jenette

Why are Dolphin containers laugh at in parts of Australia or is it a global thing?

I don't mean to start a war. I was asked why on another thread I steered a A licence jumper away from a Dolphin. The reason being, Dolphins are laughed at in my local DZ and other Aussie DZ's. I didn't want the new jumper to get potentially laughed at. The big question is WHY? Why are Dolphins laughed at.. Is it because its called a Dolphin? I vaguely remember something about deployment.
www.exoticbodypiercing.com.au

The primary reason major parachute dealers (e.g. Square One) hate Dolphins is that there is too small a mark-up for them to turn a profit.
... nor are there enough shiny options on Dolphins to allow them to turn a profit.
IOW When parachute dealers sell Dolphins, they break-even on the containers and have to try to mark up the canopies enough to turn a profit.

The other issue is that Dolphins do not last for ever, maybe a thousand jumps, maybe 2,000 jumps and they have tiny resale values.

From a rigger's perspective, Dolphins pack exactly tht same as Javelins and riggers might make a small profit replacing a bit of Velcro.
OTOH Javelins might last longer before they need sewing repairs, but replacing tuck tab plastics on Javelins is beyond the machines and skill of most field riggers.
(e.g. The only reason I attempt replacing plastic stiffeners in Javelins is because I replaced plastics in dozens of Talons, when I worked at Rigging Innovations for thre years.)

Dolphins are used a lot for student rigs because they are less expensive. They aren't "freefly-friendly" in that the bridle and pin protector flaps aren't as secure as on some other containers. They lack things like hip-rings and lots of padding on leg straps. If you stick to belly flying and you don't want to spend more money on things that are nice-but-not-necessary, Dolphins are good containers.
I can't speak to the Aussie sense of humor, but around here no one would get laughed at for jumping with a Dolphin. They might get laughed at for buying a real expensive rig they don't know how to use.
(Edited to correct spelling)
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Ignorance. Lack of understanding. Fear of not wearing 'The Brand'

ie Picton is a Talon DZ for obvious reasons, the factory is around the corner.

Ripcord in QLD is a Racer DZ because the DZ Owner believes that they are the best rig, Ramblers used to be a Javelin DZ due to having a Jav dealer on site and a lot of my friends jump Wings as I am amongst other dealerships a Wings dealer and thats what I jump.

There is nothing wrong with Dolphins if someone is looking to get started and wants to spend their money on jumping rather than on 'bling'. By the time that someone is ready for a container that is more suited to high speeds for free-fly etc then they will probably want a smaller rig with smaller canopies and so the Dolphin is not really an issue as they would sell it on by then anyhow.

As for the resale issue, looked at the other way around it means that the early jumper coming off student status can get a bargain of a cheap rig and is not going to lose out on much when it comes time to sell it as opposed to buying something with all the bells and whistles which will lose more value over the same period liekly.

Of course feel free to send them my way and I will do them a bargain on a new rig ;)
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Dolphin harness/containers are the Ford Model T… any color you want as long as it is black. There are several of them at my DZ, & nobody cares. Funny thing… they get the job done for a whole lot less than the brands with the big advertising presences.

One way I look at it is that an inexpensive Dolphin with an AAD, is probably a lot smarter (safer) for a new jumper than a fancy H/c without an AAD… yet both cost about the same.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

They aren't "freefly-friendly" in that the bridle and pin protector flaps aren't as secure as on some other containers.

I've been jumping Dolphin rigs on/off for the past 10 years, and the new Dolphin containers are definitely freefly friendly. Altico has added sufficient bridle and pin protection, tuck flaps that stay closed when needed, and open well during deployment, and the company will add some "bling" such as stainless steel hardware now.

Anywho, we sell several a year, and the skydivers that buy them freefly in them without issue...including me.

Older Dolphins, prior to 2000, aren't freefly friendly. And no, they don't have as much padding or color options. And the resale value is usually very low. But the Dolphin is still a great choice for a container for many skydivers. And you can't beat the customer service from the owner.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

I owned a Dolphin for my first 300 jumps and I routinly repack and maintain these rigs for some of my rigging customers - I'd like to reiterate what ChutingStar said in regards to post 2000 Dolphins being much more Freefly friendly. I have one in my closet that is owned by a local pilot - and it has the full riser tuck tabs, full bridle protection, and IMHO is just as freefly friendly as a Javelin. As far as I can tell, the cut of the thing is identical to a Javelin, minus the bells & whistles.

'Freefly Friendly' is always a funny word, I think. As far as I can tell, the modern definition of this term is "What the cool Freeflyers Jump." In that regards, the newer Dolphins are Definitely not 'freefly friendly.' :P

=========Shaun ==========

Are the freebags and reserve PC's still a dark color? The only reason I found the combo on my Wings after the last chop was due to the safety green color of the freebag! Those things are expensive to replace.

The last Dolphin freebag I looked at only had a square shaped stitch holding the reserve bridle onto the freebag. The other container manufactures had another "X" stitch inside the square for more strength, so it seems.

Why the difference and are they still stitched that way?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hi Dave,

Just some info for you. About three weeks ago I stitched up a sample for personal testing. I took a length of 1" Type 4 webbing; I put a 2" long Box X stitch onto it. All sewing with 'E' thread. I then tested it to over 260 lbs and it held with not one indication of any failure.

I doubt that a pilot chute will exert 250 lbs of force onto a bridle/free bag at any time during deployment.

JerryBaumchen

safety green color of the freebag

you have to be jumping in an arid area - no way to find any green stuff in lush green fields and vegetation hereabout
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I read through the thread and the basic thought I have (from experience) is the "D" is a GOOD rig. Cost is low and it is a solid option.. Does it have all the bells ans whistles?? --> NO compared to the "modern" rig options but it is reliable and workable.. The newer versions might be comparable and the "Pre" about 2000 versions, you have Velcro but there are upgrades and tuck tab upgrades like on the newer versions to make it a more Free Fly Friendly rig....

Basically it is a solid workable container. primary or secondary, depending on needs, it is a good option..... I have had about 3 of them over the years and would get another for a back up rig no questions... Look at a V3, Wings, Odyssey, Mirage, Infinity, or a Talon FS, you can argue they are a better option but most of it is fluff in a lot of respects, the "D" is a good workable safe option..

Laugh if they like but a Dolphin owner probably is on the same jump for about 50% less....

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

safety green color of the freebag

you have to be jumping in an arid area - no way to find any green stuff in lush green fields and vegetation hereabout

This color:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326728_200326728?cm_ven=Aggregates&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Safety%3ESafety%20Vests%20%2B%20Apparel&cm_ite=1719950?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=1719950

I'm not sure what sort of mutant plants you have, but I bet this will show up. Its the color used internationally as a safety color for people working in traffic or hazardous areas.

Hi Dave,

Just some info for you. About three weeks ago I stitched up a sample for personal testing. I took a length of 1" Type 4 webbing; I put a 2" long Box X stitch onto it. All sewing with 'E' thread. I then tested it to over 260 lbs and it held with not one indication of any failure.

I doubt that a pilot chute will exert 250 lbs of force onto a bridle/free bag at any time during deployment.

JerryBaumchen

Thank you for the reply.

The next question is, what added strength would the 'X' in the middle of the square add, why would other manufactures do it and at what extra cost would that small attention to detail add to the overall cost of the Dolphin?

Older Dolphins, prior to 2000, aren't freefly friendly. And

So part of their bad reputation is from people seeing the older rigs for many years. (I haven't seen the newer ones.)

It wasn't just that the older rigs didn't measure up in bridle/riser/pin protection, but that the company took so long to change things. There were quite a few years where basically everyone in the sport realized people wanted/needed/deserved more freefly friendly gear, for any jumper, but Altico took forever to change things. It made the company look just plain stupid.

Because most Aussies are more impressed with something shiney, than functional?

Are you implying that the shiny stuff are less functional?

Are you implying that he is implying?

Sangi, what did you say in the other thread about Dolphins?

Too much velcro that wears out? Not really practical, when you have to replace it constantly (longetivity wise)...

Why would you want a mega velcro rig when you can get a normal one and use it in any discipline without any fear..

Read more, type less.

What I am implying is that "if" what the OP is saying is true, then to point at a Dolphin and laugh is undeserving of a damn fine rig and says more about those pointing; than it says about the Dolphin.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Because most Aussies are more impressed with something shiney, than functional?

Are you implying that the shiny stuff are less functional?

Are you implying that the shiny stuff is MORE functional?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Most Dolphins - made pre-2000 - were not freefly friendly.
Most pre-2000 Javelins are not freefly friendly.
Most pre-2000 Racers are not freefly friendly.
Most pre-2000 Infinities are not freefly friendly.
Most pre-2000 Vectors are not freefly friendly.
Most pre-2000 Sidewinder are not freefly friendly.
Most ....
What is the difference?