Ron

Have you seen someone die in this sport?

I saw a German mother of 2 toddlers go in in Ampuria,low cutaway hitting a boat.Her Husband hooked himself in at the same time I think from witnessing the accident under canopy.It was a Sunday 2 years ago

I was there too (as I said either debriefing with Ritchie or maybe in a plane)... jumping with my wife... makes you feel strange......
Remster

I saw a girl at Empuria Brava break both her legs around christmas time last year, doing a low turn (40ft) to avoid the trees.
I actually have that on video as well.

No deaths though, and i hope i don't see any either.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

I worked on two people who later died; both people were clearly critical as I was working on them. (Obvious severe brain damage in both cases.) I saw a third person die at Perris a while back. He flared with front risers and landed about 100 yards from me; I was in the loading area. EMT's got to him within a few moments. We took off, landed, and I found out a little later that he had died almost instantly from a broken neck.

Ron,

I was witness to one you were also present, May this year at Z-hills. The moment has yet been vivid in my mind as it was today. Back then I only had close to 50 jumps, and really made me take a hard look into this sport, in that case, It felt cold, and strange, all I could think is why? saw the last 200 feet of his flight, and remember absolutely everything, I was geared up for the very next load and did not made it before 3 or 4 people were already there. I decided not to approach you guys (as you posted before you were there), for there was absolutely nothing for me to do.

I decided to get back in the air in the very next load, there were 5 more people with me making a RW jump, and we were all in shock and sorrow, it is something I would not wish anyone to go through.

What worried me then and hopefully for the rest of my life is that he had a good canopy, plenty of experience (600 jumps), and yet something went terribly wrong. I decided to keep his name out of this, but only wish that his family and those close to him have found peace.

Blue skies:(
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

I saw one (hooked in about 25 ft from me)

I didn't know the person - but I gave up the sport - don't have the balls anymore after that - but miss the sport thats why I'm still lurking here - whoknows maybe when my kids are older I'll start up again.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I realize that this is not a popular topic, but we often say "If you are in this sport awhile you WILL see someone die."

So I was wondering if this is true.

Saw every sickening last second of the person I love most in the world (from a bit above). :(

Getting back in the sky was hard, but not an option - had to scatter his ashes. But I'm still not back to 'normal' jumping. I'm more nervous and I find I am far more harsh on my friends taking dumb risks that I used to thing nothing of.

[waves finger at Skymick]... hook turns are BAAAD.. okay? ;)

nothing to see here

Fortunately I have not seen a single death in 26 years of skydiving.
I have been in the hangar when a couple of people died. The first time I saw a student canopy with an empty harness as I was trotting my tandem student out to the plane.
The scariest thing I saw on a DZ was the non-jumping cocaine fiend bleeding out in the Perris parking lot, from a gun shot wound. He died later that morning in hospital.

Although I have not seen anyone die in the sport, I lost a close friend of mine and almost lost another last year. A lot of us are probably that way as well. Low turn accidents, or other incidents that didn't result in a death, but pretty darn close.

For better poll results, I'd add that option to it

Just my .02 cents

Chris
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

nope.. lucky for me.. I have been at dz's during incidents resulting in death but never seen the incident. And, of course have lost friends in the sport. I did watch the tandem in Monterey spin down earlier this year but fortunately, everyone lived. B|B|
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

Ive seen two...a guy and later, a girl. I have known many who died taking part in the sport..but wasnt there when they bought the farm. I lost 16 friends on one jump, into Lake Erie, Aug 27 1967. I know three or four who committed suicide, but only 1 of those while jumping. Bill Cole D41

I lost 16 friends on one jump, into Lake Erie, Aug 27 1967.

Oh my God.:| :(

I've been lucky enough not to see anyone go in. I have seen a couple of nasty landings, one of which resulted in a double-femur...

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Suckily so.. Most of you know this already..

2,, Last years WFFC.. Helicopter the day I arrived and swoop pond a day later as I was trying to relax and forget about the helicopter incident.. >:(

Both due to really bad human error.. Let's be smart out there...

Segador

WFFC is Rantoul, right? And 2002 was last year? I'm confused because I saw the Rantoul 2002 DVD recently and they had a bunch of stats listed at the intro, like # of spectators, jumpers, jumps (around 42k!!!), and then the last one was skydiving-related injuries: 0. Are you saying there were two fatalities there? I'm a total newbie so I'm just genuinely confused and trying to clear it up...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Yes two in one weekend. Both tandems. One the Tandem master died and the other one the passenger died. I had just gotten off student status and the tandem master on the second one (fully recovered from massive injuries and resumed jumping) had been my AFF instructor. I didn't jump for weeks after that, until he came to the DZ and wanted to know why I hadn't jumped.

Rhonda

the last one was skydiving-related injuries: 0

Yes, the 2002 Rantoul WFFC had 2 fatalities. 1 was non-skydiving realted (spectator hit by helicopter blades, I wont go into the details on how this happened); the 2nd was, as far as I can remember, 100% skydiving related.
Remster

my own pain is irrelevant, seeing someone else in pain hurts me much deeper

Same with me. I get really upset when I see someone else suffering and there's nothing I can do to help. [:/]

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Although I have not seen anyone die in the sport, I lost a close friend of mine and almost lost another last
year. A lot of us are probably that way as well. Low turn accidents, or other incidents that didn't result in a
death, but pretty darn close.

For better poll results, I'd add that option to it

When this one starts to fade I am going to post that as a poll...

Maybe I should have done them opposite.

Who has lost someone, then who has seen someone go?

But its to late now.

I am just trying to see if what we always say is true...

I personally think it is. But I am surprised by how close to 50/50 it is.

Now I know that some have misread it and answered yes when they were not on the DZ...

And worse I feel that some have answered yes to try and be "cool"....I have seen it before. There is a fatality at the DZ, and a guy asks me what happened since he was not there. The later I see him telling someone else what happened...And sure enough they claim to have seen it. That really fucking kills me.

But my point is as I think Kevin wrote on the wreck...This sport is NOT safe. Never will be due to the nature of it.

And like he said look around...In a few years you will not be seeing one or more of them.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Several weeks after I did my first tandem, there was a plane crash at the DZ. It was on video and on the evening news. It was the plane I jumped from, with the same pilot and one of the instructors who jumped with us. It took me three years before I decided to go skydiving again.

It was a bad month for me, airplane wise. In addition to the DZ crash, I saw a plane crash in front of me, the immediate aftermath of a second, and then a third crashed into my friend's backyard.

Been jumpin for 7 1/2 years. Personally known 3 who were killed skydiving. I was only witness to one. Also knew 5 who were killed in a plane crash. Have personally witnessed more horrific injuries than I can count. I really SUCKS.