Deuce

F8ck him! Let him die, not my problem, not the DZ's problem.

I have had some of the best yell at me, Tom Piras in particular, it was harsh, but I knew I deserved it! The thing to remember is 99% of the time they are just frustrated at seeing someone they cared for having been killed by doing something really stupid! Then to see someone else repeat the same scenario, not a good mixture.
blue skies,

art

I have had some of the best yell at me, Tom Piras in particular, it was harsh, but I knew I deserved it! The thing to remember is 99% of the time they are just frustrated at seeing someone they cared for having been killed by doing something really stupid! Then to see someone else repeat the same scenario, not a good mixture.

Hell Carl would just hit you...Hard
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

If the answer is "I don't know, but (powerful personality) vouches for him, so, whatever." Maybe you need to find a safer place to jump.

How many people here have actually switched DZ's because of an unsafe jumper or unsafe attitude?

Its easy to talk the talk... but as I'm starting to learn its much harder to walk the walk.

We as skydivers need to spread the word in the community that this "god" is not all he is cut out to be.

This "god" can also be people in authority at places too. I have seen a DZO that allowed people to do a hit and chug, repack and do round two next load. How do I know I the DZO knew? He's the one that put the beer out and flew the plane. Or the S&TA that sold a 125lb girl off student status a container that would hold no larger then a 120 main.

Its hard to tell someone that they are being unsafe when you have the DZO or S&TA in their "god" modes telling them its ok. [:/]
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I just have to wonder however, if that is any worse than being pixiefied

Dang ... I haven't been Burked yet (knock on wood ... great man to talk to though), but I seem to recall being Pixiefied at the Holiday boogie. Or did I just get off easy? :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I just have to wonder however, if that is any worse than being pixiefied

Well, the Pixie will walk into your trailer (she has keys to EVERYTHING at SDA) and put her hands on her Pantz-clad hips, look down at you in your bunk and say "I thought you were going to fly camera on load one".

Then, under that glacial blue-steel gaze, I can get dressed and rigged (make coffee to deglaciate the gaze) and on load two at inhuman speed.

Getting Pixiefied is not better or worse than getting Burked, just different.

For one, Burke just doesn't look the same in Pantz.

;)

>Well, the Pixie will walk into your trailer (she has keys to EVERYTHING
>at SDA) and put her hands on her Pantz-clad hips . . .

You know, I've tried wearing those things around, mainly to have one less thing to haul to the DZ - and they're like wearing plastic garbage bags on your legs. Yuck.

How many people here have actually switched DZ's because of an unsafe attitude?

*raises hand*

It wasn't the only reason, but it's one of the main ones I won't go back. :|

Its easy to talk the talk... but as I'm starting to learn its much harder to walk the walk.

Easier than you think. You just need to find another dz.....maybe one up north.....B|

This "god" can also be people in authority at places too. I have seen a DZO that allowed people to do a hit and chug, repack and do round two next load. How do I know I the DZO knew? He's the one that put the beer out and flew the plane. Or the S&TA that sold a 125lb girl off student status a container that would hold no larger then a 120 main.

Or the S&TA that condones people killing themselves as long as they don't take anyone out with them and duct tapes canopies together. Or the DZO that tells people to punch anyone who gives safety lectures in the face. Or the DZO that tells the S&TA to not say anything if certain jumpers nearly cause incidents just because he likes the said jumpers. Yep, seen it all, probably haven't seen the end of it. [:/]

Its hard to tell someone that they are being unsafe when you have the DZO or S&TA in their "god" modes telling them its ok. [:/]

Especially when the DZO or S&TA are uneducated about certain disciplines. As an example, to have a style/accuracy champ tell a freeflyer/swooper how great his skills are is the same as Michael Jordan telling some kid he's a great hockey player.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

How many people here have actually switched DZ's because of an unsafe jumper or unsafe attitude?

I haven't because my DZ is cool... But if for some reason I had to SDC is only and extra hour or so. I would imagine its a lot harder if there are no DZs that are at least moderatly close.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

You say your DZ is cool now, but what happens if you suddenly wake up and take a look around a year from now and see lots of things going on that you suddenly feel are unsafe? Is the DZ still as cool? Would you leave?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You say your DZ is cool now, but what happens if you suddenly wake up and take a look around a year from now and see lots of things going on that you suddenly feel are unsafe? Is the DZ still as cool? Would you leave?

Hi PhreeZone

"Breaking up is hard to do".

But eventually every jumper will be faced with making the decision when it's time to pull the plug, either due to safety, politic's, change in prioities etc.

Everyone has to listen to that little voice that says this just isn't worth it anymore. It's hard to do but you can always change your mind sometime in the future and work your way back up.

R.I.P.

>I think now, right now, that I understand
>why you have quit the sport.

"Put your good where it will do the most." (Ken Kesey)
is what comes to mind for one half of this thread.

But for the other half, feeling like doing some good
in the first place, I've been all over the map, sometimes
all fired up, other times deep in the fuckits.

One thing's clear, quitting the sport won't get you away
from the stupidity and frustration. I can see more of that
in five minutes of evening news than the whole skydiving
world has produced in the last 50 years.

It reminds me of the 60s when everybody was running
off to India to get spiritual, only to find out some time
later that where ever you happen to be at the moment
is a good place to start.

I still have trouble accepting that I can't change the
whole world, and sometimes get really frustrated and
bent out of shape at some of the stuff I see.

But I also know that my effect is not zero, a few students
here, a few students there is not zero.

Maybe what's different now is a more realistic estimate
of where I fit in the scheme of things.

It's only taken 62 years. It's not that I'm particularly
slow, it's that the journey is much longer than I first
thought.

So all that's my way of saying that I hope you guys
don't give up.

Skr

One thing's clear, quitting the sport won't get you away
from the stupidity and frustration.

Yes, it will. The B.S factor in my life went way down went I stopped going to the DZ.

Hi Derek

I agree when the B.S. factor exceeds the fun factor at the DZ we have control over that.:)
Same with the B.S, negative stuff on the news:( No Problem I don't go there any more either problem solved:)
A couple of weeks ago I was surprised to find out the post office was closed on friday because a X president died. :)
B.S. at work, don't do that anymore either. I "retired at 46 y.o.

Still married:)
Life is good, We're still getting older:)
R.I.P.

One of the all-time great ones came out to see what the f*ck I was thinking when I downwinded (in about 20mph winds) at Eloy.

"You gotta be smarter than that..."

I was the Burkee.

Maybe you deserved, and I would have taken it just as calmly as you did, But a downwinder may be better than a low 180 turn coupled with target fixation. We got some guys in the hospital right now who chose that route and it didn't work out.

Being able to take landing option two or three when the obvious one has "closed out" on you and live is a skill, landing downwind should be a skill practiced. Just don't go making a habit of it!

I'm trying to think about stuff to say to tell you that you're wrong. That the DZ is a family and you don't abandon family when tragedy and confict happen. I'm trying, but that's all bulls**t.

I started my own DZ 'cause I thought I could get away from the bulls**t and the bulls**t just reared it's ugly head.

I couldn't stand the drug use at my former DZ and I found that there were people at my DZ just as bad. I had no power to stop it.

I wanted to influence the safety on my DZ but wound up being called an old granny who holds people back.

I wanted to teach people all that I had learned through 12 yrs of being at a dropzone every f**kin' day. I sacrificed years of fun jumps for training thousands of FJs, coaching and being involved in the drop zone.
But it means nothing to them.

I've seen death. I've seen maiming. I've seen totally preventable accidents.
I've seen history repeat itself again and again. The faces are different but the characters are all the same.
Arrogant pricks always think they're right! That they know it all. That if they don't know it, it's not worth knowing.
You must feel like me. Like a painter in the world of the blind.
I doesn't matter what you know. It doesn't matter what you've seen. There's always those who think YOU'RE the idiot.
And then they go out and prove that you were right after all.
I f**kin' hate being f**kin' right!>:(

The only thing that keeps me going is the few people who listen and become great coaches and great instructors. When they make a difference then I've made a difference.

Sorry, I got lost there and made it about me, but the feelings I can relate to all too well. I hate having people resent me for protecting them from themselves.
But I didn't, if I quit or chased them off the DZ, who would be there for them.

Look brother, your welcome at my DZ anytime you get the urge again. You have some like minded individuals here. Take the break you need but don't go for good. We need all right thinking people we can get.[:/]

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

B.S. at work, don't do that anymore either. I "retired at 46 y.o.

That's pretty young RIP; were you a Microsoft Samurai or 'ya doing the 5150 thing?

Hi Rms

Never heard of the 5150 thing. To old for microssoft.

To quote a famous old skydiver in response to a T.V. interviewers question if there was anything he wouldn't do. Pappy told me don't shoot heroin or work for the Gov't.

I worked for the FEDs:S Got a early out with 25 yr's service any age. (46Y.O.) reduced annutity.:(

There is no gov't conspiracy, not all gov't employee's are bad people, but if your in the wrong job at the wrong time with the wrong folks, The B.S. can get really deep. No kids, no debts no reason to stay. B|

R.I.P.

Trying to do the right thing will make you unpopular in skydiving

Amen.

But I'm not done yet...I still have things I want to do....
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Thanks for the invite and sharing my pain;), but I'm done. Skydiving will never change, so I won't be back.

Derek

Back? You never left. You are still right here very much immersed in the same ol' same ol. Its still not out of your system. Regardless if you frequent the danger zone or not.

Don't get me wrong Derek I'm not trying to push you out just pointing out something

Back? You never left. You are still right here very much immersed in the same ol' same ol. Its still not out of your system. Regardless if you frequent the danger zone or not.

Don't get me wrong Derek I'm not trying to push you out just pointing out something

True, but I don't go to DZ's anymore. I would like to jump and that is probably why I still hang out at DZ.com, but the two aren't exactly the same. Evntually, I won't come here anymore either. I just hate to throw away what I spent so much energy to learn. It is probably also my way of showing people what they have lost, not that they care. I could be a an asset to a DZ.

Derek

It is probably also my way of showing people what they have lost, not that they care.

Actually, there are people that care and are glad you're still hanging around willing to share your knowledge. Just because some people give you a serious line of grief and B.S., doesn't mean that there aren't an equal number of people sitting back and learning from you - even if they don't say something.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I appreciate that, I really do. But I fell tremendously short of my goal of fixing the root problems. I had small successes along the way, but I can't change the real problems. What did I get for trying? Alienated. So now I can speak out w/o repercussions, hat are they going to do? Ban me?:ph34r:

Still won't change anything, but I fell better.:)
Derek