Psychonaut

What canopy should I try next?

Just been demo'ing a Safire2 149 loaded at barely 1.0.

History of canopies are Sabre2 150, ZP.exe 155, Pilot 150.

Being the beanpole I am feel that I'm not getting as much out of the canopies that they have to offer. The Pilot was nice, great openings as well as landings. The Safire2 hasn't seemed much different, I was actually expecting it to be a little more agressive than it is. Rear riser pressure is easy and nice, although I really have to put my body into the fronts and can only hold that for a 180 barely. Landing with no wind I could tippie toe it and take a step or two.

So what I was thinking is try a Safire2 139, or perhaps a Sabre2 135 which would be my bottom line for the time being.

Does anyone have any ideas or recomendations? Can I answer any questions to help establish anything? I'm just sub-100 jumps, and I'm only ~130 dry. Always have had a knack for canopy control, never had to PLF or anything but I feel that's only because I'm floating like a leaf for the most part still.

Thanks guys..
Stay high pull low

My recommendation: stay with a 150 @ 1.0 for the next 200 jumps or so. A 135 is a HP canopy, regardless of your weight. I was the same weight as you a few years ago (:$) and that's what I did: spectre 150 for my first canopy, followed by a spectre 135 at 300 and then a safire 135 (= 125 sqft) at 350-400 jumps.
I've seen other light/featherweights crash and burn with 135 and 120 canopies way too soon. There is no way you have seen it all and can fly a 150 with all it's got @ 100 jumps, keep at it ;)

A sabre2 150 is the most HP you should jump for the time being IMO, you can learn anything you need to on that for the next 200 jumps.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

My recommendation: stay with a 150 @ 1.0 for the next 200 jumps or so. A 135 is a HP canopy, regardless of your weight. I was the same weight as you a few years ago (:$) and that's what I did: spectre 150 for my first canopy, followed by a spectre 135 at 300 and then a safire 135 (= 125 sqft) at 350-400 jumps.
I've seen other light/featherweights crash and burn with 135 and 120 canopies way too soon. There is no way you have seen it all and can fly a 150 with all it's got @ 100 jumps, keep at it ;)

A sabre2 150 is the most HP you should jump for the time being IMO, you can learn anything you need to on that for the next 200 jumps.

I agree with you in every aspect, but the only change being I feel there is one more step on the ladder rather than having the 150 my base.

I've done the checklists, landed downwind, all of that stuff. There's definitely more I could learn, more I need to experience and have to deal with, more to get comfortable with, but I feel that I can do this starting one step down. I know when talking here online it's all about numbers and forumals and protocols but I mean, the 150'ish canopies I've been on are just, a hair too big. I'd like to have to run out a few steps on a landing into no wind, not be able to land on an egg without breaking it!

I'll admit I'm skeptical on the Sabre2 135, and that's sort of the reason I'm asking. I feel that the Safire2 139 might be the perfect fit between the Sabre2 135 and 150?
Stay high pull low

I'll admit I'm skeptical on the Sabre2 135, and that's sort of the reason I'm asking.

If your skeptical, then dont do it!

I was skeptical on buying a 135 for my first canopy, which more than one person suggested I do (Im about 115 out the door). I ended up buying a Spectre 150, and I love it.

Maybe you should demo a Spectre...

I'll admit I'm skeptical on the Sabre2 135, and that's sort of the reason I'm asking.

I was skeptical on buying a 135 for my first canopy, which more than one person suggested I do (Im about 115 out the door). I ended up buying a Spectre 150, and I love it.

Skepticism isn't always a bad thing!

The spectre is on my list, but I'm just not sure how I'll like it compared to 9 cell glide characteristics..
Stay high pull low

The reason why a 150 is a better choice is because you can take more chances with it -- i.e. push the envelope a little more if you're wanting to really learn everything your canopy can do.

Any canopy can scare you if you torment it enough -- but it will take noticeably less torment for a 135 to scare you, which means that you'll have to approach some skills more slowly, instead of just digging in.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'd like to have to run out a few steps on a landing into no wind

That's easy. Don't finish your flare. ;)

You want to go faster... are you adding speed on your approaches on the canopy you are flying? If not, there's no good reason for you to downsize at this point; there's still plenty of speed and performance left in the 150 that you haven't even begun to explore.

The reason why a 150 is a better choice is because you can take more chances with it -- i.e. push the envelope a little more if you're wanting to really learn everything your canopy can do.

Any canopy can scare you if you torment it enough -- but it will take noticeably less torment for a 135 to scare you, which means that you'll have to approach some skills more slowly, instead of just digging in.

Wendy P.

Definitely; I've always had a theory that you need to be at least a tad bit scared, if you aren't then you'll just make careless mistakes. I just haven't really been able to scare myself whatsoever on the 150's, aside from doing something plain dumb eg. on final..

That's easy. Don't finish your flare. ;)

You want to go faster... are you adding speed on your approaches on the canopy you are flying? If not, there's no good reason for you to downsize at this point; there's still plenty of speed and performance left in the 150 that you haven't even begun to explore.

The most I've been doing is ~90 front riser turns doing a little surf, but haven't explored further than that as I haven't really had specific coaching on that yet.
Stay high pull low

I just haven't really been able to scare myself whatsoever on the 150's

Then you're not trying hard enough. You can die on a 150, at your weight. Trust me on this. If you start inducing speed for landings they'll get much sportier.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The most I've been doing is ~90 front riser turns doing a little surf, but haven't explored further than that as I haven't really had specific coaching on that yet.

So keep this wing and go get some good canopy specific coaching. You'll learn things you didn;t know you didn;t know about parachute flight.

I just haven't really been able to scare myself whatsoever on the 150's

Then you're not trying hard enough. You can die on a 150, at your weight. Trust me on this. If you start inducing speed for landings they'll get much sportier.

Wendy P.

I would like to think that I have tried hard enough however in a sense. The only things I can think about that would scare me are things that would just be asinine to try and would result in injury, therefore shouldn't even be considered. I've gone through the lists, worked on flare turns, flat turns, cross and downwind landings, rear riser landings. I do indeed feel quite comfortable with all of these.

Believe me I read what you're saying word for word and appreciate the advice, but if you think about I could say I could die on a navi 260, or a sub 100 velo. I could also die on my commute to the dropzone, but only if you don't take the appropriate precautionary measures and execute things in a safe manner.. ya know?
Stay high pull low

How many times have you landed out on the 150?
Downwind on the pavement, between lions and cocodriles?

seriously, you came asking for advice...take it
...if you want more loading, eat more :P

HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Sounds like you're not asking for advice, but asking for validation.

Wrong! I'm not one of them

Perhaps not one of them.

Maybe eight of them?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

How many times have you landed out on the 150?
Downwind on the pavement, between lions and cocodriles?

+1 Pretty much what I was going to mention. When landing out with no "runway" in front of you it will seem that your canopy is a little higher performance than you really want it to be.

Skepticism isn't always a bad thing!

The spectre is on my list, but I'm just not sure how I'll like it compared to 9 cell glide characteristics..

Yeah its definitely a sinker, but you cant beat the openings ;)

Oh yeah nice advice..

Hey fatties, how about you take exercise if you want to be lighter? But that's not so easy to do is it eh?

How about some real advice, like adding lead instead of this witty shit.. B|
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

From what I read Safire2 has just as good (if not better) long and soft openings..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

I can tell you that I LOVE my Safire2, it's an extremely versatile canopy.

As for the openings... You can easily pack yourself soft sniveling openings by tucking the nose and a good cocoon, or adjust to quicker by still tucking the nose with less cocoon, or no tuck and little cocoon etc... I've found I can have what ever speed opening I want by tweaking the packing.

I agree that the front risers take a fair amount of pressure but if you flare slightly first then pull down on the front risers you will get MUCH more out of it. Talk to someone that really knows this canopy, like I said it's extremely versatile. I learn more about it every jump.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

From what I read Safire2 has just as good (if not better) long and soft openings..

Interesting. Something to keep in mind for when I decide I want something different in a few hundred jumps. :)

Sounds like you're not asking for advice, but asking for validation.

Wrong! I'm not one of them

I'm just sub-100 jumps,. Always have had a knack for canopy control,

Mad Skillz.

I've done the checklists, landed downwind, all of that stuff. There's definitely more I could learn, more I need to experience and have to deal with, more to get comfortable with, but I feel.......

I have Mad Skillz.

I just haven't really been able to scare myself whatsoever on the 150's, aside from doing something plain dumb eg. on final..

Good reason not to downsize.

You are looking for validation, not advice.