kai2k1

Its not a good day

Today I am going to bury my grandfather. He died over the weekend at the age of 88.

This is the first time i have ever been to a service where someone was cremated. It just didnt seem right being at the funeral home last night and seeing a box with his ashes and some pictures.

Anyone esle ever felt this way

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

Today I am going to bury my grandfather. He died over the weekend at the age of 88.

This is the first time i have ever been to a service where someone was cremated. It just didnt seem right being at the funeral home last night and seeing a box with his ashes and some pictures.

My condolences. However, 88 is a good run. No one in my family ever made it that far. We all pop off in our mid 70's, so he had a good run. Remmeber his life, and try to get some photos of him as a young guy to remind yourself of the full life that he had, rather then remember him as an old man. That worked wonders for me when I lost my parents.

My mother died suddenly and she was cremated. I still have her in the house. A little macabre for some people, but I kind of like still having her around, and from what she told me before she died, she would habe appreciated it.

Recently I had to bury my grandmother. It was the first close relative I had to bury, and I had to be a casket bearer too. It was the second hardest day of my life. I was weak, I felt that I could not hold the casket, and I felt that there was nothing I could do for my grandfather (they were married over 65 years). It felt like the world was spinning when I saw her in the hospital, drained of life. It was worse when I saw her in the casket, and even worse when I had to carry her to the graveside. I know what you feel, PM me if you want. My heart is with ya:(

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

I feel your pain right now. My Grandpa is 91, and will probably not see the end of this spring. It sucks, but I have two goals right now regarding him--1: Realize that no-one is immortal, so we need to cherish one another, and 2: (don't think me sexist for this) I need to be there for my Sister, Mom, and the other women in the family, who this is hitting the hardest.

Re: Small box--the US is the only country that does open casket wakes. So not seeing him is not unusual. Other countries see open casket wakes as creepy.

When I die, I want to be cremated, and half my ashes dumped outta 4-way RW formation, and the other half poured onto a coral reef.

I'm only 27, but I have a DNR on file if I am ever injured in such a way that might leave me para/quadraplegic.... Quality of life and all...

My condolences.

What did he do with life? What's his story? (I'm genuinely curious...)

First, I want to offer my condolences and second, I want to say that I completely understand how you feel. All of my grandparents have passed away and I have only been able to go to one of their funerals.

I have only been to one funeral where the person was cremated. One of my best friend's mother died when I was in Junior High school (from cancer that she battled for 9 years) and looking at the jar at the front of the church. I could not comprehend that that was the beautiful, kind woman that I knew. [:/]

I know that when my grandfather died, I remembered the good times and keep him with me always.

~R+R:)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

My sincere sympathy to you and your family. This will be hard for all of you. He had a very full rich life and you probably have many good memories to cherish.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

I'm so sorry. I know how you feel, my dad passed away last year, my sister & I had the cremation service for him...believe me, it was the hardest thing to have to see & watched.

My condolecenses to you and your family.

[:/]
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

Rick, sorry for your loss. You are half way there realizing that no one is immortal. Cherish his memory, and be close to your family and friends. Be there for each other as much as you can.

Blue skies.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

I'm very sorry to hear the bad news. I dred the day when my grandpa passes, hopefully not for a long time though. Try to remember the things you did together and what he said. It's been years since my Great Grandma and other Grandpa died but I still remember alot of the things they did and the time we spent together.

As for the funeral. I know what you meen. Our family always has big funerals with open caskets, the works. I guess it's just how we are. It has however made me feel strange going to a funeral when the guest of honnor is not there.