encinoadam

A Fond Farewell

Hey Folks. Well, after almost three years in the sport and almost 300 jumps, I've decided to call it quits. Yep, quits.

Some may ask why. Others may not care... just means more room on the airplane. Heck, it even means more room on the message boards. I won't read or post here again (other than to list my gear for sale). I know some of your are thrilled. That's okay.

There really isn't any one reason why I am leaving the sport. There are lots of reasons. Seeing, hearing and reading about injuries and fatalities has taken its toll on me. It has. If there is one incident that sticks out, it is Dwain Weston.

I met Dwain a few months ago. He was jumping this awesome birdman suit, and I still had my little Classic that I loved so much. I asked if I could make a jump with him. We made it a four way... he and his pal... me and my pal.

The first jump just went so-so. He gave me some advice on the ground and we tried again. I did better, and we even docked. Watching him fly was just... awesome... and indescribable to anyone that never had the chance to fly with him or someone of his skill level. I've only known one other person in my life that could fly a birdman suit like that.

In any case, I left the dz that day in such great spirits. I was still on that high a week later when I found out that he died.. some eight days after I met him. Jesus... that hit hard. Not because I was best friends with him... I wasn't. But because he was a person.. and because he was such an energetic and fun guy to hang out with (and fly with). I suppose under any circumstances, it would have been a tragedy.

Anyway, I took a hiatus after that, stopping only to fly birdman in tribute to someone else that died, though not from skydiving. Shorlty after that, a guy I knew for ten years hung himself. So, please understand that this isn't about skydiving and how it is so dangerous. For the most part, it is safe. I know I could have been killed on the way home today by a drunk driver or a meteor. You don't have to tell me. I practically wrote that script.

For whatever reason, I just feel like it is time to stop. I don't have the inclination to jump anymore. Sure, I do feel like at some point, statistically, the odds start to work against you. And, I don't have medical insurance or a family within 3,000 miles of here. If I got hurt, wow, it would suck. But, this goes beyond hurt or death.

Funny, today, as I made my last jump, I was more scared than on my AFF 1. But, it was uneventful... other than the fact that I had a great time. The fact is, everyone has a great time so long as all is good. A death or serious injury can put a stop to that quickly... and change lives overnight. And no, I don't plan on not living my life. But, I don't know, I'm just not into it anymore.

So, I'd like to leave you all with best wishes, and a few requests:

1) Be good to each other
2) Let people ask as many questions as they want
3) Find a happy medium between regulation and education
4) Realize that CYPRES is spelled with ONE S.

Adam

Sorry to hear you are leaving.

I too, have lost many friends jumping....16 at one time, and I know its hard to sometimes carry on.

I hope you keep well, and dont forget to look up once in awhile. The sky is always your 2nd home...and you can return if you want, and I for one, would be happy to hear that you did.

Meanwhile, take good care, and God bless you wherever you go, whatever you do.

Thanks for taking the time to say good bye....

Bill Cole D-41

I for one am trying to understand how you can leave such an incredible sport. But, I also know that when you say i had enough, thats it. Your post has made think alittle, when will I experience the loss, I hope never, and I too get that feeling when I exit every now and then, but how can you leave it. The sky, the clouds, that we don't break through, the air, the people we meet, the incredible stoke that only a skydiver knows, sorry to here your putting down your wings, hope to here your back one day my friend, I'll pay for that slot! hope to see you in the air again SOON. ED B-26704

I think you are making the right decision. You've decided the risk skydiving adds to your life is not worth it. You have to get out of bed every day, you have to drive your car to work, you dont have to skydive.

Blue skies.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

Even though we've never met, I'm sad to hear anyone leave this great sport. I hope in a while you'll change your mind (before all the gear sells!), but if not I wish you well in whatever else you decide to pursue (might I suggest homebrewing? :P)

Adam.
I too have lost friends in this sport, one only a few months back that really hit close to home. I carry a small picture of him with me on every jump. All three were pilot error as are 95+% in this sport. I know that my friends would roll over in their graves if I were to give up doing what they no longer have the chance to do because of their mistakes. I jump on the upper end of this sport, over 500 fun jumps a year on a highly loaded crossbraced canopy and hook almost every landing. For me. it's about risk management. If you have decided that the risk is not worth the enjoyment then you are making the right decision (especially with no insurance). The sky will always be there for your return if you so decide. We are a fortunate few who get to taste life to it's fullest but if that taste has become bitter, maybe it is time to step away. When I got hooked on skydiving, I put my golf clubs in the closet and let my country club membership lapse but didn't sell them. Nor did I refute the friends that I made during the years that I enjoyed the sport. If I quit skydiving tomorrow, I wouldn't lose the friends I have made here over the last few years but I may lose some of the bond that hold that that has holds us close.
We all have to make tough decisions in our life that will change our future. I for one am dealing with cancer at the moment which should not be life threatening but makes me look up and appreciate my time in the sky.
If it's time to walk away. then do so but don't turn your back to the pleasure and the friends that you have made along the way. Remember that life is a journey not a destination, so enjoy it.
Best wishes to you on your future and remember that most of us will still be here for you if you wish to return!

" You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"
If skydiving has embedded itself into your brain like i think it has, you will kick yourself for selling your gear.
Think of that guy in the wheelchair who wishes he could be you. Hope ya don't go insane on the ground bud. If you do , you know the cure. Blue skies...er ah... i mean Green Grass.

Hey, Adam.

Thanks for coming out and supporting Rob's family with Rob's memorial dive - I do so very much appreciate it - maybe more than you'd realize. The decisions you're making now are hard for you, I know. It's all right - you do for your life. You've had a rough time of it lately, and have come to an understanding with yourself.

Death is an interesting thing; sometimes, though, it teaches us more about how to live. You've had a lot of lessons thrown your way, and it will take some time to learn them all and to sort them out. And you've got some grief to get through, too. But don't forget to live while you're balancing the scales again, my friend...

I know you - and I adore you. And I respect your decision. And if it's ever time for you to come back to the sky, I will be right there, cheering you on. And if you never return to the sky, I will be right there, cheering you on. After all, it's your life...and your call, all the way down the board.

Now, jumping or not, you owe me dinner....Italian or chinese??;)

Hugs to you, Adam.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Do whats right for you. Also, dont forget the people your friends with. Wether your jumping or not, just going away is not fair in some ways to anyone involved.

We all jump for different reasons but on the same coin when the time comes we will all stop for different ones as well. Hats off to you, best of luck in what ever you do. Remember, they cant take away the things youve done and the experiences you had in the sport, just becuse you not jumping it doesnt mean you need to forget about them.....

3, 2, 1 Exit Exit Exit

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Adam,

I don't really know you and we have never met but I hope you had a great run, and continue to have a fun filled exciting life.

It is strange but everytime I read a post such as yours I experience feelings of pretty big sadness like it is personal, like there is a "disturbance in the force" that is palpable.

May good fortune befall you in everything you strive to acheive.

Adrian
S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

In some ways what is experienced never leaves you. For myself, I left Perris in 1989, jumped in WA State for a few years and now have not for too many, but in spite of not actively feeling the "feel" of it all, skydiving made and makes a dramatic impact. The reality is once you exit an aircraft you are considered dead unless you do something about it. To me, this is BIG stuff and the reality sinks into the mind. One way or another I believe the sport never leaves a person.

Wishing you the best, be safe, be happy and maybe as me you will somehow stay in the sport even if you are not actively jumping.
Blue Skies
Eric Bernstein
D-9298
[email protected]

Skydiving is no different than bowling, tennis, rockclimbing, or anything else when it comes to relationships. It's just another commonality we lace through our lives.

It's not the skydiving that keeps us together, connected, supporting, and loving each other. It's the relationships we develope through the contacts of skydiving. Bowlers, tennis stars, rockclimbers, and anyone else who shares a "special" moment with others will understand.

Remember, skydiving may be a thing of the past for you however, your friends are not. We are still here.

God Bless you, your choice, and your friends.

Blues my Brother,

J.E.
James 4:8

Even though we've never met, I'm sad to hear anyone leave this great sport. I hope in a while you'll change your mind (before all the gear sells!), but if not I wish you well in whatever else you decide to pursue (might I suggest homebrewing? :P)

I am happy to hear that he's leaving because it's what feels right. That's the best reason to do anything, I think.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

one last thought....

ya. it is the right time to go. i'm sad, but comfortable with my decision. ever see seinfeld? they left while the ratings were still good. bad comparison... I'm no seinfeld. just look at my paycheck. just look at any of my videos. i'm no skyg_d. just a guy that liked to jump.

anyway.... in a short time period, I've seen too many injuries. enough people have been hurt. enough people have died. ever seen someone in the hospital, paralyzed from skydiving? i have. ever seen someone with a $100,000 hospital bill from breaking both femurs, told by their doctor that they will probably be in pain for the rest of their lives? i have. ever seen someone on the ground in agony after a landing accident? i have. ever seen an ash dive?

sorry folks... not quite what I signed up for.

I did take something from this sport that I'd like to give back. it is this. it isn't about the 60 seconds of freefall (or in my case, wingsuiting it, 120 seconds). it isn't about the final destination. it is about the journey. if it is all about the destination, then on your best day, you might spend 1% of it in freefall. You are bound to be disappointed.

So, enjoy the car ride out there. enjor your friends. enjoy the plane ride. enjoy the canopy flight. enjoy the landing. enjoy packing your rig. if it is all about 60 seconds of freefall to you, you are missing 99% of what skydiving has to offer.

i've learned a great deal from this incredible sport and the people involved with it. I don't regret a second of it.

be safe. and share one of my best moments... with this pic.

adam cole
d-25990

Dear Encinoadam,

I read your 2 posts in this thread and I have to say that I have a difficult time understading your attitude and to be honest I think you are being weak by making this decision.

I don't think you are being completely honest with us as to why you are quitting. You keep mentioning the injury aspects. I don't buy it. There is somthing else going on thats tweaking you out.....

For example, why won't you post on DZ.com anymore? there are a lot of non active skydivers that still post on here.

I myself have spent time in the hospital and on crutches due to a broken leg. Get health insurance.

You will have plenty of time to rest when you are dead.
Quitting now is an insult to the people who can no longer jump for reasons beyond their control. You still have the choice that many dead/injured no longer have.

Once a skydiver always a skydiver. I know you will come to your senses when a few months go by, you're
bored with you life/job and you need an escape. It is then you will realize what you have given up.

I hope you get your shit together and quit feeling sorry for yourself. I hope to see you then. Good Luck.....

Scott

Thanks for your insight or whatever. Go visit a hospital and ask how they got hurt. He who dies with the most and coolest skydives and skydive friends wins. I fear dying in a car accident that isn't my fault. I still drive. Cars are the most dangerous thing around. So buy a rocking chair and sit home and live , i mean exist a long time bro.
Yea take a break. Get your head together.
Don't sell the gear ! You might come back and get another 3000 jumps or more before you die of some other unexpected reason. Love it or leave it. Ya know you love it. Now get on a load with a fresh state of mind.

I read your 2 posts in this thread and I have to say that I have a difficult time understading your attitude and to be honest I think you are being weak by making this decision.

Yet again you show that you know nothing about this sport.

Perris is the best, your weak for quitting...Blah,blah, blah.

Ya know you need to shut your lip and listen and learn more.

I have a friend that quit with over 3500 jumps...Is he weak also? He accomplished more in this sport than you most likley ever will.

Adam wants to quit...He made a hard choice. Much harder than slamming him for making it..

You really do kill me. Less than 200 jumps already broken a leg already, but you already "know it all".

Tell me how you feel after a few friends bounce.

Adam..Well......Uh....That kinda sucks. But it just shows that not everyone that thinks they will be jumping forever and do 10,000 jumps will.

I respect your choice.

You will get no flack from me about it.

After 10 years you are not the first to leave...And I bet you will not be the last.

If you ever decide to come back...The sky is waiting.

It was there before you were jumping, and it will be there tomorrow.

It and we will welcome you back.

Blue Skies...Have a nice life.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Adam... you have more respect from me then people that keep jumping just because their life has no other purpose. Cut out and remember ther good times. Life has way more to offer then just what DZ's have, enjoy them all. I'm sure I'll join you one day.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

My best wishes to you. I do not know you, but I echo what a lot of people have said (and I'm still a baby in the sport).

Don't sell your gear just yet...give yourself time away from the sport before you make that decision. If the gear being near you bothers you, ask a friend to hold it for you for a bit.

Don't stop being on the boards or hanging with your friends that are skydivers. We can still learn from your experience and will welcome you at all times - whether you jump or not.

The sky will always be there and so will your true friends.

Good luck....best wishes...and blue skies. :))
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Yet again you show that you know nothing about this sport.

Perris is the best, your weak for quitting...Blah,blah, blah.

LOL!

You really do kill me. Less than 200 jumps already broken a leg already, but you already "know it all".

Did I say that? read my post again.

Did I say that? read my post again.

OK...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1011694#1011694

You will have plenty of time to rest when you are dead

Quitting now is an insult to the people who can no longer jump for reasons beyond their control. You still have the choice that many dead/injured no longer have

Yeah like leaving before he is dead/injured, or wanting to not see another person die.

I know you will come to your senses when a few months go by

so you KNOW that huh?

I hope you get your shit together and quit feeling sorry for yourself

Well it seems you are quite condesending to a person you know nothing about...In a sport you know nothing about.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=979305#979305
I never realized that a special certificate was required in order for skydivers to be able to even open the door of any airplane in flight.

The wind tunnel has generated more traffic. With a DC-9, it will crush the competition.

I agree totally, I feel this jet will set a new standard for dropzones in America. It's about setting a standard that other dropzones can follow.

Yesterday, to have a good dropzone, you needed a C-182. Today, you need a turbine aircraft.

Tommorow, you will have to have a jet like Perris.

You are bad mouthing a really good helmet because you are ignorant. He just needs one that fits!

And you with all that experience know better?

At this point, I really don't care if this idiot bunces.
Don't expect us to plant a tree or do an ash dive in your honor because you are not worth it.

there are more...But Im tired of you already.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Very impressive disection of my post but the other posts that you listed.... about the DC-9 jet and about the Havok helmet really don't have a lot to do with this post and should stay seperate.

You are welcome to disagree with what I have to say but reposting threads that you don't like is irrelevant. Stick to the topic.

Also, the comment I made about the guy bouncing was well justified if you read the entire thread.

Very impressive attempt to make me look bad! ;)
Keep up the good work!!:)