6" pro-comp coil over w/lift
35" Pro-comp MT
Warn 12k-lbs wench
Dana 60's front and rear
air lockers, front and rear
onboard welder

There, that's what you need.B|

Just a few changes and NOW its perfect.:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I bought a '79 CJ-5 in '89....it's now got 150K+ on it....it is a rock. Original tranny, but I blew the motor at 115K, and replaced it with a new 304.

The only drawback is the FI, as has been stated here already. That and cutting out the door openings are the only things I've been considering doing. I'm a big guy....the 7s are much easier to get in and out of.

I don't like driving it much over 65 mph, because it IS a little unstable much higher than that, plus the big tires tend to wander across the road, but it's more of a daily in-town driver and backwoods plaything than a road-trip vehicle to me. Your decision should be based on what you really plan on doing with it. Mostly roadwork with a little light 4-wheeling on the weekends ? Or primarily for serious off-road stuff ?

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Just a note on the CJ5's..

I've got a 71 and learned a fair amount in the process... The usual assumption is that jeep parts are easy to find. Not so true for years 68-71. From 72 -76 isn't bad and from 76+ the parts got relatively cheap and easy to find..

If you plan on going places with more than one person or plan to pack lotsa gear, you'll find that you run out of space quickly in the 5. The 7's simply provide larger cargo space and bigger doors for bigger people gettin in em..

The CJ5s areconsiderably smaller(wheelbase) than just about anything out there. Good if you need to get into teeny places and good for 4 wheeling clearance, bad for city driving stability and a bit scary on steep rutty hill climbs..

Of course then there's always the challenge of finding a jeep that hasn't been absolutely thrashed, rollled and rusted..

I've got both a 47 cj2a and a 71 cj5..

enjoy..

I'm looking for an open-air car for a second vehicle. I'm open to anything from 1960-1994. I want to do off-roading and cruising.

I've put 40,000 miles on a Chevy Blazer in the last year and a half, traveling around the country, hiking and camping. It's taken me everywhere, including a lot of brutal off-road locations, with 4-wheel drive. It's never let me down. It's big enough to haul a lot of gear, and to sleep in back of when the weather gets inclement. And it has a 6-cylinder engine so that you get decent fuel economy, compared to the bigger trucks. I love that truck. As for open-air, you can roll the windows down. When you want to cool off, it's easy to put the windows up and turn on the AC.

i have a jeep wrangler although its a 1995... thing has 161000 miles..... and is still holding strong...been to jeep jamboree a couple of times with her and i love her to death...

i am a jeep girl for life.

only thing i have had to get fixed was the starter, radiator, fuel pump and slave and master cylinders....
other than that nothing but tune ups and oil changes

Wow, you know a lot about jeeps.
I just picked up my 'project' a couple of months ago.
Haven't really started on it though. Hope it's done within the year. With help it might be possible.
It's a '73 CJ-5.
It came with both 304 and 360. The 304 is currently installed but I hope to go with the 360. It came with two T-5's and a Scout T-18 with the Scout Dana 300 TC. Again, I hope to go with the T-18 but I think I need to convert the long T-18 input shaft to the short style. I've heard this is possible. Any experience?
Like I said, (for me) it's a big project.

I had a '75 CJ-5 about 20 years ago. I remember it was a lot of fun and got me in all kinds of trouble.

Man, you got me! Other than a 350 conversion(which you can by the kit for) I have only done research on Wranglers. If you looked on a few of the posting boards, I am sure you could find the info you need! :)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Get a Wrangler Sport or X.

The Saharas have hard fender flares that explode on contact.

Here's a couple shots of mine.

2002 Sport w/3" Black Diamond suspension lift, and 33 X 12.50 Goodrich A/Ts.

The disconnectable front swaybar is the ticket for maximum suspension articulation.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

Atlas II transfer with a terra-low

The Atlas comes low no need to convert. The terra is for standard transfer cases.

Dana 60's front and rear

Do you really want the weight and bulk of a dually under carriage on a 1/2 ton truck when built nines & 44s don't break.

onboard welder

Agreed, did some welding with one of these units. They are very nice indeed.

More changes

I've had two Jeep so far...

A 1979 Jeep CJ-7 and

a 1994 Jeep Wrangler

Both lived honorably.

The CJ-7 was my very first vehicle in high school (1988). It had a 360 ci engine with 3-on the floor. I used to do wheelies with it. F'n bad ass!!!

The Wrangler was sold about 3 years ago at 107,000 miles for about $6k. I took good care of the thing; but still, that is a kick ass resale if you ask me.

I miss owning a Jeep but it was an impractical vehicle if you have tons of gear for sports (i.e skydiving). Hope my info helped. :)
Good luck!!!!

I think Jeeps are cool!

I was behind an accident once where someone ran a red light and hit a wrangler. The cadillac that hit the jeep was pretty banged up. The jeep was on its side. A bunch of guys went over, uprighted the Jeep and the guy drove off - the cadillac couldn't do that.

I was amazed!

Jen
Arianna Frances

See, that's why the guys that are serious about wheeling, don't have pretty looking rigs with plastic crap on it, like that one. That's also why their paint jobs come from rattle cans.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

See, that's why the guys that are serious about wheeling, don't have pretty looking rigs with plastic crap on it, like that one. That's also why their paint jobs come from rattle cans.

Oh Brother. . . . . . :S

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."