem finding/grabbing/pulling.

JW

PS - main deployment on the other hand has been:
throw out hacky / pvc / monkey
soft pillow pull out (chest)
Martin Baker two pin (chest)
Bent L ring handle (chest)
Martin Baker - outboard MLW
PVC ripcord - outboard TI / T student hip (plus drogue from both seats)
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Cloverleaf 2pin top mount belly-wart.
Plastic Martin Baker.
Blast handle.
large D.
small D.

I've jumped rigs will soft pillows but don't like them and wouldn't own one.
I jump with gloves and I have large hands, pillow is just more difficult to grab fast...espically if it's dark.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

PLEASE folks, this poll is ONLY for people who have had to deploy a reserve in an emergency.

If you have more than one reserve ride, you may post multiple responses.
For example, since I have 20 reserve rides, I posted 20 times, mostly for "Large metal D-Handle," but once for "Metal Martin Baker handle" and once for "Plastic Martin-Baker handle."

Moderators ... is it possible to modify this post to allow people to vote more than once?

Hmmm Cutaway #

1) Large Metal handle on Belly mount ( Homestead FL)

2) Large Metal handle on Belly mount ( Biscayne Bay FL)

3) Large Metal handle on Belly mount ( Homestead FL)

4) Blast Handle (Xenia OH)

5) Blast Handle (Richmond IN)

6) Pillow (Mesquite NV)

7) Small low profile metal handle (Orange MA)

8) Small low profile metal handle ( LP MT )

I got rid of my pillow after using it once and cold stiff fingers did not want to grasp the pillow so good

My only pillow reserve handle use showed me that not only was it harder to find but it was noticably harder to pull. I switched that rig immediately to a metal handle. The last thing you want after a cutaway is a reserve handle that is hard to find/pull. I would much rather have an obvious than have to rely on an AAD (which may not work in time especially after a cutaway.)

Definitely if you have a pillow handle. I do lots of crw and wouldn't want an rsl for that nor a pillow handle! I'd rather just have a handle I could pull

Actually the funny part is the time I had to use tge pillow reserve handle was actually on a total so a rsl or skyhook wouldn't have helped at all. Only an aad

My only pillow reserve handle use showed me that not only was it harder to find but it was noticably harder to pull. I switched that rig immediately to a metal handle. The last thing you want after a cutaway is a reserve handle that is hard to find/pull. I would much rather have an obvious than have to rely on an AAD (which may not work in time especially after a cutaway.)

very good point from a very experienced jumper --- my point, especially if you jump a fully articluated rig where handles can shift around during a violently spinning mal.

I have had 6 reserve rides so far in more than 2200 jumps.

1) partial mal with a chest mounted reserve (Greenstar system) type of handle: Clover leaf sideway pull
2) partial mal whith a wonderhog : type of handle : blast handle with center post removed
3) partial with a wonderhog : type of handle : blast handle with center post removed
4) partial mal with a Vector 2 : large D handle
5) total mal with Vector 3 Skyhook equiped : large D handle
6) total mal with Vector 3 Skyhook equiped : large D handle (hope this is the last one ;))

Ergonomically speaking, I think the large D reserve handle handle is the easiest one to grab and pull. The fact that you can put your thumb inside makes the pull more positive.
Note : I never had any problem with my blast handle since it is also an easy handle to find, grab and pull despite it has been deleted

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.