AggieDave

Tux question

If I go with a non-western style tux for my wedding, would cowboy boots be out of line?

I was thinking about saving up for a nice pair of custom Lucchese Boots for my wedding, but I don't really want to go with a "western" tux (black wranglers, tails, black stetson), but more of a traditional tux.

Maybe I should have put this in the womens forum...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If I go with a non-western style tux for my wedding, would cowboy boots be out of line?

From a style perspective: Yes.
From what you want to do and what your fiance thinks: Up to you.

Certainly there are western style tuxes without the tails (dark gray, vest in lieu of cumberbund, etc.).
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Yeah, I've already decided NO to a cummerbund, definately a vest.B|

I think I'm going to have to buy a tux, though, since I'm going to have to get the jacket custom tailored do to my chest and shoulders.

Yes, totally!

"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

Dave,

This is YOUR wedding, so don't worry about what other people think. This day is all about you and your fiance. And I think it's great to throw in a little of your own personality! I would not have a problem with you wearing cowboy boots in your wedding, but even if I did, who cares?! It's about you. . . remember that. :)
Now, if your fiance has a problem with them, that's a different story . .. ;)

Kelly

With a non-western style tux--Yes.

As for the beaucoup expensive boots--wear a regular tux, spend the $ you woulda spent on 'em on a kickass honeymoon...

But then again, I'm from Illinois, so I'm a bit outta my element on Western Fashion...:S

EDIT: Ignore all of the above--'tis your day. If you and your Fiancee' like it, go for it!

Yep, what Kel said. It's your day, make it reflect your style.

This is exactly why me and Bryan are eloping in vegas. We don't have to worry about that crap.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Totally out of line. If you want to be proper, get a copy of Judith Martin's "Miss Manners on Weddings," have your intended peruse it, and obey her every command. I seem to recall that proper for a daytime wedding will have the men in striped pants...

Edit to add: hey, still buy the boots, they are great. Any you'll feel less constrained with materials if you are not trying to make them look good for the wedding attire, such as wondering whether it is ostrich or gator for an afternoon wedding;)

I think you can wear them. But I'm also a bit odd.

It's your wedding, it's IN Texas - most likely no one will notice. I don't think anything is "out of line", you can do anything @ a wedding these days.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

I wouldnt do the boots, but then again I would wear cowboy boots at all. its all about your style. my tux when I got married was all about me... its your day. do what YOU want and what YOU like.. screw being "proper" who needs it anyways. hell...top it off with a huge purple fuzzy cowboy hat.. that will definatly take the attention away from the boots!:P

Yeah, I've already decided NO to a cummerbund, definately a vest.B|

I think I'm going to have to buy a tux, though, since I'm going to have to get the jacket custom tailored do to my chest and shoulders.

Now that you mentioned that you're going to buy the tux, I would go pretty conservative. Those designs are more timeless, suitable for any occaision, but don't lend themselves to being very attractive with cowboy boots. I also suggest (if you can swing the $) is that you have a vest and cummerbund (not to wear at the same time, one may be better than the other for some occaisions). Even in Texas, men can look pretty snazzy without cowboy boots...or maybe I'm thinking only of Dallas... :P;):D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I was thinking about saving up for a nice pair of custom Lucchese Boots for my wedding, but I don't really want to go with a "western" tux (black wranglers, tails, black stetson), but more of a traditional tux.

Maybe I should have put this in the womens forum...

If you gonna wear the boots and stetson, might as well go whole hog and put on the six-shooters. Saw a couple get married in Ft. Worth and the man was wearing six-shooters on both sides. Looked like Doc Holliday :S:S
Scars remind us that the past is real

I worked at a western wear store in HS and my first yr of college and we had a subsudy type thing with a formal wear company for tux ordering. I've seen numerous non-western style tuxedos worn with nice dress boots and it actually looked pretty good. It all depends on the style of tux,boots and how "proper" you want your wedding.

Just my $.02

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

What color is the Tux?

Don't know yet, exactly, except that the tux will be black. As for the "other"colors, I'm not real sure. Might go with a black vest, or maybe a cool dark green vest...B|

Now, if your fiance has a problem with them, that's a different story . ..

Somehow I can't see Dave marrying any woman who would have a problem with him wearing cowboy boots in any situation. They're just too much a part of who he is.

Dave - I dare ya to ask her if you can wear that ratty old straw hat of yours in the wedding - if you're doing it outdoors that is. :D:ph34r:

Wear the boots, you're a Texan after all. Aren't they allowed pretty much everywhere like flip-flops are in Florida? They're a part of your culture. But, definitely wear a classic style tux. You don't want to look back 30 years from now and say, "what was I thinking!".

Another thing, everyone is going to be looking at the bride, they don't care about the groom's feet! :ph34r: Wear what makes you happy and just don't invite Ms. Manners and you won't have a problem. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon