hohonukai

skydiving is a sport

I have a handful of co-workers that I've been arguing with about skydiving being a sport. All in good nature, of course, they want me to prove that it is. They say skydiving is not a sport. I say it is.

We've brought up the following so far:

I say we compete in skydiving, therefore it's a sport.
They came back with American Idol is competition, and it's not a sport. You can compete at beer drinking, but it's not a sport.

They say if it's not on ESPN, it's not a sport. I say it was on ESPN X Games. They say skydiving would be considered a game then, or a hobby, or an outdoor activity. But ESPN does call skydiving a sport, does it not?

They say can you bet on skydiving? I said I'm sure somewhere bets go on. They say it's not a sport.

They say are there stats on wins/losses? They say are there stats on who broke their leg this week? I say yes there are stats online for competitions. No stats for broken legs.

I'm trying to prove but I'm losing on the argument because I don't have time to formulate a complete answer. Anybody have any free time on their hands to prove skydiving is a sport? Compare it to football, baseball, etc. Frisbee football they say it's a sport too, but playing catch with a frisbee is not a sport.

Another point that got brought up that if you can sit and watch it, it's a sport. I say you can watch jumpers. They also say physical activity does not make it a sport either. It's a fun debate with people who really don't think it's a sport. I don't take it personally. But skydiving is a sport dammit.

Sport vs. Game / Activity / Whatever is really arbitrary. I like the definition that if there isn't a realistic risk of killing yourself doing it, it isn's a sport.

Basketball and baseball are not really sports. Scuba diving and Skydiving are - even without competition, betting, or statistics. Football, hockey, and rugby are sports, and fencing and boxing would have to be as well because although deaths are rare, they follow logically from the performance of the activity, should safety devices fail or be ignored in the interests of historical authenticity. Most firearm sports would be hard to define - they use deadly implements in safe ways.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I dunno. I've argued before that it isn't a sport. In the end, I don't really care. It damn well is a whole lotta fun.

Aparently Ball-room dancing is a "sport"

Some people think Chess is, too.

Both are in the olympics.

Whatever those are... Skydiving has very little in common. I'm perfectly happy with jumping being whatever it is... cuz pigeonholing it is silly. What is it? IT's damn fun.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Compare it to football, baseball, etc***

Just tell them its unique and better than all the other sports, cause unlike theirs that require one ball........B| Ours requires two.....

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

have any of them been skydiving? if not ask them too, if they won't ask them why? is they say it's becasue it's too dangerous, just call them pussies and to go play suffleboard or something.

nascar is a sport, you can die doing it and it doesn't involve a ball.
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

This is the oldest scam in the world. People who feel that they are challenged by something will take the position of "It's no big deal, anyone can do it." This puts you in the position of defending it to them as if they are judging its validity.

Personally, I respond to these people with "Really?" and ignore them. That makes it clear that they totally don't understand the concept and that I don't care if they do/don't.

If done right skydiving test your mental and physical capabilities to do it any good. There are TEAMS who COMPETE to be the BEST in each discipline. You can be injured or killed, and yes if we wanted to we could absolutely keep statistics of win/loses injuries, etc. And we could start gambling on it. And yes it was absolutely in the X Games on ESPN.

So none of THEIR arguments hold any water.B|

Then you take into account Philly Kev's post on the Webster's of sport and there is your argument. Just because they do not succumb to your superior definition and intellect does not mean you are losing. It just means

1.) They are too dumb to realize they lost the argument.
:ph34r:
and

2.) Too scared to ever skydive and therefore feel inferior to you and your cajones and therefore feel the need to bash your sport.:P

hehehehehee

"If you can die doing it, it's a sport. If not, it's just a game"

Right on...I agreed with Wrongway!!!!!

You could die playing badminton.

Yeah if I filled the damn thing with dynamite or a 747 crashed into you while you where watching the birdie.:D

Sport vs. Game / Activity / Whatever is really arbitrary. I like the definition that if there isn't a realistic risk of killing yourself doing it, it isn's a sport.

Sport versus game discussions usually centers around activities like chess. While it is competitive, it does not require physical skill. Therefore it is a game, neverminding the counter claims that speed chess is a physical endeavor. Skydiving has the latter, but for most is not a competitive event, making it an activity under the given constructs.

It of course doesn't matter and is all semantics.

If your construct is can you die - well then just about anything qualifies, and bowling and hunting would be on top. These stiffs were heart attacks waiting to happen, but it is a rather frequent occurrence.

I think my criteria centers around how good the photography is.