Ron

Have you seen someone die in this sport?

The 50/50 split in the poll is disturbing. I expected to see a lot of 'yes', but it seems that for every person
who didn't there's someone who did.

Which seems to support the theory that most will see someone die. Most people personally KNOW someone that has died.

Of course some of these didn't really read the question...I am sure some have known someone to die and they answered "yes"...But that is my next poll here..I will wait for this one to slow down before I post the next one.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

So, did you mean actually see it with your own two eyes or simply be on the DZ at the time (or possibly in the air on the same or following load).

Because I'm guessing that even though a lot of people may have been at the dz at the time of the event, a relatively small number actually saw most events with their own eyes.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Oh yeah....I almost forgot. I did see someone die of what I can only guess was a heart attack on the DZ. He had just made a skydive and was standing there talking with friends....WHAM.....he went down. I know I'm splitting hairs as it wasn't a major trauma due to skydiving but I think the heart attack was at least triggered by his jump. *SHRUG*

4 deaths while I was on the DZ in three incidents. Two of the diseased, I knew personally. Its just a sad part of the sport but life must go on.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

So, did you mean actually see it with your own two eyes or simply be on the DZ at the time (or possibly in
the air on the same or following load).

Well the question says "Have you seen someone die"

But if you were on the DZ I can take that....But I don't want things like "Well this guy Bob I meet once bounced at a boogie in China".

So only Deaths you have been at the DZ for...And I wrote that in the first post.

Only count fatalities that you have been on the DZ for.

But I am sure several have already said yes even though they have never been at the DZ.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Yes. I watched my friend and mentor cut away from a spinning mal at an altitude from which the reserve had no possibility of opening. :(:(

I sincerely hope that those of you who haven't lost a friend never do. It shook me to my core, and I seriously thought about quitting the sport.

Here's an interest quote I remembered reading from the wreck. I'm surprised I was able to find it (took a little digging). It was part of a discussion of whether skydiving was safer or more dangerous than driving.

Google Post

Here's what alot of folks are trying to tell you. Next time you're at your DZ where apparently you are so well admired, look around. Look at your instructors, those "skygods" that jump so well. Look at that cute girl that is so hot. How 'bout "ole trusty" over there that's been jumping since before dirt. Maybe there's a super conservative guy that's real anal about his gear. There's that young kid that's made a bajillion jumps in about 2 years and swoops as pure as the new driven snow. Look at all of them, the ones that you like, the ones you don't, the ones you barely know. Look real hard, because in 5 years, one of them is gonna be dead. Unless, of course, it's you. And you can't say that about all the folks you know that drive.

Kevin O'Connell

It rings true for me. :(

--Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

Never witnessed one.
Knew one that died.
Saw the aftermath of a mid-air collision where one died and the other was in ICU for 4 months. Glad to say that he is up and around and we actually cooked out last night.

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

never seen it happen. haven't even known anyone personally who has died.

but you know, this thread got me thinking... If I did see it, I don't know if I'd still jump[:/] I'd have to really work through it.

I appreciate everyone's comments here...

-the artist formerly known as sinker

It was hard for me to get back in the air after Huggy went in at the 300-way at SDC a couple years back. Now it is even harder to continue to jump after Roger passed. The only way I jump now is on small RW jumps; I won't do big freefly jumps anymore... too many "other people" in the air.

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

Suckily so.. Most of you know this already..

2,, Last years WFFC.. Helicopter the day I arrived and swoop pond a day later as I was trying to relax and forget about the helicopter incident.. >:(

Both due to really bad human error.. Let's be smart out there...

Segador

I have seen too many, but the first one was a spinning double mal and the whole time he was coming down, it really sickened me to know that he probably knew, that he was going to die. Some friends of mine got on the next plane and I decided to just go home. The next day was Monday and while I was at work, that's all I could think of and I then wished I had made that one more jump that day, kind of getting back on that horse.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

Yes, 2. First was a double malfunction due to incorrect EP's and the 2nd was a low hook turn (toggle) I was the first to him and was followed within 2 minutes by a Doc, ER nurse, EMT/P, EMT/I (all jumpers). All we could do was unfold him and open an airway and start an IV until LifeFlight arrived. He passed that evening in the hospital. Both very sad as I feel in my heart that a lack of training and education contributed significantly to both.

Tim
Maggot:ph34r:

I have been fortunate enough have missed the incidents by means of being out of eye-shot.
I have been "1st responder" to 3 trauma victims.
I would never be an EMT= my own pain is irrelevant, seeing someone else in pain hurts me much deeper.