Brian425

Trees hurt!!!

On 8/7/04 I landed out. (Check incidents for the story) So here is what it looks like when boy meets tree while landing. I was wearing a full face oxygen helmet. I basically trashed it. I think it saved my life or at the very least prevented more damage.

I'll be back in the air the end of Sept if all goes well. Surgery is tomorrow 8/17. I get a plate and some screws to rebuild my cheek bone and eye socket. And the doctor will fix my nose too while he's in there.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Actually in the big picture, it's pretty good. All the swelling has gone down and I look almost normal right now. That picture was 3 days later after LOTS of ice and rest.

Life is good though. The guys at the Ranch looked out for me. And my family is ALWAYS there for me. Also I have good insurance from work. Life goes on with a lesson learned.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Why cant the helmets offer more protection. I bought my Z1 expecting something like a motorcycle helmet, that arrived thinner than a football helmets shell?

Protection is not it's main function. Looks cool though, doesn't it?

Michael

Why cant the helmets offer more protection. I bought my Z1 expecting something like a motorcycle helmet, that arrived thinner than a football helmets shell?

They are built to offer a limited amount of protection from door dings and getting kicked in the head while turning points. To protect you against head on collisions with trees would require them to be much, much larger and therefore -less- safe for the majority of the time you'd be wearing them.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Why cant the helmets offer more protection.

I've always wondered the same; the protec is honestly probably the safest helmet out there for impact, i.e. not riser slap. With a background in composite design and mechanical engineering, I have long wondered if designing and marketing a helmet that actually provides protection against moderate impacts would sell, or if people already having their Z1, Oxygn, and Hurricaines would just say screw it.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

Well, if you honestly feel that you're canopy contol skills are such that you may require protection against immoveable objects upon landing, perhaps you should consider wearing something designed for that type of impact like a motorcycle helmet? Either that or stay out of the forest when skydivingB|

Action©Sports

Just ask the Uruk Hais. Trees can be some mean mother f*ckers.

They don't screw with me though, because I can make fire in about twenty minutes with no easy spark. >:(

Fire is RED, did you know that?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

They are built to offer a limited amount of protection from door dings and getting kicked in the head while turning points. To protect you against head on collisions with trees would require them to be much, much larger and therefore -less- safe for the majority of the time you'd be wearing them.

Why haven't we gone to a kevlar shell?? :| Weight would be approx. the same...
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

The shell only protects against the helmet being punctured, doesn't do much to protect your brain. The only thing that protects your brain is some sort of impact absorbing padding. That means thick and heavy. Like someone else said, motorcycle type helmets would protect better for this kind of thing. But given this is skydiving, not motorcycling, I'd expect a whole lot more neck injuries on deployment than any kind of benefit on landing. You'd be better served getting some canopy coaching with the money you'd spend on a helmet.

Just be happy you still have your life (and eye). B|

btw, a motorcycle helmet would just break your neck on a hard opening...to much weight on top of a little neck when there is whip-lash going on.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

The shell only protects against the helmet being punctured, doesn't do much to protect your brain. The only thing that protects your brain is some sort of impact absorbing padding.

Of all the helmets out there the good ol' student-type Pro-tec is the most absorbent to impact. Seriously. Look at all that foam!!

Force = MV/t

ltdiver

a motorcycle helmet would just break your neck on a hard opening...to much weight on top of a little neck when there is whip-lash going on.

Actually a modern full face snell/dot approved helmet is quite lightweight and because it encases the head rather than sitting the weight on top it the chances of it breaking the neck are quite low. Most skydiving helmets mounting a camera or two weigh more than your typical street bike helmet.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

a motorcycle helmet would just break your neck on a hard opening...to much weight on top of a little neck when there is whip-lash going on.

Actually a modern full face snell/dot approved helmet is quite lightweight and because it encases the head rather than sitting the weight on top it the chances of it breaking the neck are quite low. Most skydiving helmets mounting a camera or two weigh more than your typical street bike helmet.

Roy

I'm not comparing motorcycle to skydiving camera helmet. Heck, look at what Tom Sanders started out jumping!!!! Very few would/could jump something of that magnatude. I'm comparing simple full-face to full-face.

On the 'lightweight modern snell/dot approved motorcycle helmet'....could you post a clicky so we can all be more informed? Thanks.

ltdiver

Oh my goodness. I'm glad you're OK Brian. At least you'll have a story to tell out of it...might want to think of something more interesting than you got in a fight with a tree. Ha ha ha!

I have a scar on my back from when I was younger (and tan as they come) from a cancerous mole removed. The scar is your average scar, but I tell people who ask that I was bit by a shark out surfing. 99% of the time they buy it and it's more fun to tell than "I stayed in the sun too long". Ha hah a:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.