banesanura

DOOR MONSTER

Any answers/suggestions on how to alleviate the anxiety when I get to the door?

In order for me to get my A license I have to do some hop/pops but my exit is so bad. I get so nervous that I botch my exit everytime. I recover quickly, but I fear that this is something that has to be improved before I even attempt a hop/pop.

Any ideas what to do to get me less nervous?
Best Girl Scout Ever.

Any questions how to alleviate the anxiety when I get to the door?

On the ground...visualize going to the door and let yourself feel the anxiety. Take a deep, deep breath and let the anxiety go. Keep doing that until you feel less anxious about going to the door.

Think about these things:

If you're on the plane and have decided that you want to jump and commited to going out, ask yourself if feeling anxiety about the door is doing you any good.

It's normal to feel anxious about jumping, but there is no need to blame it on the door in particular. Try to think about that too. There isn't really a "door monster" right?

Does focusing on the door or the anxiety help your exit or hurt it?

Keep visualizing the door and letting the anxiety go until it's not your focus.
Owned by Remi #?

Any questions how to alleviate the anxiety when I get to the door?

In order for me to get my A license I have to do some hop/pops but my exit is so bad. I get so nervous that I botch my exit everytime. I recover quickly, but I fear that this is something that has to be improved before I even attempt a hop/pop.

You have to do some hop and pops?
How many?
From which altitude?

?

dudeist skydiver # 3105

I was wondering the same thing, only one is required as far as I know, the first jump off of AFF.

Banesanura, damn you've been jumping your cute butt off! :)
Keep it up. When you exit, just remember to face the wind with your arms and legs in the boxman position. Upper arms straight out from the shoulders and lower arms at 90 degree angles, and the upper legs split 70 to 90 degrees with the lower legs bent slightly. These are just approximates, not absolutes. Just remember to relax. If you go out rigidly, you will bobble in the airstream. Relax, relax, relax, relax... Just repeat in your mind to keep limber and don't tense up and you will do just fine. :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I got my AFF 7 in roughly 2 hours, first solo exit for me, I got the worst door anxiety of anyone... nearly don't even want to go to the dropzone it's that bad.

Don't even get me started on hop n pops, I'll probably end up deploying either on my back or at like 1000ft.

I hosed my exit for my H&P but quickly returned to my belly in time to pull. Don't worry relax. Smile and take a deep breath let your training take you. You know what to do. You can do it. Remember that you can do it.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

My 2 cents ...

Expect it and be ready to feel it again! When you see that is about the time when they open the door tell yourself: I've been here before I know what I'm going to feel next, I'm about to feel fear as they open that door. Here comes!
Because you're expecting it, it wont surprize you and it wont kidnap most of your attention so you'll have some left to focus on your actions.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

I know exactly what you are feeling! I just got my A license. There are a few things I did that helped me tremendously. Don’t get caught up bull shitting with the other skydivers while getting to altitude. Just focus on everything you are going to do. Check your handles and pilot chute at least 4 times during the ride. This will just get you in the habit of checking and making sure everything is secure and stays secure. Below are the tips I got that helped me the most.

1. Once you are seated and your seatbelt is fastened, close your eyes and think about your skydive. I did not get nervous until after 5000 feet! So I would keep my eyes closed for most of the ride, just thinking about every part of the skydive. Sometimes it helps to speak each step in your skydive.

2. Go through the skydive in your head in the same order you are planning on doing them in.

3. Don’t worry about having a perfect exit. Just jump out and arch hard! You will be amazed how fast you become stable.

These are all things that will help focus your mind on positive things rather than thinking about how nervous you are.

The drop zone I got my A license from “Skydive Arizona” allowed me to do the hop and pop whenever I wanted. So, I did it around jump 20. When you do your solo jumps try to focus on being stable. Think about your legs having positive pressure so you are not ass sliding across the sky.

Good Luck and keep your profile up-to-date with your jump numbers. Keep posting your questions and success stories. ;) Keep super detailed notes in your log book about each skydive and read them every day so you do not forget what you learned from each skydive.

Blue Skies

Daniel

You say you botch your exit, but then recover. What kind of plane are you jumping from and exactly what happens when you jump? What did your jumpmaster say you needed to work on?

Anxiety in the door is a very normal, common emotion for novice jumpers. I've actually seen psychology texts that use learning to skydive as a classic example of approach/avoidance conflict. With that said, the best way to beat that emotion is through relaxation techniques, positive visualization, and repeated exposure (more jumpsB|).

As far as performing better, a good instructor can pick out what part of your technique is being done incorrectly and help you practice to do the exits correctly. Do you understand the concept of relative wind on exit? It's hard to do a good H/P exit if you don't. How is your presentation to the wind and your arch? Both of these are critical to success. Is your pull technique good, or do you de-arch or twist at the waist when you pull? Your pull position needs arch in it, and should be a stable body position.

Some A/C are easier to exit stably than others. Some styles of exits are easier than others. Spend some time on the ground with a good instructor, practicing your exits. Repetitive practice is often the key ingredient to success. Good luck. :)

Don’t get caught up bull shitting with the other skydivers while getting to altitude. Just focus on everything you are going to do.

Actually I found it easier to talk to others on the plane, it helped keep my mind off the door. What works for one person may not work for another...
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

You say you botch your exit, but then recover. What kind of plane are you jumping from and exactly what happens when you jump? What did your jumpmaster say you needed to work on?

Anxiety in the door is a very normal, common emotion for novice jumpers. I've actually seen psychology texts that use learning to skydive as a classic example of approach/avoidance conflict. With that said, the best way to beat that emotion is through relaxation techniques, positive visualization, and repeated exposure (more jumpsB|).

As far as performing better, a good instructor can pick out what part of your technique is being done incorrectly and help you practice to do the exits correctly. Do you understand the concept of relative wind on exit? It's hard to do a good H/P exit if you don't. How is your presentation to the wind and your arch? Both of these are critical to success. Is your pull technique good, or do you de-arch or twist at the waist when you pull? Your pull position needs arch in it, and should be a stable body position.

Some A/C are easier to exit stably than others. Some styles of exits are easier than others. Spend some time on the ground with a good instructor, practicing your exits. Repetitive practice is often the key ingredient to success. Good luck. :)

Its the presentation when I step out of the plane that is the problem. I jumped 5 times one day witht the goal of making a clean exit, however when I step out- I always (subconsciously) look down so my arch isn't there when I step out.

Then the second after I step out of the plane I realize that I am falling and I arch and become stable. Deployment is fine I am able to keep stable at that point.

Its just the exit that needs work. I think perhaps this is something that will go away with time...
Best Girl Scout Ever.

I had similar issues with my exits as a student.. what I found helped was to look into the plane as I exited. Since the next group out was usually a tandem I'd try to watch the vidiot climb out.. It worked for me, but as I said earlier, what works for one person may not work for the next.
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

You may try to get a coach, or just the next person out of the plane to hold out some fingers for you to count when you leave. Your goal is to tell them how many fingers they held up when you get down. This will force you to look up at the plane, and may help your exit.

Bill

Banesanura, damn you've been jumping your cute butt off!

Tell him how you really feel, eh Billy?

Or would you only give this kind of condescending encouragment to a woman and not a man?

What really matters, man? That cute ass? Your manhood? Someone's safety regardless?

Fuck that shit and that attitude.
Owned by Remi #?

I always think the sky is MY play ground! When I did it for a living I would tell myself the plane is the elevator and the sky is my office and I can hardly wait to go to work! Relax, relax. Watch the plane fly away that will keep your head up. Kind of fun also. Be sure to okay any advice given here with your instructor.

Blue Skies!

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

I got my AFF 7 in roughly 2 hours, first solo exit for me, I got the worst door anxiety of anyone... nearly don't even want to go to the dropzone it's that bad.

Don't even get me started on hop n pops, I'll probably end up deploying either on my back or at like 1000ft.

No you won't, Chubba! Because you'll do some practice exits at altitude to establish confidence that you CAN do it on your hop & pop. It's hard to relax when you're not confident. While breathing deeply, visualize yourself over and over exiting perfectly and then practice it. You're gonna' do GREAT!

Let us know how great it turned out afterward, OK?
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

Pretend you're brave, and smile!

Ask the person sitting by the door when you exit to smile and wave at you. Then keep eyes on that person as you leave, keep smiling at him until he's out of sight.

Works for me!!!! :)
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

however when I step out- I always (subconsciously) look down so my arch isn't there when I step out.

A very common problem. Try more ground practice from the mock up, forcing your head back until you feel your helmet on top of the reserve. People tend to do halfway in the air what they practice on the ground, so some exaggeration is okay. Visualize watching the plane fall "up" away from you as you keep your eyes on it during exit. Also remember that you can look down and still keep an arch. The body tends to follow the head, but doesn't have to. With the old style front mounted ripcords we had to train to look down at the handle without breaking the arch. Not a natural motion, but certainly learnable.

It sounds like you're presenting to the relative wind okay. Are you jumping from an Otter? Also, don't worry about little bobbles and wobbles on exit. That's very common on sub-terminal air. If you're not upside down, spinning or tumbling, you're doing okay. B|

Did my first solo exit today :D I think my door anxiety is gone.

The door opened, spot was picked within 5 seconds and the go order was given... absolutely spaz dive exit (Cessna 182), at least I got to see the plane while tumbling like a madman.

Awesome jump, went through my first cloud B|

3 AFF1's today, plenty of beer had by all.

Banesanura, damn you've been jumping your cute butt off!

Tell him how you really feel, eh Billy?

Or would you only give this kind of condescending encouragment to a woman and not a man?

What really matters, man? That cute ass? Your manhood? Someone's safety regardless?

Fuck that shit and that attitude.

I am totally confused.
Best Girl Scout Ever.

I think, for some reason, that labrys thinks you're a dude. Either that, or he was trying to point out the sexism of billy's statement by pointing out how obviously condescending the same statement would be if delivered to a man. Or perhaps a combination of the two.

Remember that at the moment of exit, the relative wind is coming at you horizontally from the direction of the aircrafts path of flight. So if you are doing a stable belly exit, you will be oriented vertically (relative to the ground) as if you were standing up.

Easiest way to do a stable belly exit is to leave the plane with your eyes on the horizon in the the direction of flight, (looking in the same direction as the pilot). Then as you fall away, keep your eyes on the plane. This will keep you flat to the relative wind.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.