skyesspot

A personal decision...

You can always try again... maybe you just need new flint to make the spark.

Hang out on the forums for a while, I'll give you odds that you start to miss skydiving.

If not, well, so be it. You're still a skydiver to us. :)
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

OK, well, if you are not interested in Skydiving right now, or not happy with it.. Then that decision might be right for you. At least for now..:(

But, if you still want to try. If you still find it fun or exciting. Then you may just need a different view or a different point of view for your training..

There is NOTHING WRONG with visiting a different DZ or changing your training to a different location.. Bring your log book, talk to the new DZ.. You may have to repeat a jump, but you may enjoy the new perspective..

Wow, I had to stop and anwser the phone, so you probably have a bunch of answers already:P

Byron is great with Connie, Vick, Chop, JP, and all.. But there is still Hollister and Monterey Bay... People have switched training before and worked it out;). If you go to Holister, give SEB a smack on the butt for me..

If you want to jump this weekend, I will be at SMB both days. Come ON DOWN:)

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

Are you packing it in because you've decided you aren't interested, or are there other (emotional, economic) reasons?

AFF is thought of as the best way to progress in skydiving...

...to my mind, however, it has a couple of significant drawbacks:

It's pricey, and high-pressure. When I was an advanced student, I could have gone AFF, but I don't do pressure. Hence, it took me nearly 60 jumps to get my A. :o:D...

You say your instructor remarked that "there's no spark" - exactly what did the instructor mean? Maybe you're like me and don't cope well with other people putting a lot of performance anxiety on you.

Have you considered switching instructors, or going to a different DZ, or trying a different method, such as static line (lower pressure and much cheaper, but much slower progression too)?

Whatever you choose, we'll respect your decision, but please be sure what your motives are.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Nothing is over til we decide it is..... ( no i'm not going to do this bit again) Ha.
Hey Babe, It's something a lot of us have thought about in the beginning. If you really want to fly bad enough, you're not leaving or quitting. But you DO have to decide. Deciding not to jump is just as cool as deciding to jump. The fact that you made up your mind is good. You do what is right for you at the moment. If you change your mind for some reason, there are tons of hope and many chances that you will become one of the best skydivers around. This new way of living (skydving) takes a little getting used to. Glad you tried it a few times.

Okay.. need to clarify a few things...

Thanks to everyone for still making me feel welcome. It put a very big smile on my face!! :)
As for my reasons... Not economical (I was working at manifest so I was paying for it that way). And the spark comment came about because I was talking to one of my instructors and said "I don't get that 'gotta get back in the air' feeling". So the response was "so there isn't a spark?" I agreed with that.

I do have quite a bit of emotional and stressful stuff in my life right now (working 7 days a week, sometimes two jobs in a day, not to mention alot of kids stuff). I just figured if I can't give it my all, why not wait and see. I can always try again if I choose to. But if i make a stupid mistake now because I'm doing it for the wrong reasons, there may not be that alternative.

Anyway, thanks for all the input and choices. :)
Life is too short. Don't sweat the small stuff.

but but... we can still have kinky skydiver sex, right???

Seriously tho ( I really am serious about the sex, but that's another matter) I'm behind you whatever you decide (d) to do. There's lots more to life than jumping outta airplanes. Speaking of, I recall a gift certificate for horseback riding that could be used :)
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Hey Skye..
Just because you don't go up and jump outta da plane with us doesn't mean you aren't part of our family.. I love that there is room for non-skydivers in the dropzone family. We have a non-jumping packer (Nick0, a dubber and manifest chickie (you), a ground photographer (Lany), a pilot (Mongo) and a dz toddler (Jett). All of you guys are a big part of the make-up of our dz. It makes it feel more like a family because you guys are there.. If you ever decide to jump again, that's cool.. if not, that's way cool too. Love ya either way. ;)
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

Skye, you are so awesome for making such a difficult choice. It takes a VERY strong woman to step away when her BF and many friends jump every weekend. I am VERY happy and proud of you for being so smart and making a decision that is best for yourself. I do hope that you will make trips to other DZ boogies and/or down here to Perris every so often with your friends and Lummy.

Also, if you ever change your mind, you will be welcome back with open arms. :)

I was under a lot of job stress when I was a skydiving student - so much so that it was a major distraction.

If there's too much going on in the rest of your life, you might be better off waiting until circumstances change. You'll have to decide for yourself what the best course of action should be.

I almost found out the hard way that distraction in this sport can be deadly.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

And the spark comment came about because I was talking to one of my instructors and said "I don't get that 'gotta get back in the air' feeling". So the response was "so there isn't a spark?" I agreed with that.....
......I just figured if I can't give it my all, why not wait and see.

Wise decision, in more ways than you may know.

I firmly believe the "spark" is not only what makes you want to get back in the air, but it also serves to increase your safety.

This means, that if you have a real passion, a real enthusiasm, a real unquenchable thirst for skydiving, you are apt to study, get tips from others, practice your moves, study some more - and all not because you have to - but because you want to.

The more you know, the more you practice, and the more you study, the more equipped you'll be to handle situations that come your way - which is another way of saying more safety-minded.

But the second thing that the spark does is to keep you on your toes. It's not just what you know, but how you execute it when called on. When you are really into something, your senses are alert and keenly focused. On the other hand, complacency kills.

Good call all the way around. I would never pursue skydiving unless you had that fire in your belly about it - Just don't think it is one of those things you can be half-hearted about -

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

You are just mad that I gave up my yahoo messenger!:P:P

No worries -
Do what YOU want - not what everyone else thinks you should.

That and drink heavily.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

So. I've been practicing my arch again with all those unsuspecting students for nothing!

Sky. I feel you, man. After 9 years and over 2000, jumps I took a break. I called it a vibe break. No spark. Whatever. I just wasn't right, and I knew it. Pulled between the Pro Shop, a new job, a toddler and a husband that also wants to be on every load. It just lost priority, and I could honestly not give a shit if I jumped or not.

That spark is coming back now. Thanks for making me get up and do those AFFs by the way.

But now for the important stuff....

... you should quit manifest and come work upstairs for me! B|:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I've decided not to continue with my AFF right now. It's been a tough thing to decide on, but as one of my instructors put it "there's just no spark".

Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive.

:)

:( You are still a skychick in my eyes! :)
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

Hey baby. It's a good decision for you at the moment. With all the stuff going on, it would be hard to concentrate on skydiving. You still have so many freinds at the dz so it's awesome you're gonna continue working there. Big hugs to you!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

But now for the important stuff....

... you should quit manifest and come work upstairs for me! B|:)

I saw THAT coming! :P

[runs back to Hollister]

Why? Are you afraid, I'll try to get YOU to for with me too? I'm an excellent boss, you know? Underpay, overwork, no benefits, make you live in a trailer..... the list goes on and on....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Hey Skye..
Just because you don't go up and jump outta da plane with us doesn't mean you aren't part of our family.. I love that there is room for non-skydivers in the dropzone family. We have a non-jumping packer (Nick0, a dubber and manifest chickie (you), a ground photographer (Lany), a pilot (Mongo) and a dz toddler (Jett). All of you guys are a big part of the make-up of our dz. It makes it feel more like a family because you guys are there.. If you ever decide to jump again, that's cool.. if not, that's way cool too. Love ya either way. ;)

Oh oh oh...and The Dude the pit bull...he is also a non skydiver who hangs out with skydivers
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

Everyone at Byron loves you to death girlie ;) .... I wish I had the choice right now, but if I felt the way you did I would be making the same decision. Maybe someday we will both be newbies and play in the air together... but if that doesn't happen, we can always play together on the ground. ;):)