Kiki

Ways to tell Parents you skydive

Ok i have a real problem, my father doesn't know i skydive and....yeah he has already told me not to do anything else stupid and yes he would consider this sport stupid. Plus he gets mad easy so how would ya'll go about telling your parents if you were in my shoes? Any and all help/advice would be helpful.B|
Just because I appear sweet doesn't mean I can't kick your ass!

I was in college when I started jumping...I didn't tell my parents at the time(not because I knew they would object, just didn't feel it was necessary knowing my mom would worry about it)...when I went home to visit once, I brought a rig with me and spent a couple days at Perris..they asked what that was, I told 'em, my mom said "I don't like that", I said "Tough", that was the end of it. Fast forward 9 years, and it's still the same. If you're worried about it, don't tell 'em....but don't lie to 'em.

Mike

How old are you? Do you live with your parents still? If not, screw them. In time they will see that skydiving is a part of your life, and they will learn to cope with it. They won't like it, but they will learn to cope with it. If they don't...I still say screw em.

Now if you live with them...don't tell them until you move out :D

I had around 10 jumps before I told my parents what I was doing. I asked them to babysit my then-6 year old son so I could "go to the airport." When I dropped him off that afternoon they asked what I was going to do at the airport. I told them "jump out of perfectly good airplanes." They were less than thrilled - but they did babysit that afternoon. :D

Just tell him. He'll react how he's going to react. The longer you wait the harder it is to bring it up...

As long as you aren't being supported by your parents financially, it's your life and you should do whatever you want to do. They'll get over it.

Be honest.. Tell them.
They are going to have a rough time with it, but they will get used to it eventually when they see that this is something that makes you happy.

My parents went from absolutely against it, to fully supporting it. Now if I dont send them pictures at least once a month they start whining :P ha ha..

Seriously, it's a weird idea for them because they dont know what it is that is so cool about the sport, my parents started to understand after they came out to the dz a couple of times and saw me right when I landed...

Tell them.. don't keep things like this a secret for them.

My parnets knew from day one. I made my little brother go with me for my two tandems, he still lived with my parents at that time and they wached my two kids while we went....We went on the first sat after new years and then the next saturday....I was hooked so I went back for AFF on Monday and my parents realized that no matter how much they tried to talk me out of it...."Think of your kids" the more they realised how much I loved it and how it became a huge part of my life. The only time I agreed with them about not jumping was just last week. I made my last jump until November. I am prgnant and I am not doing well at all...no more jumping for me, but believe me I will be back...

edited to add: that the only time my father came out to watch me jump, my friend had gone in on a couble mal, so that also brought a lot of tension, not just that but also some injuries I have accurried jumping.....well I should say landing...I know those aren't over with by a long shot...

I told my parents before I ever did my first jump. And you know what? My mom was more concerned about the cost of everything. Of course she was worried. What loving mother wouldn't be? But she didn't try to stop me. She always tells me to have fun when I leave to go to the dz. She's just worried that I'll be spending too much money that I really don't have to spend.

My dad was a little different though. He told me not to go, but I told him I was going to go anyways. So after my 2nd jump, he's been asking me how my jumps have been going. I'm surprised how well my parents have taken to it.

Your dad may not take to it too well. But you just gotta say you're going to do it anyway whether you have his blessing or not. He is just worrying about you cuz he doesn't want you to get hurt.
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

I invited my parents over for dinner and told them i had to show them of a video of a commercial I was going to be in. When it came time I put in the video of a jump and played dumb "oh what is this???" Hahaha. Then they watched in horror. Mom didn't speak to me for a while, but thats ok, she got over it and eventually even started asking "did you jump this weekend?":D

oh and by the way, don't wait until you get hurt for him to find out....that would be bad...just do it and have him come out if he is willing and see how safe it is. My dad unfortunatly will never come out again, but my mom wants to lose weight so she can do a tandem. She is light enough to do one now, but she doesn't want to, until she has lost 20 lbs....moms...

As a person we all have choices, you can choose to tell your parents the truth or lie. Sometimes the truth can hurt them, but what's worse is lying to them and have them find out in an appropriate situation.

My mom have never liked/support/agreed to my decision to become a skydiver. I hid it from her at first...but after I signed up for the AFF, I told her the truth. I thought as parents...they don't always agreed/liked things that we do, however...if they love us, than they would support our decision.

I'm a mother of two....I would really hope that my kids would share their decisions on whatever things they decide to do....I may not like it, but I will offer my support on their decisions. Hope this make sense.
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

When i started to jump I told them right away and my mom really worried, but then when the came to visit me at college, I bought my dad a Tandem jump for x-mass and my mom went on an observation ride in the plane. She got to watched me jump out, and now they are a lot more comfortable with it.

"Pilots without Maintainers are just pedestrians with cool jackets and sunglasses"

heheh I would have to agree with you on that. I would rather tell him then him finding out. It would be worse for me. Then again i am scared how he is going to take it. My bf could vouch for that.
Just because I appear sweet doesn't mean I can't kick your ass!

My parents knew from the start. Since I turned 18 they have never imposed any restrictions upon my behaviour. They weren't too keen on it at first, especially seeing as though i sold the car they bought me for my birthday to pay for AFF without even driving it [:/] my dad still doesn't like to hear about it but my mum is quite keen to learn more. she actually called me the other day because she had seen some BASE on tv and was wondering if i was going to be doing that in the future, haha i said if i do it wont be for a very very very long time mum.

But yes, be honest with him, I think the fear comes form the unknown, if you can make him understand what it is you're doing and show him that it's all quite safe and there are stringent safety proceedures that must be followed then he might be a bit more open to it.

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie

I started skydiving and did not tell anyone.

But I was lucky enough to have three jumps filmed during my first 20 jumps.

So I have all of the outlaws over, we have a big meal and gather 'round the television.

I pop in the video with my three jumps on it and NOT one of them recognizes me.

And then we have this conversation about skydiving and everyone thinks that it's really cool to do. And of course everyone wants to do it.

Then I want to know if anyone in the room has ever jumped....no one has,

Except ME!

And then I replay the videos and then they take notice that it's me on TV!

They just couldn't believe it!, I must have answered questions for 20 minutes while all of the time just laughing my azz off!

Blue Ones!

Don't go away mad....just go away!

I can empathize with you. I didn't tell my father before I went skydiving because he is ultra conservative and is afraid of any risks. He won't even fly. Anyway, when I told him he said he hoped I wouldn't be foolish enough to do it again. He didn't want to see the video and pics, and it makes me kind of sad that I can't share my passion with him.

Anyway, I would just be straightforward and tell your father. You are an adult, so you have the right to live your life. I don't know what else you have done that your father would need to say "don't do anything else stupid," but although skydiving has risk involved, I wouldn't call skydiving a stupid thing to do. Good luck!

-Michele
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

Haha this sounds familiar...I didnt tell my rents till about 3 weeks ago.

They found out when I put my skydive MileHi T-shirt in the wash machine, and then they saw the closing pin necklace and asked what it was.....so I told them.

Mom: Thinks I am dumb
Dad: Was super pissed, but now tells everyone about his skydiver son...*shrugs*

Just tell them.....its funny.
Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

my parents subliminally told me how to not skydive by suggesting where I should put my interests financially... in the long run they just don't want to bury you. or the short run... be safe and don't jump your own intristic learning curve by throwing reason to the wind.... throw caution but realize that their nay say is based in reality, my Mom hates that I skydive because of that lingering possiblity... so pray you don't get got, and prove em that it's all good in the uppers...

the comeback kid-

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

I love and still don't regret the way I told my parents!..I called them from Chicago O'Hare airport after my weekend at SDC and said "Hey mom..dad..I became closer to God this weekend!;)" and they responded "Wow, did you find a new church or something?" and I said "No, I discovered skydiving"..To this day, they remember that and still laugh and smile! And..the best part is they have been my biggest supporters. My mom asks me every Sunday as I'm driving back from the dz if my landings are more graceful than the last time she saw me faceplant into a ditch at Gold Coast..LOL!:D

My parents knew that I've always wanted to go skydive, they just didn't think I would ever do it. When I told my mon she just got quiet and asked if I got whatever it was out of my system. When I told my dad he flipped out. I waited a few weeks and then told them both that I was going to be jumping a lot this summer.They are slowly coming around but i know they don't like it.
You need to just tell your parents what you have been doing, hey they might surprise you in their reactions. Give them time to come around and if they don't just tell them this is something you are going to do because you enjoy it.

Good luck ;)
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly