sunshine

Do you say "bless you?"

Och, be fair to the colonial cousins, the Black Death was at its worst when 25 million people died in just under five years between 1347 and 1352, but still feared till about 1600.
CC didn't get across the pond till what, 1492? Well past the worst phase. I think the plague only got as far as Greenland, not quite 'over there'.:)) was probably before the outbreak.
So "Bless you" etc would not have entered their everyday speech and folklore, why should it?

Anyways, Sunshine can bless me anytime, and as often as she wants.:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Noooo. Put your picture back on your avatar!!!

The one you are referring to is on my puter at home....you'll have to wait. :P

I never noticed how freakishly big and round your head and eyes were in person. :P

Gotta go... plaything needs to spank me
Feel the hate...
Photos here

I'm always like... look bio-tch, i didn't sneeze... YOU sneezed!!!!

I would like to personally thank weegegirl for starting my day off with huge laugh. That was freakin' hilarious. :D Bless you, weegegirl. :P

Fall in dove.

To me it's not about the religous aspect of it...It's all about common courtesy.

You could look at it as recognition too.

"Bless you, that was a fine sneeze. I really respect a person with your volume. Last time I was blasted like that, it was a small horse with nostrils as big around as a pool cue."

I was told at a very young age that you said bless you because when you sneeze, your heart skips a beat. I know - it's silly - but I was 7 and it made sense to me.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I was told at a very young age that you said bless you because when you sneeze, your heart skips a beat. I know - it's silly - but I was 7 and it made sense to me.

And every time a bell rings, an angel gets her/his wings. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

But so many of the colonial settlers came from the places that were affected by the plague, shouldn't they have taken the 'bless you' and the nursery rhymes with them? Its not as if they all suddenly woke up in america without remembering where they came from!:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

"why do I know it living in Africa?"

I don't really know the answer to that one Tonto.
Some sort of cutural heritage thing maybe, or even a closer link with your European ancestry?
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

But the US cut its ties with the UK sooner than most African colonies, maybe the cultural memory is fresher in commonwealth and other ex-empire countries. Maybe the US has a wider cultural intake, Asia, native Africans, etc, this may have diluted certain language aspects and nuances we take as read.
As I said to Tonto, I don't really know.:S
--------------------

Do American's get taught about the plague? I know in Britain its a very common subject and therefore the knowledge would be common enough within society to self perpetuate itself.

If its not taught in the US or if its not very widely taught then I suppose its hardly surprising its not known.

I learned plenty about the plague in school. I even had heard the story of the nursery rhyme. So......it's not everyone here.......;)

BTW.......I'm sure it's a more prominent subject in European studies than here. Just like I learned A LOT about the American Civil war in school because I grew up in Georgia. Sherman only missed the house I grew up in by about 3 miles. My ex-wife sort of brushed over the subject and spent a lot more time learning about Lewis and Clark and the Indian nations because she grew up in Washington State. It's all about relevancy.

I learned plenty about the plague in school. I even had heard the story of the nursery rhyme. So......it's not everyone here.......

Ok, well the plague isn't an issue today so i see no need to bless people when they sneeze. It's just weird!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I don't bless people when they sneeze either. I do feel as though I'm expected to say something, so I'll say something like, "need a tissue", or "please cover your mouth next time." :D